Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 03:56:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Here, Adult Daughter, Organizing My Thoughts  (Read 357 times)
DaughterOfHera

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: April 17, 2017, 05:26:44 PM »

Hi.  I've recently joined a memoir-writing group and am in the process of organizing my thoughts on what it was like to grow up in a family dealing with multiple mental illnesses (Mother BPD signs / tendencies & diagnosed Primary Depression, Father diagnosed Schizophrenia, Sister diagnosed Schizo-Effective Disorder, two Aunts BPD).  Father passed.  Sister unable to behave companionably.  Mother resentful and overwhelmed, not wanting the children she had.  I was mostly kept away from family and we moved to a new city / town / farm every year or so, keeping me from "having people" or any kind of stability.

Now an adult, I have made choices to improve my life such as with decades of therapy and re-learning, as well as moving into a safer environment.

Two of my greatest challenges are:
1) Trying to figure out what words to put to my experiences; and
2) Trying to figure out what is truth and reality.

While I did try years as a member of a local support group for care-givers of loved-ones with mental illness, and taking a 12 week course on the topic, I still don't know anyone else in the same situation as I, and I find it difficult to confer with anyone new about it in person.  Found this on-line website, so thought that I would try it out.  Mainly I would like the opportunity to see if I can manage some headway regarding the 2 challenges I've listed above.  I'm appreciative of the opportunity.  Thank you.
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:31:25 PM »

Hi DaughterOfHera! 

Welcome! You've come to the right place to find others who will be able to listen and understand. We are all dealing with some challenge of one kind or another related to a pwBPD so you will not be alone.

Sounds like you have worked through a lot already but still have things you are working on.

Excerpt
Now an adult, I have made choices to improve my life such as with decades of therapy and re-learning, as well as moving into a safer environment.
Two of my greatest challenges are:
1) Trying to figure out what words to put to my experiences; and

I find it hard to put my own experiences with my uBPDm into words as well. It plays out so clearly in my brain but I struggle to get it out in a way that shows it. I have two books I'll suggest to you. One is written by a woman who has done a nice job of teling both her story and how she has worked to overcome the effects of having a BPDm. The other is a book which deals with your second point, specifically about learning to trust yourself. I've read both books and they are helpful and thought provoking. Here are the reviews:

Missing: Coming to Terms with a Borderline Mother

Surviving a Borderline Parent

What do you find to be the most difficult when you try to express your story in written format?

Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 11:00:44 AM »

When your parents are "off", this is a struggle many children must face.

DaughterOfHera

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 12:45:06 PM »

Woolspinner2000... .Thank you for the 2 book recommendations.  These look helpful and I have ordered them. 

In regard to your question... .[What do you find to be the most difficult when you try to express your story in written format?] ... .I tend to think in concepts and memories rather than words.  I think, also, in not having any adults around me growing up who could teach which words even COULD be applied to what I was witnessing / experiencing, this created blanks in my education.  We all are taught, as kids, THIS is what the letters A B & C look like, or, THIS is what the colour yellow looks like, or, THIS is what an apple looks like, but we are rarely taught THIS is what a symptom and it's resulting behaviour looks like.  So, I'm now having to figure those out for myself, almost as if I'm creating a visual chart or something, such as we would get with learning the alphabet.  Years ago, while taking a Self-Help course, the facilitator included one of these charts that put word labels to feelings / facial expressions, and I have found it to be quite helpful.   It looks like a series of emojis with the label below each one.  (I'm trying to insert one here, but the "insert image" button is not working in a way that I am familiar with.)
DaughterOfHera

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 12:48:41 PM »

Skip... .thank you for the understanding, and for the emoji hug. *grin* Smiling (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest