Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 09:28:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning up My Side of the Street  (Read 928 times)
Grey Kitty

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 04:00:51 PM »

It is very true I get triggered by rages. My response is usually panic and fear. I get flooded. It feels awful—like I want to run, to hide. My therapist says basically my body thinks I am going to die.

And anytime somebody rages at you, you have to deal with both the rage and what is happening in your body.

In your shoes, I would have to deal with the rage, but my mind/body has a reaction that is 1~10% of what yours does to you. 

Excerpt
However, even if I wasn't triggered I am not sure that we can always control or choose appropriate actions when someone rages out of control. A two year old who is having a temper tantrum you can gently pick up and take to their room. A fifty-six year old man you cannot.

I agree on that limit--you cannot do that with a fifty-six year old man... .or it takes a 911 call and a couple beefy cops to "take him to his room."

Excerpt
My ex has an explosive temper. I often didn't know when he would rage. There were many times he raged at me in the car. He raged at me on trips we took together. He raged at me when we were in a hotel room out of town, late at night. They were not situations I predicted, and they were not situations I could just exit. I remember once him raging at me in a hotel room out of town. I got horribly triggered, and insisted he drive me home. I spent hours in a car listening to him rage at me while I cried and was so triggered I got sick to my stomach.

I think what people here would suggest is not putting yourself in a spot where you are trapped with someone who rages. But when you don't know when the rage will occur, then that is not possible, unless you reduce your relationship to... well, nothing.

At any time you have some choice in your actions. In some cases, none of your choices will protect you (or your children) the way you want to be protected. That said, some choices will do better than others.

Reducing your relationship with your ex nothing is your choice if I remember correctly. This is your choice, you don't need my input or validation... .but I concur that it sounds like the best choice for you anyway.

I've recommended to members here with raging/abusive partners that they do avoid ever getting in a car, especially with their partner driving, for that exact reason.

The hotel room out of town has more choices--you can walk out, pay for another room in that hotel or one nearby, or pay for independent transportation home, assuming you have access to money to make this happen. This *might* have been a better choice than demanding he drive you home. Another choice might have been spending the night in a local (to to the hotel) domestic violence shelter. Or taking the car and driving yourself home, leaving him to sort out his transportation issues.

Please be gentle with yourself looking back at that situation; you did the best you knew at the time, and were obviously traumatized badly... .beating yourself up more for letting it happen isn't helpful today.

Excerpt
I do think there is a difference between an expression of anger ("I am so mad right now!" and an abusive rage ("You b-word! You are a worthless piece of **!" especially when it crosses into physical and menacing behavior.

Agree 100% on the difference. I cannot think of situations where staying in the presence of somebody raging sounds like a good choice, unless you are the parent of a two-year-old or a professional in something like mental health or law enforcement on the job.

Excerpt
One thing I see on these boards that concerns me is people perhaps inadvertently enabling the abuse by trying to work through it.

I agree--that is concerning. And worth watching for and trying to correct, or offer other perspectives / options at least.

Most of us arrive here on these boards doing a heck of a lot of enabling in a whole bunch of ways, and recognizing and stopping that behavior is quite a journey. This is one more piece of it... .

Excerpt
I think we may also have gender differences at work here. I am a small woman. I think sometimes men have an easier time handling rage in other men because they can fight back. As a woman I can and have been hurt physically by men. It comes with a different sense of vulnerability.

Yes, men and women have differences in how they relate to anger, rage, and violence, and how they are expressed, and how it is perceived when it is expressed.

I'm going to step out on a limb, and say that healthy (or unhealthy) ways to express anger ... .and healthy (or unhealthy) ways to respond to anger are pretty similar between men and women. I don't count physical differences in this, because as soon as it gets to a level of physical violence or threatening/menacing, it is already unhealthy!

Studies on whether men or women are more violent/abusive seem to be kinda unclear--while conventional wisdom seems to be that men are more violent, there are quite a few studies showing that it is more balanced.

Conventional wisdom would also say that women tend to be more fearful of anger/rage than men are... .but I'm unaware of any studies of the matter.

Back on topic--Will gender differences impact cleaning up your side of the street and dealing with your issues?

HurtinNW

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »

Back on topic, no, I don't think gender issues keep me at all from cleaning up my side of the street. I may be a petite little thing, but I got some muscles  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Your point about my options that night in the hotel are really good. I honestly had never thought of it that way. I think when I got triggered I became very narrow in my responses. It never occurred to me to get another room (I could have used my credit card) or take another action. I essentially put myself in his hands. Which is not a wise thing to do with someone who is raging.

Part of my childhood trauma was learning that sometimes if you cry hard enough, or have other helpless/frightened responses, people stop hurting you. I think there was part of me that felt if I showed him my belly, he would stop clawing at it. Instead the opposite always happened: the more I cried, the more enraged he became. I am sure he felt blamed, and projected. But on my side I was reacting in a way I knew from experience would not be helpful.

I always wanted my mother to feel sorry for hurting me. Nothing I said or did could ever make her feel bad. I think I played that out in this relationship. I wanted this man I loved to stop hurting me. I kept inviting him over to fire bomb my side of the street, and then I was hurt when he did, and hurt even more when he felt justified.

This is interesting: During these abuse episodes I was acting in the victim role of the triangle, and yet he saw himself there as well. Neither of us were about to rescue each other. Both of us saw the other one as the persecutor.

I do think I tried really hard to step out of that role, and engage in healthier ways in order to repair the relationship, but at the same time need to take accountability that when he raged and was abusive, that was right where I went, with my PTSD leading the way.

There were things that happened in our relationship that I can see must have been difficult for him, and ate away at his very fragile confidence. There were times I was good at helping him, and then other times I was not. I got frustrated by what I felt was shifting belief systems and lack of accountability. There were times I wanted him to feel bad for hurting me. There are times I still feel that way. I realize that is a very young, hurt part of myself. But it is also me grieving deeply for the loss of this relationship.

Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2016, 11:31:17 PM »

I know what you mean about showing your belly as a way to get somebody to stop clawing at it.

I can hardly count the time my wife was being emotionally/verbally abusive, and would start with something (relatively) mild ... .and I would express vulnerability, saying that this was hurting me, and ask her to stop. And she would double down and say something more hurtful. This would go through a few escalations until I either got triggered enough to start screaming at her (yes, this was a bad idea), or finally figured out that I just had to leave to get out of this.

It took me quite a long time to learn that there are a lot of people who aren't safe that way, and my wife was one of them.

It was really interesting to see my wife's father do this same thing. (I'd say he has pretty mild NPD traits) If you called him on saying something rude, hurtful, or invalidating, his response was to double down and say something more rude, hurtful, or invalidating in response to the challenge. By the time I noticed this I had a lot more tools. I immediately gave up on expecting him to do anything different and just dropped the subject.

when I got triggered I became very narrow in my responses.

EXACTLY.

When you are triggered, your ability to make good choices on how to deal with the situation is greatly reduced. Which makes it harder to get out of a triggering situation ... .which makes it harder to choose a good way out ... .

Yep, that is an ugly cycle.

That is also why it really helps to figure out how you are going to enforce boundaries and protect yourself ahead of time, so you don't have to think much when you are triggered.

Excerpt
I always wanted my mother to feel sorry for hurting me. Nothing I said or did could ever make her feel bad. I think I played that out in this relationship. I wanted this man I loved to stop hurting me. I kept inviting him over to fire bomb my side of the street, and then I was hurt when he did, and hurt even more when he felt justified.

Excerpt
There were times I wanted him to feel bad for hurting me. There are times I still feel that way. I realize that is a very young, hurt part of myself. But it is also me grieving deeply for the loss of this relationship.

Sorting this stuff out ... .and taking care of this young, hurt part of yourself, and grieving may all get mixed in together. It probably won't be an easy process. 
C.Stein

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 07:33:44 AM »

My ex has an explosive temper. I often didn't know when he would rage. There were many times he raged at me in the car. He raged at me on trips we took together. He raged at me when we were in a hotel room out of town, late at night. They were not situations I predicted, and they were not situations I could just exit. I remember once him raging at me in a hotel room out of town. I got horribly triggered, and insisted he drive me home. I spent hours in a car listening to him rage at me while I cried and was so triggered I got sick to my stomach.

Consider this.  Your triggered responses could be fueling his rage.  Can you find a way to respond to the rages that will disperse the storm instead of fueling it?
HurtinNW

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »

C. Stein, I am sure my responses fueled his rage. There were many times I tried not to respond even if triggered. For instance, I made good progress with not crying over the past two years. Since coming here I was using the tools. Sometimes they helped. Still he raged and broke up with me again.

I've decided to not to let him recycle me this time, and to detach. It has been about a month since he raged, was abusive, and left (again). I have not heard from him (yet). I want to detach.

I'm posting to try and figure out my part of the dynamic, to learn more about me and heal. To take accountability for my behaviors.

That said, I also think it is important to recognize that sometimes not matter how we try the relationship won't work. My ex had a very low threshold and got angry a lot, about things ranging from a crumb on the counter to a political opinion or walking past someone smoking on the sidewalk. When he got angry at me he often raged, and his go-to was to break up with me. He broke up with me at least 20 or more times over four years. I honestly don't think I could have prevented all or most of those episodes. In the past few years we have spent more time apart than together. I am just not going to put my kids through that any more. Even if I wanted to practice more tools, I am not doing that to my kids.

Also, my part of it is I fell hard for this guy, and some of the reasons were not healthy for *me.* I suspect if I had been healthier I would have stepped back from a relationship with someone who clearly doesn't want kids, for instance.

I'm not trying to sound sharp here, just clear. I don't want to be encouraged to "try again."
C.Stein

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 10:32:14 AM »

I'm not trying to sound sharp here, just clear. I don't want to be encouraged to "try again."

Understood.  Perhaps it is time to move on to the detaching board? 
HurtinNW

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 11:23:17 AM »

I've been sticking my toe in over there a bit, and also posting on the PI board.

I do think the posters on this board know my story. The level of insight and honesty on this board is pretty high. I'm not sure what the protocol is, but it seems there are other posters here who are also detaching, or detached. I've mentioned that if the moderators want me to move I will... .I think I am making the transition myself, slowly.
Daniell85

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 01:27:28 PM »

I haven't really gone much over to the detaching board, myself, though I have ended my relationship at this time.

Maybe you have some of the reasons I do: I want to be in a more positive environment, I am not sure I am totally done with my ex, and people here really put in the time and effort to encourage that we keep in mind our side of things.

I think there is very much a level of detachment you can strive to have while still being on this board. The cleaning up your side of the street idea keeps some possibilities for the future when we are stronger. I just feel at that point I can make a more informed long term choice once I have healed a while, and processed, therapy, etc.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest