Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 21, 2024, 12:21:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Feeling Good Handbook and the anti medication bias  (Read 406 times)
unicorn2014

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: February 26, 2016, 11:41:28 AM »

So I checked this book out of the library after seeing it referenced on this board and I see that is very negative in regards to medication. I have to say that I believe if I had been given medication as a teen my life would be very different today. My possibly borderline mother is very opposed to medication and doesn't believe in mental illness. Sometimes medication is necessary and therapy will not solve a problem. I think as adult children of disordered parents we need to include all points of view. Some of us were seriously injured by having disordered parents to the point of having our brains altered by trauma and needing to have long term medication to stabilize our brain chemistry.

I want to delineate between depression and trauma. While depression may not need medication I am convinced that trauma absolutely does. I also believe that untreated depression may lead to trauma, and since depression is a biochemical imbalance, the case is pretty strong for medication there too.
Buck

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:31:01 PM »

I agree with your assessment. I am an adult child of disordered parents and experienced a lot of trauma. I became depressed as an adult and began the process of recovery through alanon in my late thirties. It was in alanon that I became open to the idea of medication for my depression and it made a big difference in my life and has aided my recovery. Unfortunately a pill alone can't heal people like me, but it can help.
unicorn2014

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:58:21 PM »

Thanks buck, my blood always runs cold when I see an anti-medication book being promoted. I think it's dangerous.
Kwamina
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 05:04:36 AM »

Unicorn2014,

Every person is different and people do not necessarily respond to the same treatment in the same way:

- Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) has been proven to be effective for many people in certain situations

with certain conditions or disorders

- Mood-altering medication has also been proven to be effective for many people in certain situations with certain conditions or disorders

- The combination of CBT and medication has also been proven to be effective for many people in certain situations with certain conditions or disorders

There are various forms of treatment available and there is no one-size fits all solution.

The mood therapy Dr. Burns presents in his books 'Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy' and 'The Feeling Good Handbook' was primarily developed for the treatment of depression and anxiety. It was not developed for the treatment of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or complex post traumatic stress disorder (c-PTSD).

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
unicorn2014

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »

I understand that but it denigrates drugs that are used to treat complex PTSD. That's all I was saying. The book itself is negative. This site has a more positive view on medication as evidenced in its article on BPD and drugs.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest