Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 01:27:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 BPD sons and both addicts - update  (Read 437 times)
Calm Waters

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married living together

« on: May 03, 2017, 06:44:03 AM »

It's been a  few months since I visited BPD family. A quick recap - 2 sons 29 and 21 both BPD both with serious addiction problems, older one attempted suicide in 2014 whilst out of his head on something and spent nearly 2 years in hospital recovering, younger one deeply traumatized by his brothers actions turned to drugs. So I now have to BPD substance addicted crack cocaine addicts that have bled me dry finacially and emotionally. I have lost my job and we are now forcing them to be independent and face life on their own or accept rehabilitation, we have benefitted from help from the national health service and famanon. Its been a nightmare and remains so, dealing with BPD mental illness physical problems from my older sons suicide attempt and crack cocaine has left me and my wife in pieces. Of course we love them but we are having to take the tough road to try and get our own lives back.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Lollypop

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »

Hi calmwaters

My heart goes out to you.  I'm also very sorry to hear that you've lost your job, this must be a big blow on top of everything else.  It is very hard to deal with the fear of crisis, but you know, with crisis there is change.  Your own financial situation is forcing your sons to be independent.  I'm really glad to know that you've got help from your NHS and famanon and hope it continues so you get the support you need. It is a tough road.

You're so right, you do need to get your own lives back. Your lives matter and everybody deserves happiness.

Gently forwards my friend.

LP

I did my best. He told me I wasn’t good enough. White
Kwamina
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 01:14:06 PM »

Hi Calm Waters,

I have often thought about how you were doing. Thanks for the update. I am sorry to hear the situation with your sons is still so difficult, yet knowing your previous posts it was clear they were dealing with some serious issues for quite some time.

Do you at least feel like your sons have ever shown any true insights into their own behavior? Do you feel like they have ever acknowledged that there might be something wrong with the way they behave and how it negatively affects the people close to them?

I am also very sorry to hear you lost your job. That's tough, especially considering all that is going on with your sons. I too am glad that you have had some help from the NHS and Famanon though.

Of course we love them but we are having to take the tough road to try and get our own lives back.

I definitely understand and it is important that you and your wife are also very mindful of your own well-being and not just focus on taking care of your sons. Though we mostly present and discuss all the tools separately on this site, love, validation, boundaries and setting limits actually go hand in hand. Love without boundaries isn't really love at all and can easily turn into total self-sacrifice.

Take care

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 03:02:05 PM »

Hi Calm Waters,

I'm glad you came back to let us know how you're doing, and so sad to hear about your job and the ongoing struggles your two sons have with addiction and mental illness. Somehow you and your wife have managed to stay together and soldier through what by any measure are traumatizing and heart breaking experiences

If I remember correctly, your son broke up with his GF when he was in the hospital? Is she completely out of the picture? It can be hard to love and care for someone who is hell bent on sending you away

The tough road, yes. It is so hard to let go and live our kids stand on their own when we know they are nowhere near ready.

What is next for you as you take stock of things and start to rebuild?

LnL

Breathe.
Calm Waters

Relationship status: married living together

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 08:38:47 AM »

Thanks all, I can report that tentatively there seems to be some improvements. Laying down clearer boundaries and  ' letting go with love' is proving to be helpful to all of us. However my wife still finds it hard not to 'rescue' whenever the opportunity arises. Also the fact that the younger one is now on probation for breaking in to a shop back at Xmas and the threat of us kicking him out if his behaviour doesn't improve both of these mean we have some serious sanctions if we need them. Yes all girlfriends have run off scared! - hoping the summer will be ring further improvements - Best regards - Calm
Kwamina
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 01:57:47 PM »

Hi Calm Waters

Well I am glad there have at least been some improvements. I hope the situation with both your sons will continue to get better, also so you and your wife will hopefully experience a bit less stress and can experience some calm(er) waters Smiling (click to insert in post)

Take care

The Board Parrot

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest