Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 06:25:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sister with suspected BPD - refusing help  (Read 365 times)
my_name_is

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« on: October 04, 2016, 10:12:56 AM »

Hi,

I found this forum via googling. I suspect my younger sister has BPD though she has not been diagnosed. We have had issues with her for years which has actually caused in me having serious anxiety (and going on meds). I was the person she was emotionally abusive to for over 6 years (she's 3 years younger and currently 31 years old). We actually didn't speak for 2 full years until I got pregnant and she decided to be friend again.

Now the past 8 months or so she has turned the abuse to my parents and youngest sister. She does not live with the family and is in a town 2h away in an apartment owned by my parents. The issue is she never acknowledges that she has a problem and refuses treatment. Also, since June of this year, she has pretty much cut contacts with everyone. She does text me here and there but wants everyone else out of her life... .she does have a bf who she forbids us now getting in touch with.

I'm very concerned about her as via research I found patients sometimes harm themselves (though she never has or said she would). On one hand dealing with her much pushes me back into my anxiety issues which is difficult as I have my husband a 4 year old child. On other hand I worry so much about her is making me sick. Especially her refusing to talk to anyone else in the family. I also worry about my parents and hurt for them.

Really appreciate your help Smiling (click to insert in post)
schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 11:16:28 AM »

Hi My_name_is

and Welcome

I suspect my younger sister has BPD though she has not been diagnosed. We have had issues with her for years which has actually caused in me having serious anxiety (and going on meds). I was the person she was emotionally abusive to for over 6 years (she's 3 years younger and currently 31 years old).

My general advice for now is:

(1) Let yourself digest what her disorder means to you - seeing her behavior through the lens of this disorder may help you understand why she has behaved the way she has for most of your lives.  It may take some time to fully digest this information.

(2) You may feel the urge to let the rest of your family know; I suggest that you resist this urge. Family members with BPD loved ones can be in denial for many reasons. Your other family members may or may not be ready to face this information about your BPD sister. Don't let them shoot the messenger.

Quote from: my_name_is
The issue is she never acknowledges that she has a problem and refuses treatment. Also, since June of this year, she has pretty much cut contacts with everyone. She does text me here and there but wants everyone else out of her life... .she does have a bf who she forbids us now getting in touch with.

(3) Don't try to get her help just yet.  I know BPD is a mental disorder, but it might be better for you to approach it as if it was more like a recovery issues (i.e., alcoholism/drug abuse).  You cannot help someone who does not want to help themselves.  Not acknowledging that she has a problem and refusing treatment is a typical expression of this disorder.

You see, in her denial-world, she doesn't want to believe she has a problem.  She wants to believe that she just needs to find a person who does not trigger her disordered issues.  Right now, she thinks that person is her bf.  And she is forbidding anyone from contacting the bf so that she can maintain that delusion for as long as possible.

The bf has probably been led to believe that your family has been the source of abuse all her life.  And her bf probably wants to rescue her from her family.

We actually didn't speak for 2 full years until I got pregnant and she decided to be friend again.

You see, one of the big triggers for her disorder are feelings of family and intimacy -- which may be confusing because it might seem that sometimes she is desperate to cultivate closeness and family.  What she doesn't realize (or accept) is that whenever someone starts to get too close to her, she starts experiencing disordered feelings/thoughts.

And so the best way to maintain a some-what stable interaction with a BPD loved one is to maintain (emotional) distance and formality.

Be cautious if she wants to get close to your family because of your child. There's always the possibility that she may even project her own perceived childhood abuse to your child.

I'm very concerned about her as via research I found patients sometimes harm themselves (though she never has or said she would).

This disorder expresses in a spectrum of behaviors; some people with BPD (pwBPD) exhibit some behaviors while other pwBPD do not.

On one hand dealing with her much pushes me back into my anxiety issues which is difficult as I have my husband a 4 year old child. On other hand I worry so much about her is making me sick. Especially her refusing to talk to anyone else in the family. I also worry about my parents and hurt for them.

For now, learn what you can and focus on those things that help you manage/limit how much conflict occurs in your life.  Focus on helping yourself get stronger.  And later, from a position of strength and stability, you can better help your other family members.  And if God permits, you may have some opportunity to help your sister if she seeks it.

You are in the right place.

Best wishes,

Schwing

my_name_is

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »

Thank you so much for your help. I must add that my parents are seeing a psychologist separately to help deal with this. My dad also thinks my sister has BPD but with her refusing to get treatment, no one can know for sure. Also my parents hardly talk to me about her now (I do know she abuses them via email). The fact that her mistreating me led in serious anxiety episodes for me over the years is making them hold back involving me.

yes, she does claim that she was abused which she was not. She was spanked twice as a child (so was I). She exaggerates everything that happened and every year her stories get worse and more dramatic with added branch. I have no doubt she told her bf horrible stories about us. I remember years ago she told one of our common friends I was abusing her too

I will try to stay back and not involved for now. I have lost a lot of sleep the last few nights when I heard about the emails. I have a pretty high profile job and my young child's needs are taking a toll on me.
Naughty Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 09:45:13 PM »

HEY my_name_is:

I'd like to join schwing in welcoming you.

I'm so sorry about you situation with your sister.  I have a uBPD sister myself. 

Schwing gave you some good advice. There are, also, several links to lessons at the upper right of this post.  I'd like to add a couple of links below that might be a good place to start exploring information:

FOG
VALIDATION
COMMUNICATIONS

You sound like you have your hands full, with your job, child and husband.  What are doing to handle your stress right now?  Any favorite way to relax and destress? 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest