Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 06, 2024, 04:12:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now he can't pick up daughter  (Read 419 times)
rarsweet

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: December 17, 2015, 10:51:02 AM »

Ex had told me that the woman he has been staying with was going to move after Christmas. I saw on her FB that she had moved last week. (Exes only address on court record says he lives at his sister's 2 hours away) Ex is supposed to have daughter Christmas Eve until Christmas morning. I have asked him a few times if he was going to be able to have daughter that overnight. His reply has been that he wants to just come over and watch her open presents at my house  that morning. I offered to let him take daughter for the night before also so he could take her to see his sister. He has hemmed and hawed and not given an answer. I texted him this morning and said that since his friend had moved I needed a physical address for him and that I needed to know his plan for Christmas Eve so that I could plan my day. ( I also have to drop off my older children to their dad and I have family coming).

His response was : Oh hey! I've had something come up. I will get that to you. We just moved her so everything is getting changed over real quick. Been busy busy busy. Could I call you real quick and explain? Could I call you in the next few minutes? I have a situation that I am looking to hear back on. It will be quick I promise. I am sorry I am not trying to pester you.  Something came up last night is all.

I told him I couldn't answer the phone.

Him: Do you think you could call me later?

I said no.

Him: I apologize. I don't know how it's going to turn out but my truck won't start and I think I need an alternator. I was out most of the night working with it. I did not realize the significance of the problem. I am waiting on help to go get it but unknown to the situation it has interfered with me getting daughter. With I am really sorry for as well. I am still trying but if you have an alternative as to not disrupt your work schedule I am game. Once again, sorry for short notice but it's the nature of the beast and I am doing my best considering .

I just replied that I would get a sitter and that I needed a physical address and needed to know if I should get a sitter for tomorrow and need to know his plans for Christmas Eve.

Him:I will let you know later. I would love to have us both with her on this Christmas even if it is just for a little while.

This is just a few hours before I have to be to work. Ugh. And I am just getting a sitter for tomorrow. I can't just wait around and try to figure it out last minute.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 12:36:04 PM »

Clearly, his repeated solution is for you all to get together.  Generally, sharing a holiday on either parent's turf is a bad idea, it weakens boundaries and invites more boundary pushing.  Though there is parenting shared to some extent, your lives need to be otherwise separate.  Examples of valid shared times are school activities such as a game, play, graduation, or comparable events.  Perhaps you could agree to a neutral location such as a restaurant, park, etc?

When in doubt, stick to your boundaries.  Don't let your Ex make Ex's problems your problems.

Don't let others make their problems your problems.  A long time ago when I was younger I worked as a lobby receptionist at a large hotel.  Passersby would come in to take a look around.  Sometimes people would come in and try to guilt me into letting them use a restroom.  Sometimes even with kids hopping around desperate for, um, relief.  I said the bathrooms were in the rooms.  Sometimes they said, "Then where do you go?"  And I replied, ":)ownstairs, in the basement, in a locked area.  Please, there are restaurants across the street and down the block."  Firm boundaries... .and redirection.

You did well to default to the order.  Let it be a support for you, lean on it, well, especially when it works out in your favor.   Don't let them catch you off guard and guilt or pressure your firm (but reasonable) boundaries.

Don't feel bad about sticking to the order or your boundaries.  While you don't have to always stick to it, there will always be exceptions in life, but understand well that the more exceptions you allow - or enable - the more pressure there will be for more and more deviations.

rarsweet

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 02:47:07 PM »

I have sent him pics of daughter before, like with the Easter bunny. He has taken pics of daughter in my apartment back when I let him come here. I have heard comments from customers at work that make me believe he is passing these pics off as his, like he took her to see the bunny, stuff like that. His fb is filled with people from all over, places he has lived. Those people aren't aware of his real situation. Before he blocked me on fb I saw a post where he said daughter loves the pet store so much he brings her once a week. I told him she loved the pet store! They have a bird room that we go just to visit. He said he had never thought to just visit a pet store. I don't want him over xmas taking pics and passing it off as presents he got her when he hasn't got her anything at all. I don't want to deal with his anxiety, I don't want her day ruined. I want her to tear apart everything and have fun.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest