Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 19, 2024, 12:29:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Good Soldier - Ally Golden  (Read 1074 times)
Ally Golden
Professional Member

« on: February 08, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »

A Good Soldier
by Ally Golden

I’d like to let you know about the publication of my memoir, A Good Soldier. The book is about my life growing up and into adulthood with a severely mentally ill mother who had depression and borderline personality disorder and eventually committed suicide. It chronicles my childhood in suburban Washington DC, follows me to Northwestern University in the mid-90s, and concludes with the birth of my first child in 2008.

A Good Soldier
Author: Ally Golden
Publisher: Self-published (February 2, 2017)
Paperback: 214 pages
ISBN-10: 1540788830
ISBN-13: 978-1540788832

In the last 13 years, I’ve published six books through traditional publishers, and this effort is much different. The target reader is the survivor: the family member or close friend of a person with a mood and/or personality disorder. Maybe he or she is coping with a loved one’s suicide and is searching for support to ease the alienation and shock of having to join the club no one ever wants to be in.

The way I navigated my experiences and the person I developed into as a result of them hasn’t always been ideal. During my college years, I realized that the ways of relating I had due to a combination of nature and nurture weren’t working. So, as time went on, I became someone else. Nevertheless, I did survive.

Unfortunately, for many people this is not the case. According to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, a first-degree relative of a person who has committed suicide is five times more likely to attempt or complete a suicide. I’ve spent the last several years visiting Chicago residents who have lost a family member, significant other, friend, co-worker, etc. to suicide, and the risk of a “domino effect” is real – even among those without a genetic connection to the victim.

And in general, per the National Center for Health Statistics’ 2016 announcement, suicide in the US has surged to the highest level in 30 years and the rate for middle-aged women ages 45-64 has jumped by 63 percent. Now several years out from my 30-year-long odyssey with my mother, I feel a duty to reach a hand toward those who aren’t sure if they can and should go on. My hope is to share the book with the mental health communities that were such a source of support for me when I was suffering alongside my mother. If you would like to help spread the word too, here's where we can be found. Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Ally

This website is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and their physician.
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 07:20:07 PM »

This book is very well written and easy to read. Ally Golden is a well established writer, able to convey her story in a straightforward manner. The memoir is cathartic for the author as she comes to an understanding of her mother's mental illness. The sense of discovery of her abusive and dysfunctional childhood accompanies the reader as the pages unfold, however an in depth focus of the effects upon her is not addressed. There are other books available such as, Missing: Coming to Terms With a Borderline Mother by Kathy Ewing, illustrating being farther along on the personal journey to discovery. I hope that Ally will write another book in coming years as she continues to heal from the wounds of her childhood.

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition