Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 08:25:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: did you cheat with a BPD partner  (Read 398 times)
snowwhite

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: March 31, 2016, 01:44:37 PM »

My marriage broke up because of my BPD ex-husband's unfaithfulness. There were of course many of the other BPD behavioral problems but that was the one that sunk it.

As part of my attempt to heal, I am trying to understand why anyone would have sex with someone else's spouse or boyfriend or girlfriend. This is not an attempt to judge, but to understand. Those in that situation, would you share?
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »

i sent an inappropriate message to a friend. unknown to me, my ex was checking the email attached to my facebook, so she was able to read the response and knew something was up.

i honestly cant give you much reason as to why i did it other than i failed to control myself, i was certainly satisfied physically and romantically in my relationship, but then plenty of people that cheat are. the reasons that people cheat are usually more about them. even when both parties have a role, theres no excuse.

in the context of BPD, there are lots of thoughts and feelings that may drive cheating. fear of abandonment, fear of being alone, need to feel attached, regulation of emotions, regulation of self esteem. why with someone elses spouse or partner? possibly to keep engulfment fears at bay.

edit: regardless of PDs, this was a deal breaker for you and you acted according to your values. good for you  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
bunny4523

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 02:22:20 PM »

well there are probably many different reasons.  I never cheated on my partner but when I was single, I did end up with a married man.  I guess I would have to say it has to do with insecurities and instant gratification.  In my case, I was going through a break up and scared and he was fun and he was there for me.  He did present it like they were more like roommates and he did have a ton of freedom... .  But still I knew it was wrong.  It is definatley a selish move.  I did it because I felt a strong emotional connection to him.  I ended up breaking it off though because I couldn't deal with the guilt.   
steelwork

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 03:12:28 PM »

My r/s was an affair. He was married and I was in a ltr. I'm trying to think how to answer this question, because I think I should be able to.

On one level the answer is simple: I didn't control my impulses and gave in to my attraction to someone else. But I think you want a fuller answer than that.

My bf (M) and I had been together for 5 years when I met my affair partner (D). When I'd originally met M, I was in a pretty weird place in my life--about 2 years out of an extremely exhausting long term relationship with someone who I did a lot of care-taking for. That person (who is still in my life--I'm still kind of care-taking for him) is not diagnosed as anything but depressed, but my sister in law, who is an NP with extensive experience in psychiatric settings and working with hard core homeless/addict populations, told me he probably has schizotypal personality disorder.

The point is that I was exhausted and had just spent 10 years of my life with a guy who was totally crazy and demanding and dependent. Then I met M. He was older than me by 12 years, extremely intelligent, understood my crazy life very well, seemed like a very stable person, and adored me and thought I had all kinds of potential.

Now, the thing to remember HERE is that I had, essentially, no parenting. I didn't understand it at the time, but M was like a good parent when I needed one badly. I had no experience with someone supporting me emotionally and intellectually, being proud of me, all that stuff. So when M pressed for a relationship, even though I was not sure of my attraction to him, I let myself get swept away. He lived in a different town. Within 10 months I'd moved there with him. Really, my whole life changed radically, and for the better in most ways... .but I was now living with someone who I loved dearly but found I didn't have a lot of sexual chemistry with. And it's hard living with someone under any circumstances, and there were a lot of other problems with the relationship. M became excessively emotionally dependent on me. He was an introvert and only needed me to be happy. He relied on me for all his social needs. I wasn't happy, but (though I did not put it this way to myself) I had come to need him for HIS emotional support, for the things I did not get as a child.

I'm sorry this is so in-depth. But I think there's no quick way to answer your question.

It was an unideal relationship (what one isn't?) in which the attraction was pretty one-sided.

I have a horrible time with decisions.

I had a really messed up childhood, and I have abandonment issues. To paraphrase the report I got from psych testing last fall, one way abandonment fears can manifest is an inability to let go of relationships. That was happening, too.

Also, I have a hard time being loved. It is just hard for me. I have problems. Self-esteem, trust. So that, too, was a stumbling block in my r/s with M.

So that is the backdrop. Then I met D. I was attending a grad program with him, in my home town, which is 3 hrs from where I lived with M. I was staying with family, going home to M every weekend.

I just liked D, thought we would be friends. His background, which had a lot of crazy abuse, both touched and interested me. He was very intelligent, very funny. I felt like we had more in common than anyone else we were in school with, since we were both older and had kind of punk rock youths and had knocked around a lot and had to be self-sufficient. He liked me A LOT. He started calling me all the time. I though he was charming, but I wasn't really sexually attracted to him at first--he was not really my "type" and was very straight/corporate-seeming, despite his background. But I liked talking to him. We were in a situation where we were spending 6 hrs a week in class together. He flattered my work to the skies, asked for my help, really fed my ego. Then he started g-chatting me. That would go on for hours a day sometimes. He was supposed to be at work, but it didn't seem to matter.

Then he said he had a crush on me. I am impulsive, I guess, because I confessed (realizing it as I did), that I had a crush on him as well. We decided it was "harmless." We kept going.

So we were in constant contact on the phone and email and chat at this point, talking about EVERYTHING, finding we had SO MUCH to talk about, UNDERSTOOD each other so well. Mainly I understood HIM so well. This was where the love bombing really kicked in. He could not believe he had met me, wished he'd known me when we were younger, didn't know why everyone wasn't in love with me... .you know the script. When we were physically together, the attraction became really evident. Like shaking, like with a terrible fever.

Should I go on?

We talked a lot about our relationships. I told him I did not want to leave M, that there were too many good things about that relationship. He, on the other hand, told me stuff about his wife that made his marriage sound like a mistake and a dead end. See, the corporate and materialistic values that had turned me off in the beginning? They were HER values, not his. He had capitulated to all her plans and dreams, against his own values, because he was so broken by his terrible childhood and needed her in the beginning to escape his addictions. (Heroin, though clean when he met her, but still on pills and alcohol.) So she was part of pulling himself up out of the gutter. But he had given away too much of himself. Really, his values were MY values.

Now, don't laugh: he said she had BPD.

Now, I am not a cynic, and I also believe he has a good heart. I don't know if he has BPD or what, but I do think he believed all of what he said. I think those feelings were real--even the ones that were projections and mirroring and everything else.

We did not want to let our r/s become physical. I didn't know about emotional affairs, but we were at that point deep into one. We decided we would just not think about the possibility of sex... .until the school year was over, and maybe by then we would be clearer on what we wanted--if we were ready to move on our feelings for each other.

Now, this is something else about me that is hard to really get across without sounding like a total a$$h0le, but... .I just am kind of a free thinker. I mean, I don't just take societal values as received wisdom. I tend to question everything. I also have also placed a very high value on experience. That too was something I grew up with. Look, I'm a child of the sixties and seventies and grew up surrounded by the counterculture. My parents were both nonconformists.

We were in so deep by the end of the school year. I wanted to honor what we had been through. I wanted to not turn from experience. So I agreed to go away for the weekend with him. That was when the affair became sexual.

I was by then a hopeless mess of confused feelings and longing and fear. It was the sweetest feeling I'd ever had, being in his arms, being in his gaze. It felt like the reward for a life of suffering. Still, I had already seen enough  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)  to cause me to keep the breaks on about halfway, but at that point it was downhill. I kept seeing D, but I could not bring myself to leave M, even after he left his wife. He spent another year and a half in love with me (so he said, and so I truly think he believed), but I could not go to him completely. I was paralyzed. I hurt him so badly. I deeply regret all of it.

I don't want to keep going and make this longer. I hope this is somehow helpful in answering your question, which I think is a reasonable one. Again, I don't justify it. I would never ever ever ever do it again. I've paid 100x over for it. But there you have it.

If you have more questions, I would be happy to answer them.

I'm sorry for what you and everyone here went through. In the end, I went through it myself, because he replaced me and lied to me about it until his next r/s was well underway. When he told me about it, I became so crazed with grief that did leave M and tried to get D back, but it was too late.

Steelwork
JerryRG

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 03:51:22 PM »

I never cheated but I was accused of being the father of her sisters baby  , and having gotten someone else pregnant  . I was having sex with her disgusting best friend, (tmi but her friend had hygene issues).

I was sleeping with half the town in her mind, and when I said no to her accusations she could tell it upset me and she took that as me feeling guilty and or lying. No win situation, again this is about me and my acceptance of unacceptable behaviour, I cannot blame her for allowing her to beat me up, I was free to walk away.

Feelings = facts for pwBPD.
Herodias

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 06:02:15 PM »

I was seeing mine for 2 months when I found out he had a gf. I dumped him and 3 months later they broke up. I thought we were "meant to be"... .I confirmed with the ex that they were broken up. She was shocked at how fast he was with me... .but she said she was done with him, but he was still after her. He told me he was done chasing her and wanted me... .That was the huge red flag I ignored! Oddly enough, he dated this current gf during our marriage... .they were written up at work and separated. He ignored her according to the email I read from her when he was in rehab. At the time I found him in bed with another woman, work had just transferred him to the store the current gf worked. He told her we were separated. That was Jan. She promptly left her husband in March(after posting on fb how much she loved her husband in Feb.) and started dating my husband. Next thing you know, she is pregnant. I could swear she has BPD as well! People have told me at his job that worked with the two of them that she was "off" as well as him! So, no... .I will not cheat if I know someone is involved or married. I believe they lie of course, so I could see how someone may start to unknowingly, but I think what's wrong own the world is people not respecting other people, In the end , not respecting themselves... .That's my opinion on that matter. If none of us did it, none of us would have to deal with it. Unfortunately, adultery has been around for ages. The woman I found in my bed knew he was married and didn't care... .personally- I hope it happens to her- karma!
rfriesen

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 06:29:03 PM »

My exBPDgf was engaged when we started together. I was attracted to her and put my feelings ahead of any concern for her fiancé. I suppose that's the most basic answer. It's possible that I also found it a bit exciting that she was engaged. There's probably a lot more to be said about that but I don't really have the personal insight yet to say anything about it with confidence.

I'll add this. When I started with my ex, I thought she was someone who knew what she wanted, took charge, and went for it. That may have given my conscience some cover -- as in, "well, whatever her situation with her fiancé is, she's made it pretty clear she's interested in me, she's taking the initiative, and I'm certainly not seducing her and working to break up a happy relationship." Does that make sense? I wasn't pushing her to do anything she seemed unsure of.

But in hindsight, this is the thing that has left me feeling tortured. What I can see now is my ex has an incredible, horrible fear of being alone. She needs attention from men to feel ok about herself. She crosses boundaries with her girlfriends' husbands and boyfriends, and desperately wants to be the centre of attention at parties, when she's out drinking, or wherever really. I think up to now (she's 29 now), she could get away with that kind of behaviour because her circle of friends hadn't settled down yet -- it was only while we were together that all her friends got married. She jumped off that ship a month after we started. Now I think she's searching for a new group of friends to continue a serial dating / serial cheating lifestyle. But it won't be the group of friends that is now all married and that she's known since high school / college, and who could more or less understand her and protect her from herself. I think now she's headed for a train wreck and will likely be taken advantage of when she puts herself out there craving sexual attention, but not surrounded by friends who really care.

Anyway, I guess long story short, I misread the situation. I still don't care about the ex-fiancé maybe as much as I should (in part because I think he's happier having dodged the bullet of marriage to my ex -- she told me that when they talked later, he said he agreed she was right to call off the marriage). But I'm left feeling guilty that I took advantage of my ex's craving for attention from men, and left her feeling abandoned when I inevitably couldn't put up with her rage and jealousy and hatred later. I know I had to get out of the relationship because it was getting ugly. But I still feel sick to my stomach when I think of how lonely and sad and desperate my ex can be at times, and when I think that that's part of what drove her to seek the affair with me. It's really not what I picture when we started.
WoundedBibi

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 06:58:47 PM »

I have never cheated on a guy.

Partly because I got cheated on by my second boyfriend when I was 19 and I wouldn't want to put someone else through that very painful experience.

Partly because it goes against what I think is right. If I find out a man I am interested in is in a relationship, I walk away. I have found out in the past, before anything ever happened with that guy, and I did walk away. If your relationship is 'so bad' you're looking elsewhere you have 2 options: 1) you make it better or 2) you have the balls to leave. But don't bring a third party in as a distraction, solution, a bit of spice or whatever.

And lastly because if they cheat on their partner with you, they will cheat on you with someone else. In my view there is no real future in it.

I don't see myself ever cheating but apparently (don't remember who said it on the board) saying "I would never cheat" is a  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)

I need to look into that still.

The thing is, when I'm in love I don't see other men anymore. I mean, I can see if they are attractive but it's just like looking at a nice picture. "Yeah, nice" It doesn't 'do' anything for me. Other guys at that time are 'just people'. One nose, two eyes, pair of legs. That's it.

I did fall in love once when I was in a long relationship. After 4 years I think I subconsciously felt it wasn't going anywhere. My guy was doing a dig (archeologist) on the other side of the world for a few months. And all of a sudden I noticed another guy. And he noticed me. And we hung out. And we confessed to each other we had fallen in love. But I made it very clear I was in a relationship and I needed to see my guy when he got back to know for sure it was over, and nothing would happen between other guy and me before I had made a decision and had told my guy it was over if I chose other guy. So we never even kissed before my guy got back. I did break up with guy #1 and went with guy #2, but I ended the relationship before entering a new one.

So maybe I should say "never say never" but I really can't see myself cheating on a guy.
WhatJustHappened?

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 07:47:12 PM »

Good question... .maybe? I was told they were separated but once the lies started flying, who knows? I sure hope not.
steelwork

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 08:59:28 PM »

I never thought I'd have an affair. I mean, my parents both had affairs, my grandmother had an open-secret boyfriend when I was growing up, two of my cousins are products of affairs... .it was all around me growing up... .but I didn't imagine I'd get involved in something like that myself. I will say that my ex, the schizotypal guy, cheated on me and I didn't actually get all that upset, not being a possessive type, but that wasn't the same thing. He did not fall in love. It was just grabbing a moment here or there.

Looking back, I feel the crushing weight of that remorse. All the what-ifs that many us feel are, for me, complicated exponentially by the fact that we were having an affair. And if it sounds like a lot of excuse-making, all the things I wrote about before, let me just say this: as a matter of survival, I've had to forgive myself. That meant understanding how I came to a place where I was cheating on someone I really cared about.

And I guess I thought that's what the OP was asking for: a fuller explanation how how those of us who cheated got to that place.

WoundedBibi

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 09:21:32 PM »

I will say that my ex, the schizotypal guy, cheated on me and I didn't actually get all that upset, not being a possessive type,

I think I'm really possessive; I can't handle being cheated on at all.

Excerpt
And if it sounds like a lot of excuse-making, all the things I wrote about before, let me just say this: as a matter of survival, I've had to forgive myself. That meant understanding how I came to a place where I was cheating on someone I really cared about.

No it doesn't sound like excuse making. It gives a good insight in why someone could make that choice.

Excerpt
And I guess I thought that's what the OP was asking for: a fuller explanation how how those of us who cheated got to that place.

Yes, I think so too.

And who knows, if my ex wouldn't have had BPD and all that other stuff and 'just' a sexual dysfunction maybe at some point I would have looked outside as well. Just for the physical part. I can't see myself doing it, I would feel so guilty all pleasure would be out of the window I think. But I don't know what it's like to be in a long term relationship with someone that has a sexual dysfunction.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest