Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 09:30:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recovering from the end of a relationship with a BPD  (Read 451 times)
HarleypsychRN

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 28, 2016, 04:16:36 PM »

Hello,

First time here... .I hope to gain some support and tell my story possibly to help others heal. Despite being a psych nurse for 30 years, I fell for a ex-colleague who I suspected (and later confirmed) was a borderline. I blew past every warning sign, past every stop sign thinking I could change her if I just loved her enough. She left abruptly 50 days into the relationship leaving me battered, broken and wondering what the hell just happened.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:27:29 PM »

hey harleypsychRN and Welcome

i remember my own abrupt ending, and i want to let you know youre not alone in this; many here know it well, and youre in good company. ive heard BPD referred to as an "invisible disorder", a term i gripe with since some people more overtly present dysfunction than others, but ive read stories of people in your profession being involved in these relationships, try not to kick yourself.

I hope to gain some support and tell my story possibly to help others heal.

you have our support, we are here for you 24/7. would you like to tell us some more of your story?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
HarleypsychRN

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 07:38:46 PM »

hey harleypsychRN and Welcome

i remember my own abrupt ending, and i want to let you know youre not alone in this; many here know it well, and youre in good company. ive heard BPD referred to as an "invisible disorder", a term i gripe with since some people more overtly present dysfunction than others, but ive read stories of people in your profession being involved in these relationships, try not to kick yourself.

I hope to gain some support and tell my story possibly to help others heal.

you have our support, we are here for you 24/7. would you like to tell us some more of your story?

Yes,

I ended my marriage because I had fallen in love with my "friend" from work. She was on an "on again-off again" relationship with a guy for the past four years. She described him as a Narcissist. I had fallen for her right before she left with him (again) in 2013. I didn't hear from her for about a year and three months, all of a sudden she is emailing me (if I only know then what I know now about BPD) saying he was a drunk and a "child", etc, etc. Only to find out that right before leaving me, she had re-established contact with him, apparently talking bad about me (sound familiar?) Long story short, I confronted her about her problems telling the truth and she left the next morning. What I have come to find out as a result of heavily researching BPD, is this is classic borderline behavior. She idolized me before she got back and then just a quickly tore me down. She left without a hug, handshake or even turning around to look at me.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:18:31 PM »

thats pretty tough, harley. sounds like a pretty confusing whirlwind. i think the dynamic you are describing here is triangulation. you can read more about it on this thread and see if you think it applies: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=121673.0

i noticed in another thread you mentioned youre interested in examining your role in a therapeutic sense. have you had an opportunity to take a look at the lessons (links) to the right?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
HarleypsychRN

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 07:21:19 PM »

thats pretty tough, harley. sounds like a pretty confusing whirlwind. i think the dynamic you are describing here is triangulation. you can read more about it on this thread and see if you think it applies: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=121673.0

i noticed in another thread you mentioned youre interested in examining your role in a therapeutic sense. have you had an opportunity to take a look at the lessons (links) to the right?

Although I have worked with BPD clients in a therapeutic setting, this was of course atypical. My ex told me she was "bipolar" (but under control) which she might have been (but doubtful that she was bipolar at all now). She was a terrific actress, with a problem with the truth. Only when I was with her did she show me the numerous scars from cutting (Uh-huh) but by then I was in too deep. She was a terrific wordsmith, having a knack for explaining away everything.  What fooled me was that she was functional at work, but interpersonally, not so much. The lies got so thick, I'm not sure what was real and what was made-up. As for the triangulation, I have no idea... .I told her that I was not interested in a relationship  where honesty was not a core value. She left the next day. I miss her but the relationship was exhausting and once I discovered her problems with the truth, there's no way I wanted to continue.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest