Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 07:43:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Undiagnosed BPD/NPD mother  (Read 377 times)
Peacewithin

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: May 10, 2017, 12:07:26 AM »

Greetings.  I'm glad to have found this forum and am the adult child of a mentally ill mother and enabling father.  

My mother seems to have BPD and NPD, though she will not go to a therapist so it's undiagnosed.  I've subsequently had several female authority/mother figures in my life who share similar traits.  For over a decade, I've done self work through therapy and psychology studies.  A couple of years ago, I tried to set relationship boundaries with my mother for the first time.  It did not go well and was not understood by my mom.  She has been on a rampage of rage, victim hood, projection, etc etc etc. One bright side is that it did greatly clarify for me the extent of her disorder and helped me to accept the difficulties that have arisen from it and the family-dynamic around it.  I've since gone to CoDA meetings for the past year and feel ready to attempt a (hopefully just casual, not close) relationship again with her... .but I do feel really confused about how to communicate with her... .
We over 3000 miles from each other, and this seems to increase the misunderstandings.  It feels like I don't really exist for her but that there is a fantasy of me... .I also left home at 14 to boarding school, so we have not lived together for decades.  Mostly, we can communicate via the phone or email... .as a not highly-verbal person, I feel especially at a lost when I'm on the phone with her. Ugh. 
I'm here to hopefully learn more about what is useful and what is not... .

That's all for now.  Thanks for listening!  

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 01:09:02 AM »

Hello Peacewithin,

Welcome

Regarding the other mother figures in your life,  do you think your relationship dynamic with your mother led you into these relationships? How did you detach from them?

The communication with your mother sounds strained given the history.  This communication tool can help.  I've found it to be helpful verbally as well:

Brief, Informative, Friendly, Firm (BIFF)

We look forward to hearing more of your story and how best we can help  

Turkish

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Peacewithin

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 03:41:16 AM »

Thank you for the link, Turkish!

Yes, the dynamic with my Mom definitely led me into the other relationships... .in detaching from them, I've chosen to move on to different jobs.  Two of them were highly narcissistic, perhaps BPD bosses.  A third was the most challenging... .first, she was my client, then she was my practitioner... .that continued while she also became my teacher, mentor, colleague and friend.  It got really confusing, but I wizened up to what was going on.  She is undiagnosed BPD and narcissistic.  She actually "saved" me from one of the bosses... . 

Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 06:53:53 AM »

Hi Peacewithin,

I want to join Turkish and welcome you to the BPD Family 

If this were me, I would start by using email it slows down the interaction so you can really think about what is being communicated to you and you can really think about your response back.  Take your time in responding, maybe wait 24 hours.  It helps keep those pesky knee jerk reactions that we can have out of the communication.

If her communication to you is abusive, critical, mean, accusatory, hurtful or a put down... .basically untrue or invalid you don't have to respond, in fact I wouldn't respond.  We have a saying around here, don't validate the invalid. If the email is a mixed bag, good and negative only respond to the good portion and ignore the negative piece.

Turkish's suggestion of using BIFF is a great idea, and I would add being a visual person I would send pictures... .something you think she might like or be interested in, if she likes quilting include a picture of a quilt, gardening... .picture of flowers, favorite TV show an article about the show/cast.  I would keep what you share about your personal life at arms length... .set some boundaries about what you feel comfortable sharing with her. 

By the way you are communicating perfectly clearly to me here today, have you ever thought that your mom is twisting what you are saying around to suit her own purposes or because of her own distortions, so she can be the victim?  I see my SO's (significant other's) uBPDxw (undiagnosed BPD ex-wife) do this type of thing frequently in relation to their 2 daughters. I would argue that your communication issues with your mother have a lot more to do with her than with you.

I'm so glad you've decided to join us, we all "get it" because we all have someone with BPD in our lives.  The members here are very supportive, have great ideas and suggestions, and the site has a lot of tools that can help.  By the way I also want to point out the box to the right --> each item in the box is a link to more information just click on anything that resonates.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Take Care,
Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Peacewithin

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 12:00:58 AM »

Hi, Panda39!  

Thank you for the welcome!

I appreciate your advice.  Not responding to the negative/hurtful/"entirely different reality" bits feels relieving.  Last week, I spent a ton of time trying to figure out how to respond to a text that made no sense to me... . In the end, I responded to the parts that I understood, mostly acknowledging her feelings... .and then bought time by saying that I was still considering how to respond to the rest... .She ended up calling and we had a really short, civil, not painful to me conversation.  Woohoo!  

Sending pleasant pics and not going into depth about myself also feels right.  I've had to mourn not having a mom that I can actually share myself with... .but have worked hard in therapy to mother myself, as it were... .

And, thank you so much for the validation about my communication abilities.  I've doubted them my whole life... .fortunately, I've been seeing more and more clearly how my mom's reality is often just not true to mine.  Going to CoDA meetings for the past year has really been helping me sort out what's mine and what's not... .

Thank you, again!  I'm really glad to have found this site.  

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest