Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 10:11:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Having separated: Did you ever regret?  (Read 518 times)
SettingBorders

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: December 17, 2016, 12:12:25 AM »

Since I was pregnant, my boyfriend changed his behaviour towards me. I am critizised, belitteled and browbeaten all way long. He's using all his rhetorical skills to make me do what he wants and I feel mentally abused. Our daughter is 7 weeks now and we have shared custody. He's treating her well, but he's not very keen to do the work that comes along with having kids. His interest in her is boasting of his parenting skills in front of others. Of cause he wants to care more for her, when she gets older and he will have more time ... .(odd promise I don't believe anymore ... .)

I am at the end of my tether and thinking about leaving. But I fear so much his reaction.

So I want to ask you, if you ever regret having separated from your partners with whom you share kids? Most of you will have continued fights with your ex-partners about the children, maybe about custody questions.

In my case, I know he will have a hard time accepting it is over. He will rage. And he will want to see his daughter very often, maybe half of the time. He will not be reliable or able to give her a structured routine on the long run. And even if I get full custody in the end, he will have the right to have her visit him every other weekend alone. I fear that when a fight starts between us for custody, he will react like "If I can't have her, you can't have her either." I fear so much he could alienate her, manipulate her or even kill her.
So, a strategy might be not to go for full custody, hand her over to him as much as he likes and just wait until his endurance for childcare fades. But it feels like sacrificing my child ... .I fear so much for her ... .I cry when I think about her future.

Should I stay and let him get his will with me to get our daugther out of the fireline?

Did you ever regret having left regarding the wellbeing of your kids?
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 12:19:18 PM »

Hi SettingBorders,

I'm so sorry you're being treated badly  Your concern that your BF could kill his own child is very scary, too.

You are probably right that your BF enjoys the idea of being a parent more than actually being one. That seems to (anecdotally) be the case with the BPD dads discussed on these boards. It was certainly true of my ex. He fought very hard for more time with our son, and then struggled to manage even the limited visitation he had.

I do wish I had known my son's father was BPD during the marriage, and had a chance to apply better skills to our relationship. It's hard to know if that would've made a difference, altho I do think if I had understood the pathology better, I would've parented my son more skillfully.

Does he have family who help him care for your daughter when he has her? Or does he spend time with her when you are there with him?

How would you describe the arrangement as it currently stands?

There are many strategies to make things work in your favor, not just one or two (e.g. go for custody vs. hand her over). You have the advantage of being able to problem-solve in a realistic way, whereas he does not. Plus, you have us    and we can share collective wisdom here to tap if you need it.

It's also ok to consult with a lawyer and explain your goals, ask for them to outline a strategy, and then sit on the information until you feel emotionally ready to make a move.

Know exactly what kind of leverage you have (or need to develop) -- a lawyer will explain how things work in your state. We can share with you how we applied leverage in our own situations to see if there are approaches that work in yours. 

Whatever you do, it's good to document everything. Keep a journal, or put things in a spreadsheet. I used Google calendar and dedicated a whole label to the goings-on with my ex, e.g. who took who to appointments, dates of significant events, and I even pinned emails to the calendar, just to help keep an accounting in case I needed it (which I did).

I do not regret leaving. I regret that I did not know about BPD when my son was younger, and so was unskilled in how to raise my son to be emotionally resilient. Our kids find themselves in role reversals with their BPD parent, where they are expected to meet the emotional needs of the parent, instead of the other way around. As the non-BPD parent, it's important to be aware of that, and do double duty to validate your child's emotions.

That means if your child says dad is being mean, you validate those feelings. This can be very hard to do if you have codependent traits. A lot of people who are codependent feel uncomfortable allowing others to experience negative emotions (fix, rescue, save) because we don't allow ourselves to fully feel these feelings.

I learned to be a better parent when I caught on, and began to validate how my child felt, without maligning his dad. The key is to help them develop a strong sense of self so that they are less likely to be emotionally injured, at least in devastating ways.  

It's possible (Lesson 5 in the sidebar to the right focuses on raising emotionally resilient kids when one parent has BPD)

LnL

Breathe.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 11:18:58 PM »

he will want to see his daughter very often, maybe half of the time.

That he might want equal time doesn't mean he will get it.  While there are some states who start with the concept of equal time, you can easily ask for a court ordered psych eval or even a more in depth custody evaluation.  The results should indicate to the court that your concerns for the child has basis.  (Document now in case you will need to refer to specific incidents.  Having record of specific incidents or pattern of minimal parenting involvement helps counteract the "he said, she said" complaints that courts could be inclined to view and ignore as typical bickering.)

Since I was pregnant, my boyfriend changed his behaviour towards me. I am criticized, belittled and browbeaten all way long. He's using all his rhetorical skills to make me do what he wants and I feel mentally abused.

The relationship's dynamic changed.  Now it's not just you, there's two and he's having a hard time dealing with it.  What a court would view as mental abuse may depend on what the court or social services agencies deem as abuse, how much it impacts the child, how recent the poor behaviors were, etc.  However the court system was set up not to preserve relationships, they generally don't deal with that, they deal with the people as they are, so what they do is manage the unwinding of a relationship.

I am at the end of my tether and thinking about leaving. But I fear so much his reaction.

Would you rather handle "his reaction" sooner or later?  Odds are that unless he is in meaningful therapy and he is diligently applying it for years then these issues will not vanish, rather, they're actually likely to get worse over time.  So if he's unlikely to get effective help, then it is up to you to find another solution.  Do you see any advantage to delaying a solution?

That you have these concerns indicates there are serious problems with the relationship.  Side point, I would suggest you be sure that you're in charge of contraception.  If having one child causes these concerns about the father, two or three children won't make it better, in fact it would make separation that much more complicated.

So I want to ask you, if you ever regret having separated from your partners with whom you share kids? Most of you will have continued fights with your ex-partners about the children, maybe about custody questions.

So, a strategy might be not to go for full custody, hand her over to him as much as he likes and just wait until his endurance for childcare fades.

Distance + Time = Better ... .One result of separation is that the distance apart often reduces the conflict, perhaps not at first but generally the conflict does reduce over time.  Yes, there would still be occasional flareups but much reduced than if you hadn't ended the troubled relationship.

As for whether to seek full custody or not, it may be possible to strategize.  Courts sometimes split custody issues into two categories: legal custody and parenting time schedules.  You could seek majority time and express your concerns about the extent of his parenting time while keeping the 'custody' issue separate from the schedule.  They're generally not inclined to grant full custody unless they see incidents, not just risks, of substantive child abuse.  Since there would likely be impasses on the major custody decisions, one approach might be to seek to have joint custody modified with you having Decision Making or Tie Breaker status.  He will still have joint custody in title but you wouldn't have to go to court every time he obstructs or disagrees.  He could still disagree and take you to court or mediation, but (1) it wouldn't delay you and (2) it would be him going to court, not you, and not delaying your actions.

Based on the stories that make it here, disordered fathers are more likely to fade into the background than disordered mothers.  So yes he might fade away over time but you can't count on the averages.  Have more than one strategy to attain good parenting.  Make a log of how much time and effort he spends with his daughter.  By the time the legal teams get involved you would probably have a long history of majority parenting and so you wouldn't have to feel inclined to "hand her over to him as much as he likes and just wait until his endurance for childcare fades."  As my Custody Evaluator told me at our first session, history of parenting time means a lot.

SettingBorders

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 11:49:06 AM »

Thanks for your answers so far. I apreciate your help a lot!
Right now, I can't find any time to answer you. I will do that later. 
DidItAgain
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 05:52:20 PM »

No, no, no, a thousand times no! Separated 2009, divorced 2013. Never once regretted it, except that now I fear I'm in another one, fortunately not married.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest