Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 06, 2024, 12:21:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Doctor told me she will never be cured  (Read 373 times)
CooperD

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: November 09, 2016, 05:43:03 AM »

Hi folks,

Thank you for your advice over the previous couple of days (posts below in the forum).

My wife of over a year / partner of 5 years travelled US to UK on Saturday telling me she was here to work on things and then hit me with divorce papers within an hour of arriving with a big smile on her face and champagne in her hand.  She then flew back to the US on Sunday and has since returned none of my calls / messages (even though I can see she is receiving them).  I know she is likely getting great satisfaction out of my desperation.

This morning I went to see a doctor and opened up about everything I had been through (subject to physical abuse / rape threats / sexual humiliation) and it helped.  He has referred me to therapist to help people cope with those that live with partners with mental illness.

When i asked him if there is a chance she can be cured he said in his opinion no. It can be managed but it will always be there like a monster under the bed waiting to come out to bite you.

He told me I must go no contact - whenever that urge to contact her comes to give my phone to someone nearby as contacting her is only ever going to make my anxiety worse / empower her and also cause her mental suffering too.

Day 1 no contact here it starts

JerryRG

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 06:07:39 AM »

Hang in there CooperD

PwBPD are the most baffling, addicting, fun and beautiful people in our world, but also the most painful to be with. Your doctor is right, they cannot be cured and if the best minds admit defeat, our reasoning may be, how can we possibly do anything to help?

My ex is repeating her same behaviours and everything I've learned about her illness is true. My denial is so strong,  my desire to change her, help her, so great. These beliefs almost cost me my life and may have indeed shortened my life in some ways.

This relationship has also awoken in me things I did not know about, and I have found a better life. She tried her best to destroy me, I fought hard and because I tried everything to fix her, I fixed my life in the process.

Kinda crazy how things work out.

I remember the night an ER doc told me the fable of "scorpion and the frog"

It explains my ex perfectly

Maybe look it up?

Keep healing CooperD
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 06:29:51 AM »

Hi CooperD,

I'm glad that you have been to see a professional, and have a referral for a therapist. I can tell you that seeing an objective, kind, and knowledgeable therapist helped me to recover from the pain of my breakup with pwBPD. I wish the same for you.

I also went NC at the breakup. It worked for me, because I had already recycled the relationship and had tried several times to be just friends and discovered that it wasn't possible. I also had to take a really hard look at my involvement in a relationship that was screaming "won't work" from the beginning. NC is not for everyone, but it is a tool that can help you separate yourself (and your thoughts) from your soon-to-be ex so that you can heal. Getting her out of your daily life, so to speak. It hurts and isn't easy. You've been through a lot, so be gentle with yourself. We're here with you every step of the way. 

What else can you do for yourself today that will get you one step closer to recovery, CooperD?

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest