Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 09:45:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it typical for a pwBPD to not be very responsible?  (Read 378 times)
Shawna76

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 01, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »

Hello,

I'm so glad I found this group. I have so many questions.

Anyway. My H wBPD seems to have this cycle of not making the greatest decisions of when it comes to being responsible.

Examples:

He has a new bold idea every week. He puts some effort into starting it. Finds some reason why it isn't working out. He usually finds blame in everyone else as to why it doesn't. If it is something he has shared with me; he will blame me if I don't jump in fast enough. Or if it is something he didn't involve me in, he will blame me for not supporting him.

He is capable of getting good paying jobs. Turns them down. Always finds some reason why. He would rather pay loads of money to get different licenses, take classes, invest in equipment. Tell everyone about his plans. But yet, won't follow through. Blames everything else.

He would put off paying a gas bill to take a last minute trip. Then complain about how he couldn't get any help to pay the bill. But doesn't regret the trip because he felt he deserved it.

Only in his rare moments of truth will be admit to things being his own fault. But yet, in the same breath will blame someone else for his hard ships. He will also say that he is doing all these things to become a better provider one day.

I love my husband. I want to see him thrive in whatever he believes he can do.  I'm really shocked that I am what is considered be "co-dependent". I'm trying to work through that. I guess that's why I'm somewhat looking for ways to deal with him.

I'm really trying to understand if this is just him being completely incompetent of taking on the normal adult roles of responsibilities due to distorted thinking. Is this common for pwBPD? Or is he just a man who  doesn't want to be much more than a busy bum?

Being married to a pwBPD, I'm I suppose to just carry on my life as if he is just a roommate and not someone I can expect to be what is traditional is a couple partnering together. Which ever direction the wind blows, his mind follows. Leaving me with trying to come up with money to pay his half of the rent.

I don't know what to think at times.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:47:54 AM »

Hi Shawna76,

I read your other thread here and my impression is "magical thinking." On his part.

My BPD mother was always about the "side businesses" (MREs or "outer space food" is the first one I remember when I was a kid around the first shuttle launch). This never changed over the subsequent 30+ years.  My uBPDx is into entrepreneurship. She's joined an MLM, not concentrating upon her core competency and career. I encouraged her to pursue that,  but she was hung up on not having a B.A. despite implicit job offers by those who didn't care about that because they were impressed by her competence. Didn't matter to her.   My ex'said older brother is like this,  too.  He finally settled into a skilled trade near 40, after blowing off two major career opportunities in his early 20s. He's very intelligent, but unwise. 

A core emotion of pwBPD is shame: "I'm a bad person,  undeserving of... ." fill in the blank. This is opposed to guilt:"I did something wrong." The latter is an action or behavior; former, the core of who we are,  our identity.  Shame is one of the core feelings of a pwBPD. 

It's tough to have a secure r/s with someone who's thinking is opposite ours. I sense that you value security, as do I. It may seem obvious to you what the right path is for him (maybe focus on one thing and progress from there), but he doesn't see it that way.  I'm just throwing this all out there,  but does the shame angle make sense?

T

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:58:40 AM »

pretty well sums up typical BPD behavior. When you first meet they are full of ideas and plans for the future, which at the time you believe (because they mean it), eventually though you get the idea.

Its not the ideas that are the problem it is cyclic nature of backing out. They like the glory of the idea, but the actual chore of doing wears thin soon, then they quit before they fail.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »

Is water wet?

About 10 years ago H finally got into working full time.  To his credit, even through some very tough instances, including one boss who I feel had even worse BPD than him and painted him black, he's stuck with it.  He's changed jobs about 3 times in that 10 years, once for advancement, and once to get away from the abusive boss, so I want to give him the credit due for being as steady as he can.

That said, previously he'd imply he was too good, too creative, to waste his time working an 8-5 grind (but it was perfectly fine for people like me).  He had plans to start in indie film, various writing projects, painting, etc.  he IS very creative, and talented, and ahs some really good ideas a person with a strong drive could make something work... .but his own shame shuts him down, and like others with BPD, he never really finishes a project (unless it's one I am also working on, and I can step in, or need it and can't "let it fail".)  He'd spend hours brainstorming with other creative types, only to get frustrated when they'd be just a poor on follow though as he is. 

This current job has some down time during many of the work days, and I've been trying to encourage him to at least spend a little time writing.  I've always tried to be supportive, because to be honest unless he's sinking large amounts of cash into it, the only person hurt by the grass is greener is him, and my invalidation of those desires just makes them stronger.  So I try to support, encourage, and hope he may actually finish something so he can finally have that under his belt.

I've also in the last few months realized a big part of it, of the "magical thinking" is that he craves large amounts of external validation and adoration.  He wants to be famous for creating something, for leaving his mark on the world.  We have chosen to not have children (in my case, partly because as a child of people with BPD, I cannot in good conscience plan to have a family with one.  And I am almost 40 - having a first child is very difficult and risky - possible, but risky for me and the child, and I can't face that). 

Anyway - he want's fame and a lasting legacy, and he feels a creative pursuit should make him famous and will give him all that adoration and validation he feels deprived of.    he DOES stress to me that he plans to "work as long as he can", but that he will most likely need something to "fall back on" when he's fired/let go/can't take it anymore and has to stop.  I try to validate these feelings, and not freak out on him (do I get to just stop feelings like working and tell you that you get to hold the bag for both of us?  No.  Because I get to be the grownup all the time, not just when I feel like it)

WifeInOz

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »

Hi 

This is so funny that you all have the same "kind" of experience with pwBPD, my husband who has BPD is SUPER responsible, organized, and a control freak in every aspect of his life. I guess they are all different? Smiling (click to insert in post)

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 12:33:27 AM »

Hi 

This is so funny that you all have the same "kind" of experience with pwBPD, my husband who has BPD is SUPER responsible, organized, and a control freak in every aspect of his life. I guess they are all different? Smiling (click to insert in post)

Thats the extremes. My wifes mother is like that. Almost as though it is an extreme coping mechanism to avoid them falling into the structureless trap of dysfunction. Have you looked into Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD NOT OCD, ). It is even less well known than BPD, but I am sure you will recognise it in someone you know.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Swhitey

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Ex Girlfrind

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 10:06:09 AM »

Hi Shawna76,

I would agree with your statement about some pwBPD "have this cycle of not making the greatest decisions of when it comes to being responsible" and it can take on many forms. Your examples resonate with me quite closely. My pwBPDu frequently has ideas of grandeur for earning a living, and feels that she cannot work a "traditional 9-5" so many times I have listened to these great new entrepreneurial ideas on ways she can make money from multiple revenue streams only to see these ideas fall by the wayside when the actual work involved is needed. Instead she will find "filing projects" or make busy projects because she is always overwhelmed. There is also an endless supply of blame on others, and I find I am set up to fail on her endeavors, on more occasions than not, after she shares them with me. By what you have written about in your experience and what I've read of others similar experiences, I would agree that this behavior is common among pwBPD (or similar personality structures like aPTSD) I have also noticed that there is a desire to "make a mark" or receive wide recognition (fame) I think isilme nailed it with "Magical Thinking" that resonates with me as well.

I'm sorry that you feel that you can "just carry on my life as if he is just a roommate and not someone I can expect to be what is traditional is a couple partnering together" It sounds to me like you want (are hoping) something different? Do think you could have a "traditional relationship" with this person at some point? I have been asking myself the same question... .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest