Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 05:49:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guardianship trial starts next month  (Read 471 times)
NorthernGirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married

« on: January 13, 2016, 02:17:23 PM »

I was reading the thread started by mm1024 about Going to Trial and thought I would provide an update on DH's situation. Thanks LivednLearned and others for your comments on that thread and many others as information about what has happened with others has helped me.

In DH's case, his ex is trying to get sole guardianship of SS21, who has special needs. DH and his ex have been joint guardians since SS turned 18, but you can imagine how smoothly that has gone.  Smiling (click to insert in post) Their joint agreement said that they would take disagreements to an arbitrator -- problem is that DH's ex dragged her feet on hiring an arbitrator and then fired the only one she would agree on. He was a retired judge and she called him unprofessional, biased, etc. and asked him to withdraw. DH has endured the madness of trying to work jointly with his ex because DH's L didn't figure DH would get sole guardianship (not common for the courts to award it if both parents want to be involved.) And because SS21 really wants to have both parents (he is all about fairness, 50/50, etc.) as his guardians. DH's ex is filing for sole saying that she can't work with DH and that DH is unfit as a guardian.

DH's ex has sent hundreds of emails over the years, and DH has kept most of them. In some cases, DH's ex has attached some of her inflammatory emails to her own affidavit, which is fascinating. She even included two emails she sent to her L years ago that show how she tried to explain her actions at the time. These emails show all sorts of twists of the truth and projections. We would have never seen these emails to her L if she hadn't put them in her evidence, so it is fascinating reading. I guess she figures it is a good summary of her memory of the time. Meanwhile, DH had filed an affidavit in court a few months after those emails, which outlines all the things going on, with email evidence, etc. Just reading her emails compared to his affidavit explain why it is so difficult to work with her. Because his old affidavit was filed, it can be used as evidence in this case which has turned out to be very important. Much of what DH's ex has brought up is old and based on her memory. DH has sworn, filed evidence to pull from. I'm not sure she remembered or told her L about the filed affidavit, but I imagine the L is realizing things may not be as they have been relayed by her client.

We are getting huge lawyer bills leading up to the trial. At least DH's L has really tried to limit her billing. His affidavit has included the provision for his ex to pay costs if the judge doesn't grant her sole guardianship, but DH's L warned that "costs" won't include much and most judges are reluctant to award against a single mom. DH and I have spent hours going through his ex's affidavit pointing out all the inaccuracies and pointing to evidence in all the filed documents. It is horribly time consuming because almost everything DH's ex says has a grain of truth. So we have to see where she contradicts herself and that takes a lot of time (which is why her sending hundreds of emails is both good for evidence but bad for the hours it takes to read and sort them all!)

So my advice as others have said over and over here is Document Everything! Actually looking back some type of log or diary would have been helpful to make it easier to sort through what was happening and when because this has gone on for so many years.

Both SS21 and DH are understandably nervous about the trial. For SS21, he has been told so much conflicting information, he isn't sure what will happen. His Mom has told him it would be up to him to pick which parent would be his guardian.   We have corrected that and in fact DH has told SS21 that he isn't even going for sole as his first option. Instead he is going for joint with a much more rigorous process around hiring/firing of arbitrators. So we try to help SS21 keep things in perspective (he is with each parent 50/50 so we usually have to go through a process at the beginning of each week with us to get him calmed down.) SS21 has a T but frankly the person isn't very good and until this all shakes out, DH can't suggest pursuing someone else. DH has tried to get SS21 some support during the time he has to be in court and a tour of the court and a neutral party explaining what will happen. His ex must agree to this as well, and so far has blocked all support. She says he's doing fine.

DH is struggling as he basically has to relive the last 8 or 9 years as he reads all her "evidence". He has a horrible memory (likely a coping mechanism) so I am often remind him of what was going on as we sort through the mountains of evidence. It will be a long 5 weeks leading up to the trial. We are trying to look after ourselves as best we can -- exercising, eat healthy -- but often our sleep isn't sound with all the stuff bouncing in our heads. Doesn't help that I'm menopausal.  Smiling (click to insert in post)  DH will have to endure his ex's L trying to trip him up, which is ugly when his ex has twisted pretty much everything and it isn't easy for him to remember timing and sequences of events. His L is going prep in the next few weeks to help prepare him for that.

I will try to post on here what works and doesn't work so others can learn, as it has helped me reading others posts here. Please continue to post ideas and suggestions if you have them.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

[/url]
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »

Hey, don't feel bad if you need to seek sole custody.  Have you determined whether it would be better for H to seek DM/TB (Decision Making or Tie Breaker - next best thing to sole custody but ex can still claim joint parenting)?  And then only if Ex doesn't like his DM or TB then she can call in the Arbitrator.  That way the ball will always be in her court and not for H to get stuck.

Frankly, it will continue to be horrendous if everything gets shunted to the arbitrator first.  Yes, he tried that but she sabotaged it and at the very least caused lengthy delays.  You know she will do it again if the order just gets tightened a little bit.  So... .try a variation... .court can rule to let him proceed with his DM/TB and only if she disagrees then she would be the one to seek arbitration.  Sweet, huh?  Delays avoided.  And by the time it gets a hearing the issue might even be moot.

Frankly, too, this time in court is the best time to do it.  You'll have tons of history and evidence to demonstrate her patterns.  Next time you might not have as much to support you.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 10:58:22 AM »

We are getting huge lawyer bills leading up to the trial. At least DH's L has really tried to limit her billing. His affidavit has included the provision for his ex to pay costs if the judge doesn't grant her sole guardianship, but DH's L warned that "costs" won't include much and most judges are reluctant to award against a single mom.

It's also a bear to get paid   What it does do is make it easier (if there is a next time) for the judge to see just how frivolous the lawsuit was. Best-case scenario, you get awarded costs and BPD mom actually pays. Second-best scenario is that you are awarded costs. My case was off the rails with this particular thing -- my ex was told three times to pay my costs (a mysterious amount that can only cover certain costs, and seems to be determined by your lawyer and the judge's discretion). It didn't dissuade him from taking me to court, but I think that's because he is an attorney and was representing himself. For your BPD person, it's possible that the sanctions will dissuade her from doing this again. Or it will help prevent a lawyer from taking her case.

Excerpt
DH and I have spent hours going through his ex's affidavit pointing out all the inaccuracies and pointing to evidence in all the filed documents. It is horribly time consuming because almost everything DH's ex says has a grain of truth. So we have to see where she contradicts herself and that takes a lot of time (which is why her sending hundreds of emails is both good for evidence but bad for the hours it takes to read and sort them all!)

So my advice as others have said over and over here is Document Everything! Actually looking back some type of log or diary would have been helpful to make it easier to sort through what was happening and when because this has gone on for so many years.

Being prepared for trial felt like a full-time job. It's exhausting, cognitively and emotionally. The thing that helped me most was using Google calendar to enter things, and then printing out the calendar as an agenda. That gave me a timeline of everything that happened -- under all that stress, my memory was shot and I am so grateful for the advice here to create a timeline.

Excerpt
DH will have to endure his ex's L trying to trip him up, which is ugly when his ex has twisted pretty much everything and it isn't easy for him to remember timing and sequences of events. His L is going prep in the next few weeks to help prepare him for that.

A few things helped me with this. One -- I didn't look directly at the lawyer, I looked somewhere neutral, and in the beginning, would often look directly at my lawyer. I also learned it was ok to take a few moments to answer. My court room was big and intimidating, and the acoustics with the microphone were so well engineered that it took me by surprise how my voice sounded coming over the speakers. It's easy to get swept up in the emotions, but the more you can de-personalize what is being said, the better off. If it's any consolation, my ex's lawyer eventually withdrew from the case and when he saw my lawyer over a different case, he expressed some choice words about N/BPDx. Lawyers are ethically bound to represent their clients; that doesn't mean they like or believe their clients. Their sole purpose is to try and get their clients what they want. If your case goes the way mine did, ex's lawyer will have a moment in court where it's palpable that he realizes just how snowed he's been.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this, and if I remember correctly, SS21 is expected to be there too. What an awful experience for him to go through.  :'(  I hope your judge is compassionate and that you're all able to get a good night's rest the night before trial. It helps a lot to be rested.

Breathe.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 01:48:04 PM »

The reason I posted as I did about TB & DM (sounds masochistic, doesn't it?  Smiling (click to insert in post)) is that your judge may prefer the concept of "provide a long term better solution" rather than "fix this one complaint".  A lot depends upon what type of case you have pending, whether it can amend the order in a substantive way and whether the judge and court utilize TB/DM.

So one strategy to have in court is not just to present DH as endlessly harried by his ex's wide-ranging claims but also depict him as a Problem Solver, someone who has presented solutions to make the order more practical and that it will be a longer-term fix, something encouraged in the SPLITTING handbook and Bill Eddy's other books and articles.  Remember, this is Long Term Care to a certain extent.  The order has to be adjusted to work for decades, not just a few more years until adulthood.

NorthernGirl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 11:08:22 AM »

Thanks ForeverDad and livednlearned! Always good to hear what others have done.

ForeverDad -- guardianship doesn't seem to have the same options as custody. Once a person is deemed to need guardianship, the options are sole or joint, as far as we can see. We've been trying to come up with a different long term solution, so we'll keep on DH's L about options. In DH's affidavit it says that he would prefer sole, but knows that it won't stop his ex from doing what she's always done. DH's L wants the judge to say that if uBPD wants to "fire" the arbitrator, she has to bring that to the court and pay all costs if it is unjustified. That just sounds like more years of legal bills. 

livednlearned -- Thanks for the idea of looking at your L instead of at uBPD. I had DH look at the mediator when they tried a mediated session, and he said it really helped. The judge will decide if he/she talks in a small room with the two lawyers (neither parent will be there), or if he does it in the full court setting. No matter what SS21 will be terrified. His Mom has been feeding him a lot of stuff, and we are a month away so it will only get worse.

You are right about how exhausting it is.

[/url]
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest