Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 08:08:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 359 times)
j9

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 20, 2016, 09:39:28 AM »

My BF broke up with me because I told him i was going to be gone most of last weekend to prepare for my mothers 60th birthday party. He didn't have the courtesy to contact me Friday to tell me was going to be home and be with his friend. (im fine with that as long he would tell me) but he never does, or only does sometimes and it drives me nuts because I've told him time and time again there needs to be communication. the next day he calls me and i asked what he did, he said he had a couple of beers with his friend and that we didn't have plans anyway. i told him yea we didn't have plans cus you cry broke but you're quick to go and spend money on beers and ciggs with your friends instead of saving it. he took that as i called him "broke" and cursed me out and broke up with me didn't answer my calls and was ignoring me . i left him a vm telling him if he disappears that whole weekend it would be over and he ignored it. so basically we are broken up. now i am so pissed he wont be attending my mothers bday party because i know people are going to ask and i just don't want to explain anything. i don't know what to do because i can almost guarantee he will try and come back in a week or 2 weeks. i have to set a boundary but i don't know how. do i tell him he better go or do i leave it alone?
thisagain

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 06:29:42 PM »

Hi J9,

Did either of you explicitly break up with the other? It looks like you left a voicemail saying if you don't hear from him it's over, and you haven't heard from him. But I wouldn't expect that to be a clean, simple end to the relationship. Do you want it to be over? Or are you hoping he'll come back in a week or two?

I know how frustrating it is when their excuses for not spending time with you aren't consistent (like telling you he can't afford plans with you). But a lot of conflict can come from trying to second-guess or control their little daily choices. As long as you have boundaries to protect your truly important core values, it's usually best to let them do their thing.

I think it might benefit your "deciding" process to look more at the big picture. How do you feel when he doesn't tell you his plans, spends money to hang out with friends but not with you, misses events like your mom's birthday, etc? If those are the "trees," what does the "forest" look like? It's really important to pause and connect with the underlying emotion for you.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest