Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 03:39:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: How sensitive are you? What was your score?
Less than 20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51-60
61-70*
71-80**
80+ ***

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SELF ASSESSMENT | How sensitive are you?  (Read 7322 times)
deirdre

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2018, 01:58:34 AM »

I seem to be highly-sensitive, not very surprising considering. I have repeatedly desired to buy outrageously expensive headphones to block out all sound when I am trying to do my art or just anytime when i get overloaded. Living in a very loud household it makes it worse. Someday I will either live alone where it is quiet or buy overpriced headphones.

I also have a lot of problems with textures, some days I can wear a shirt with a seem down the side.  Other days I can't handle a seem, or material etc... .As mentioned about I do art, I can't stand the feeling of most paper. It gives me the nails on a chalkboard feeling, speaking of chalk I can't even touch chalk or be in the same room where it is being used. So I guess it shouldn't surprise me to get such a high score, but I am only recently out of my denial stage of having sensory processing difficulties. Now to accept them and tackle the challenge of learning better coping methods! Currently I cope by having dogs and training/puppy raising service dogs, that process is actually what made me realize I did have some problems that need to be addressed not ignored.

-My mind is like a bad neighborhood, I try not to walk there alone-
Lady Itone

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2018, 08:04:07 AM »

I'm very much an "HSP" I've read Aron's books they helped me a lot.

The older I get, the easier it becomes figuring out how to deal with this. Sometimes it's as simple as don't go to loud concerts, get enough alone time, etc...

I'm still wayyyy too easily devastated by cruelty and injustice in the world, never quite figured out how to tolerate that one.

Libra

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2018, 05:33:21 AM »

Funny, for someone who easily judges herself as cold and callous.
I think D9 is even higher. I suspect that does not simplify the dynamics between the 2 of us.

Libra.

Don't do unto others what you don't want others to do unto you. ~ Confucius.
Feeling Better

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2018, 04:06:08 AM »

I am not “in the mix” with my uBPD son anymore as he has chosen to be NC with me which brings with it it’s own form of anguish. It’s a different kind of struggle for me but still a struggle nonetheless.

FB

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading ~ Lao Tzu
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »

So when I took this back in 3/2015, I scored 60 and attributed my relatively low score to a reduction in my PTSD symptoms.

Today I re-took it and scored 83.  It makes sense though.  My PTSD symptoms are still sort of okay (according to my T I show moderate impairment in social situations ).  I think what makes me score higher is that I am not in a state of dissociation as much.  When I say dissociation, I am talking about mild dissociation, with numbing or shutting down when emotions got too high.  The shut down would happen so fast I never registered being upset or having emotions.  I read it as being stoic, callous or heartless.  Turns out, I am none of those things.

So yeah, as I become more aware of my own emotions and deal with anxiety better and therefore dissociate less, I score higher.

It's all good.  

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Doggilama

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2019, 08:06:49 PM »

115 - Oh, well. Could be worse! Maybe we should all move to the same PTSD survivor's planet. I'm in a lot of transition in my life so I think my symptoms are worse. Recent break up & living in a new area where I've never lived before. In the NE & it's winter. I lived in Los Angelos for 18 yrs & thinking to take my animals & go back for a month or so.
Bnonymous

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2019, 01:55:35 PM »

Are we supposed to see a high score as a bad thing, a good one, or just neutral (neither bad nor good but just fact)? I guess I'm asking if this involves value judgements or merely description?

"You remind me of someone who is looking through a closed window and cannot explain to himself the strange movements of a passer-by. He doesn’t know what kind of a storm is raging outside and that this person is perhaps only with great effort keeping himself on his feet." - Ludwig Wittgenstein
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2019, 02:57:30 PM »

Are we supposed to see a high score as a bad thing, a good one, or just neutral (neither bad nor good but just fact)? I guess I'm asking if this involves value judgements or merely description?

It's a self awareness test. Highly sensitive means more than most people and implies many things such as the need to be aware and self sooth and to be aware and understand that others might no be on the same page.

https://hsperson.com/

If I was highly sensitive to sugar is that a bad thing, a good one, or just neutral.   

It says I need to be aware and make adjustments, allowances, etc. otherwise it is likely to become a problem.

Sandb2015

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living apart, kicked out on 12/19 after meeting 3/19/2015

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2019, 04:08:27 PM »

I am a 73.

No surprise.  Noise, stimulus, smells except for too much perfume have no effect as well as pain, physical pain, I'm almost immune.

The rest, I knew I'm sensitive actually, very aware.  I've been most sensitive in my current relationship.  It has been controllable mostly until I fell in love with her.  Learning about this illness has shined the light on my own issues in a concentrated way.

Just because you think it, doesn't make it true.
HappyChappy

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2019, 03:20:06 AM »

I get 83 which I note is very close to other members I know have CPTSD on here.

I'm calm in a crisis, its just the waiting for the crisis I can't take !  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

My BPD would probably score 666, she was the most sensitive. But she always accused my sister of that.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. Wilde.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2019, 08:19:39 AM »

i gave myself a 93.

on a lot of things i rate pretty high. im not sensitive at all to things like lights, color, noise. some aspects of my environment im very sensitive to, some i dont even notice or otherwise dont affect me.

ridiculously picky eater. i generally feel emotions pretty strongly, and i can get really hung up on things that others wouldnt.

i need space and alone time, though i wouldnt say more than the average introvert.

never had any understanding for art, but very moved by music since i was old enough to remember. huge pet peeve is when people talk while its playing.

with everything else, it depends.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Enabler

Relationship status: Living apart

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2019, 10:03:18 AM »

Some of the answers I scored highly on are due to my heightened emotional state, like a slamming door will abnormally startle me. My work involves chaos and stress, I think I'd melt if I was at all sensitive.  

itsmeSnap

"Tree of the young brave king"

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2019, 03:08:53 AM »

This seems rigged  I answered mostly 1's and 2's and a few higher and still got above average?

Excerpt
If fewer questions are true of you, but extremely true, that might also justify calling you highly sensitive.
Oh..

Not all those who wander are lost
HappyChappy

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2019, 05:34:39 AM »

Can’t help noticing that those with a parent with BPD mostly score high, but those with a partner or child vary from low to high. Except Turk but then he thinks he’s a wolf so...

I bet Sherlock Holmes scored way high (and not just for opium).

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. Wilde.
LumosNox22

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2019, 11:38:21 AM »

So I got 75. I didn't realize that being startled by things (which I jump a lot even when I know someone is home but I'm not "scared")...could have been a long term effect? I'm glad I'm going to start to talk to a therapist soon.
acousticSR

« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2019, 12:24:42 AM »

I've known that I'm highly sensitive, but I didn't realize it was that high. I find it really cool and comforting that so many of us who have experience loving people with BPD are highly sensitive. It makes me feel less alone in two really big ways.

Scarlet Phoenix
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Together 9 years

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2019, 08:47:06 AM »

As expected, really. I can spend hours alone without any auditive or visual stimuli. When I've been around people for a while, even if I really enjoyed my time with them, I need to be alone. I hate talking on the phone and will frequently screen calls.

Spent most of my time watching Game of Thrones with my hands in front of my eyes and the sound muted 

I'm often moved by music and photography, poems and stories, but I'm not really into other kinds of art.

~~ The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; who strives valiantly; who errs; who comes short again and again ... and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly ~~ Become who you are ~~
Longterm

Relationship status: Divorce in progress

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2019, 04:24:44 PM »

No real surprise. The girls at work told me im a really sensitive guy, but said that its a very good thing? I have always tried to hide it as I know that I am indeed very sensitive, it would appear that I dont do it very well. If im were to be honest, I would say that I find the world around me very scary. I enjoy being alone, it suits me. Ive never been the kind of guy to go on nights out etc, I would prefer to be indoors most of the time unless im fishing, cant really get out of that . Loud noises make me jump out my skin and if im around somebody whos mood changes I feel very, very uncomfortable. I will normally try to fix the issue or get away from it.

It is, was, and always will be, all about her.
todayistheday

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2019, 05:06:08 PM »

I do value alone time and I do not like to have a lot of confusion and disorganization.  I abhor violence in movies and TV shows,  I prefer G-rated and light-hearted things.  I dislike horror movies.

* I use hBPD rather than uBPD.  My Mom has not been evaluated for BPD, but I have a professional hypothesis from a therapist who I discussed the relationship with. She assigned me the eggshells book.  At the next meeting when I told her how many things in the book were Mom, therapist was certain.
CounselorOChaos
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2019, 03:36:22 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who blew the charts on this assessment.  Living with a man with BPD, which has self-corrected to a certain degree as we both age, but now highlights the other cluster personalities really hasn't helped me overcome my life-long highly sensitive state, nor has my PTSD. But, alas! We highly sensitive people are always the ones with the problem and are crazy. 

secretgirl

« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2019, 05:44:23 PM »

I got 115. Haha these questions are similar to a condition my therapist mentioned to me maybe having once called low latent inhibition.
It is said if you’re an empath , like myself, and pay attention to a lot of detail etc you may have some sort of low latent inhibition or something similar to it .
I find I get obsessed with certain things too and then can’t let them go until I know it perfectly Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) maybe that’s why I attracted my bpd ... a combination of the empath plus challenge (not a good combo if you ask me haha ) they’re out of this world . Anything based purely off emotion does not make sense to me , being a logical person and all.
LogicalNot
Fewer than 3 Posts

Relationship status: Married/Estranged

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2021, 11:11:52 PM »

Score = 121

Wow!     
Not surprised, I learned about being an HSP this past year.  Did not know the name for what was going on.
Very interesting!
loldebyte

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2022, 10:39:41 AM »

About 97.

I've been told by many friends that they were suspicious I was highly sensitive, so I expected a high score. I didn't expect that high a score but from what I'm reading it is no surprise.
PowerChild

Relationship status: Dating

« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2022, 12:40:20 PM »

Yeah, I'm a Highly Sensitive Person.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture