Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 09:06:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If the BPD father lives in another country  (Read 373 times)
Dontknow88

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 07, 2017, 09:40:11 AM »

For anyone who's coming across my post for the first time to make a long story short he is high functioning but also highly suicidal often self harms and has admitted on more than five occasions that he has regret our (planned) sons existence. Also as you may know with most BPD people through relationship Ending can be Domestic violence. I have gotten a lot of gas  lighting a lot of emotional abuse One of our last interaction it was so close to becoming physical but I've asked him to leave.

We originally planned to sign a custody agreement for me to get sole custody he but after 10 months of going back-and-forth of him changing his mind it's official now that we are going to court.

What do you think my chances are of me getting sole crusty and him just getting the right to pay child support and only supervised visitation?
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 12:30:40 PM »

Courts are typically reluctant to grant sole custody without documented basis.  I think risk to the child might be one of them, probably depends on how it is quantified and other factors.  One downside is that something isn't generally deemed 'actionable' until it happens.

What does sole custody mean to you?  Custody often refers to the legal end of things such as major decision of medical, school, religion, etc.  On the other hand, a parenting schedule impacts the day to day parenting and care.

Ponder parallel strategies.  Seek sole custody but also work with your lawyer on how to implement backup strategies such as Decision Making or Tie Breaker status.  In practice, DM or TB are effectively sole custody with a twist but not in name.  It allows the other parent to not feel totally shut out.  At least that's probably how it is implemented.

While full legal custody is optimal in high conflict cases, Tie-Breaker or Decision-Making are close seconds and easier to get or keep.  While sole custody feels so much better, there's not all that much difference, here's how the concepts work in general terms:

Sole Custody
   Make decisions and inform other parent as appropriate

Decision Making
   Make decisions and inform other parent as appropriate

Tie Breaker
   Ask other parent, if tied then proceed and inform other parent as appropriate

Typical Joint Custody
   If no agreement on a major issue (medical, school, religious, etc)
   then parents turn to mediation, court, etc.

As you can tell, there's not all that much difference.  So if you can't get sole custody then advocate for DM ot TB.  Something is better than nothing.  The ex can always take things to mediation or court, just as you can.  Of course, sole custody is safer and more likely to withstand sabotage, but many courts are reluctant to award sole custody to one parent, they prefer not to declare a Winner and a Loser.  So DM or TB are more palatable all around, court likes the nonjudgmental middle ground, ex saves face and you get to proceed with minimally sabotaged parenting.

Dontknow88

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 07:52:28 AM »

Courts are typically reluctant to grant sole custody without documented basis.  I think risk to the child might be one of them, probably depends on how it is quantified and other factors.  One downside is that something isn't generally deemed 'actionable' until it happens.

What does sole custody mean to you?  Custody often refers to the legal end of things such as major decision of medical, school, religion, etc.  On the other hand, a parenting schedule impacts the day to day parenting and care.

Ponder parallel strategies.  Seek sole custody but also work with your lawyer on how to implement backup strategies such as Decision Making or Tie Breaker status.  In practice, DM or TB are effectively sole custody with a twist but not in name.  It allows the other parent to not feel totally shut out.  At least that's probably how it is implemented.

Well legally the most I think for him to do is get supervised visits, pay child support and that is it. He's high functioning but pretty unstable to the point that I fear the though of him being alone with our son.

I know supervised visits and paying child support is all he can Handel (and he's admitted that). But since him being in a new relationship and new co-workers he's  been getting (for the lack of a better word) " false hope" . Like when I met him I though he was a great guy. That's what they see now.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest