Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 03:49:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm breaking off contact for good.  (Read 382 times)
valet
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: July 29, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »

I already posted this in another thread but I reckon I still might have some things to say, so here we go. Time to take it to the floor.

It's been a while since I've posted regularly here but the time has finally come for me to put my two cents into this thread and call it a day.

pwBPD and separated about a year and a half ago. I tried to remain friends with her, but found that this new friendship lacked everything that was important to me in a friendship. My ex continued to hide things from me, and it recently came to my attention that she had been hiding much more, things that happened while we were still together. Funnily enough, my past anxieties have been justified. Turns out I wasn't crazy after all!

A lot of time has passed since the breakup, but I finally feel like I've found a larger since of closure on the past. I've decided to shut the door for good and cut all ties. It is a painful decision, but like so many others that have gone the route of trying to stay in touch, the post-relationship friendship ended up extending the pain that I originally felt all along. I don't hold it against her and wish her the best, but have realized that I can't have that level of toxicity in my life anymore and expect to be happy. It just won't work for me.

That said, everyone's situation is different. The main point that I make is that if I had fully trusted myself I could have prevented myself from feeling a certain way longer than I needed to. That's ok. I forgive myself. Just a word to the wise.  Being cool (click to insert in post)

Xstang77

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 07:04:08 PM »

Good post,welcome to the ghost club Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). I tried the same Briefly but it's just a one sided friendship and the more you find out the more it eats at you,so yea I agree and I'm on the same page.
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 01:13:27 AM »

The main point that I make is that if I had fully trusted myself I could have prevented myself from feeling a certain way longer than I needed to. That's ok. I forgive myself. Just a word to the wise.  Being cool (click to insert in post)

Very wise words, valet, and I thank you for sharing this. You have earned some hard won wisdom in this situation, and I know it hasn't been easy. Well done for having tried. And for discovering that what you want and need matters. This is such a good example for all of us learning to trust ourselves.

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 01:29:52 AM »

Hi valet,

It is a painful decision, but like so many others that have gone the route of trying to stay in touch, the post-relationship friendship ended up extending the pain that I originally felt all along.

I'm sorry to hear that  Good idea with self protecting to heal your wounds, it's not a hard and fast rule. Perhaps you'll feel stronger and you can keep a friendship? Maybe you'll feel differently with more time behind you? Above all, take really good care of yourself.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
valet
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 02:20:59 AM »

The main point that I make is that if I had fully trusted myself I could have prevented myself from feeling a certain way longer than I needed to. That's ok. I forgive myself. Just a word to the wise.  Being cool (click to insert in post)

Very wise words, valet, and I thank you for sharing this. You have earned some hard won wisdom in this situation, and I know it hasn't been easy. Well done for having tried. And for discovering that what you want and need matters. This is such a good example for all of us learning to trust ourselves.

heartandwhole

Smiling (click to insert in post)

Hi valet,

It is a painful decision, but like so many others that have gone the route of trying to stay in touch, the post-relationship friendship ended up extending the pain that I originally felt all along.

I'm sorry to hear that  Good idea with self protecting to heal your wounds, it's not a hard and fast rule. Perhaps you'll feel stronger and you can keep a friendship? Maybe you'll feel differently with more time behind you? Above all, take really good care of yourself.

You're right. There is no predicting what the future may hold. But right now I'm feeling really good about my decision. Life can only get better from here. Smiling (click to insert in post)

drained1996

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »

It certainly does get better valet!  You and time are now your best friends.  Stay focused on YOU!
myself

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 01:06:26 PM »

The main point that I make is that if I had fully trusted myself I could have prevented myself from feeling a certain way longer than I needed to.

I've felt that as well, that I could have gotten out sooner, with not as many wounds... .But I needed to see it through. Thinking maybe there was a way there for us somehow... .When it became very apparent that remaining in each others lives wasn't a healthy option any more, it was time to let go. Move on. In the end, there will be much less pain from having done so. As it may well prove with you. There will certainly be less questions left behind.
VitaminC

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 01:18:39 PM »

I tried to remain friends with her, but found that this new friendship lacked everything that was important to me in a friendship. My ex continued to hide things from me, and it recently came to my attention that she had been hiding much more, things that happened while we were still together. Funnily enough, my past anxieties have been justified. Turns out I wasn't crazy after all!

Yes, important to remember that friendships have to be healthy and nourish us too. Good call. And yes, sometimes we have to learn things the hard way. But what I really get from this is the point about friendship. Cherish the good ones, water them like the fragile flowers most of them are. Put the bad ones outside in the garden, let them fend for themselves.

A lot of time has passed since the breakup, but I finally feel like I've found a larger since of closure on the past. I've decided to shut the door for good and cut all ties.

It takes as long as it takes. Smiling (click to insert in post)

What a positive and helpful reminder, thank you for it, Valet.

valet
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 08:37:46 PM »

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words everyone. Very validating to hear these things.

Anxiety levels are peaking recently, but I suppose that this is my body finding itself in new emotional territory. A little bit of extra discomfort won't hinder me too much, and I'm glad that I am actually reacting to this in a healthy way. I didn't shut off. I like the me that doesn't shut off.

I've told most of my good buds at this point. Everyone has been very supportive, and I'm proud to say that I've done a good job maintaining and nourishing the positive relationships in my life. It's good to know that I have folks supporting me.

married21years

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 04:24:50 AM »

welcome to the dark side

we have cookies Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)  Smiling (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest