Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 07:35:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7 year divorce with BPD Wife  (Read 454 times)
7Years

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: July 03, 2016, 08:21:35 PM »

Wife has BPD. Filed for divorce 7 years ago. She has millions to spend (and has spent $3MM so far). I have obtained fee awards of $500,000 thus far. Have 10 year old son. Have split his time 50/50 since filing. I am at bankruptcy point now. She has sued my friends, clients and business associates and cost them just under $2MM thus far (a total of 12 parties are now in the case). Have 2 week trial in 30 days (but may well be reset yet again if BPD future ex has way). Either way I must resolve this now - the hole has become too deep to fill for all involved. I know I must win at least parental rights and duties for this to be a permanent resolution (if that is even possible). BPD future ex has been successful in manipulating court game thus far and I expect they may continue. Before the final battle I wish to reach out to those knowledgeable to try and get the my legal team and other affected parties legal teams convinced that new tactics must be employed as well as new assumptions must be understood to achieve success (which is defined here as a conclusion to the legal case and a share of my son's life). Testifying experts and consulting attorneys are one possibility. No one seems to understand that the BPD future ex will not stop until she has exhausted her ability to pay her attorneys (who are more than happy to take her money) and no matter how weak her case is she will always be convinced that she is right in her allegations. Stuck in Harris County (Houston) Family Law Court where judges and lawyers feed each other.
Herodias

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 10:53:03 PM »

That's a total mess... .I know the feeling. Somehow you need to realize it's all about the money with the lawyers and try and think for yourself. Learn what you can to try and get ahead of her game. I found that if you just spend what has to be spent to get it over with as soon as possible, it is for the best. 7 years is a very long time to be in the court system. It's all about who can pay. No one seems to care who is right or wrong anymore. Try and be several steps ahead of her and the lawyers... .including yours. I hate to say it, but you are your only advocate.
7Years

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 12:22:52 AM »

Thanks Blue for the post. -All true - problem is that the 7 years has destroyed my ability to pay - but she is still going strong. Trying to make the last 30 days before trial (if it even happens) count. Looking for something I may have overlooked and/or a way to make the truth that those who have the story on BPD types already know - work in court to bring this to best possible conclusion for my son. I will just have to get over the unfairness of it all - but my 10 year old should not have to bear it. My thinking is --- I must win custody (or have equal parental rights with tie breaker) in order for that to happen. I then can be firm and fair with her for his sake. That is no fun for me - but so what - i am a big boy who never should have fallen for her entrapment - but my son is blameless. Any advice on experts or some tactic to make her show her true self at the right time would be greatly appreciated.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 08:39:49 PM »

Courts appear to be reluctant to have a parent feel they 'lost' and so joint custody is typical.  That said, if you can't get custody then try to gain the Tie Breaker or Decision Making rights you mentioned.  It may not stop her from making allegations or taking you back to court but over time the matter of her credibility ought to rise to the surface as well as whether she's fighting for the sake of fighting rather than for your children's welfare.

My joint custody attempt in the final decree settlement failed and so I went back to court.  Strangely, there was one item that the court remarked on, that she was "not credible" in one part of her testimony where she explained that she sabotaged my mid-winter vacation by claiming for the first time to want son with her for her holiday time during Kwanzaa.  It was on a long list of holidays which we had failed to strike out the ones not observed.  To the court she explained that though she wasn't of Jewish descent, she could still observe it.  My lawyer jumped on it, asking her to describe this "Jewish Kwanzaa" and her lawyer couldn't object, well, not until my lawyer asked her for the third time.  Literally, there were times I saw the magistrate drop his head onto his crossed arms!  The decision did get me full custody but was remarkably circumspect, it wasn't until a few years later when I got a better order that the last magistrate came right out and repeatedly called her out on her 'disparagement of father'.

That so many others have become ensnared in this case is astounding, hopefully the court will remove the innocents from the case.  Also, could she be more than just BPD?  What do the psych evals or custody evals say, if anything, about the diagnostic aspects?  Could she be Histrionic as well - HPD - all about the drama and being the center of attention?

Expect the court to be very cautious in a decision, this is likely to be appealed and no judge wants a decision overturned or sent back for reconsideration.  This sounds like a case that will get published in legal circles.

Have any of your lawyers or judges attended William A. Eddy's seminars (or recorded videos) or read his books on the impacts of PDs in family courts?  While his seminars are directed at the professionals in and around family court, they're also enlightening for us parents.  (The advantage is that he's well respected as a mediator, lawyer, social worker, author, lecturer to professionals and not just some mass-market soothsayer.)  His book entitled Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder is one of the best books available for both professionals and parents.
www.HighConflictInstitute.com

I am also concerned about the impact on the children.  Experts and courts often pooh-poohed Dr. Gardiner's approach to parental alienation decades ago.  A newer and more respected approach has been made by Dr Childress, that PA attempts and PAS are forms of child abuse and that approach has better reception in the mental health circles.  Read his blog which describes it extensively.  Perhaps your lawyers ought to emphasize the negative impact on the children, the risk is that the court will blame you both so be careful to framing/focusing your position on what's best for the children and not so much on focusing on the inter-parent squabbling.

Many here have encouraged that we focus our attention on Solutions and not bickering and complaints.  Hopefully the court will see you as the reasonably normal and stable parent with practical solutions and not as part of the problem.

7Years

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 09:20:15 PM »

Thanks Forever Dad for your post. I have read a few of yours on the board. You are correct on all points - she was able to spoof the mental evaluations - but the Amicus (the second one - she had the first one removed - as he too was favorable), who represents my son is favorable to a good outcome. It is good to know that they do overplay their hand eventually, as in your custody example - sorry for all concerned that it just has to be that way. I have read "Splitting" many times and bought copies for all the attorneys - but to no real good end. I will check out his website and ramp up my lobbying to get the attorneys to try and use this info. The attorneys do not disagree but they just don't think it will do much good. That bothers me because the patterns fit so well and the outcomes are so predictable it just does not seem right that this information cannot be put to good use.

I share your concern over PAS and that is the worst and most important part. I share blame for allowing this to happen by overriding my instincts and allowing her to bully me into marriage and a child but my son is totally innocent. Amazingly we have been operating on a 50/50 possession schedule WITHOUT a court order for 7 years voluntarily. I have had to overlook a LOT of petty nonsense as well as very subtle PA but feel sure that this will not be sustainable for the long term without the immediate threat of a pending trial. Without me to toy with - I suspect my son will have to carry her mental disregulation.

I will also look into the Gardiner and Childress references.

Thank you to all who have posted
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest