Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 05:57:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this the end?  (Read 364 times)
Idontknow15
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 10, 2017, 05:29:16 PM »

I am in a romantic relationship. I believe my boyfriend has BPD. We've been together about 4 years. Things have always been difficult and confusing. I never understood the arguments. We took a break once then got back together. Everything was constant drama and compromise. I was unfaithful online and got found out. I was overcome with guilt and shame and vowed to do anything to make things right because i love him. Then began the slow steady decline, accepting all the blame, the isolation, creeping compromise. I didn't know what was going on. We went to couples counselling, he pulled out. Things got worse, i realised i'd changed, not for the better. I continued some therapy on my own. I looked for answers and learnt of BPD. Everything suddenly seemed to make sense, maybe i wasn't crazy. I continued to work on my self esteem with my therapist. In the last two weeks i realised i have choices, i learnt to say no.

Two weeks later, i'm sat at my mothers having walked out on his behaviour for the first time. I don't have to accept being shouted at, sworn out and pushed. I walked out on the behavioir not him. Its terrifying, i don't know what he might do. Hes already emailed our estate agent and cancelled our tenancy renewal. I don't know what to do.

I guess i'm here because i know i need help and support. I've only just opened up to my parents. I realise how critical things are and i guess i need validation that i am not a bad person, that i'm not failing him and myself.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

RAPIDclassic1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 05:48:33 PM »

Hey IDK15, You wonder about failing yourself and him; the hard line is you have to look after yourself and let go of relationships that simply do not function.  It's not a failing, we are all allowed to be what we are, even, sadly , BPD's.  Many folks here are trying to cope in those relationships and many others have moved on, it's a personal choice, not a fail or didn't fail thing.  I for one, think you have taken a big step to getting out but think you have a lot to go through in the near future.  This is a great resource... someone here has a similar tale no doubt.  Welcome aboard!
pipestove

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 07:11:05 PM »

Seems like the devalue stage has already set in. Also, when you start to notice you just ain't yourself, it's better to let go of the relationship.   You are starting to wake up from being hypnotized by him.  Realizing he is the crazy one not you.   Once you realize whats really going on, its only going to decline from there, cause now you see everything for what it really is.  You are not going to want to tolerate some of his behaviors anymore.   I didn't realize what's was gong on till she moved.    Now I look back and wish i left sooner.   

Their love isn't real, they play mind games, the constant lies, manipulation. I dont want that ever again.  After I educated myself, I can know spot a BPD a mile away.  I actually just figured out two of my friends are BPD.  One male one female, both in their early 40's with a path of broken relationships, substance abuse, never happy, sleeping around, ect.   

My BPD of 2 years was exactly the same, except in her early 30's.  I did everything for her, but it was never enough, nor did she ever keep her promises to get help or take responsibility for her actions.  I was dealing with a child in an adult body.   Sadly, she will continue her path of sleeping around and crying herself to sleep on why her relationships don't work out.  Wish you best and hope one day you find true happiness.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 05:00:05 PM »

Hi Idontknow15, 

Welcome

I'd like to join the others and welcome you to the family. I'm sorry that you're going through a difficult time. I'm going to take a guess and correct me if i'm wrong, was it your therapist that suggested to set boundaries? Often there will some back lash at the onset of setting new boundaries, if we didn't have boundaries or had floating boundaries. There will probably be a lot of testing your boundaries, but eventually the boundary testing will get spaced out and there will be significant gaps with the testing.

I don't have to accept being shouted at, sworn out and pushed. I walked out on the behavioir not him. Its terrifying, i don't know what he might do. Hes already emailed our estate agent and cancelled our tenancy renewal. I don't know what to do.

I don't think that he was using his rational mind when he decided to cancel the tendency renewal, he was using his emotional mind, that being said, feelings are quicksilver for a pwBPD, a few days have passed, has it changed his mind? Has there been other instances where he was physically violent? Are you safe?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest