Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 10:21:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think my mom has BPD. Maybe even my dad too, but he's definitely less hurtful  (Read 351 times)
Loveyourself
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: May 24, 2017, 11:33:56 PM »

I'm new. 34 yo. Just looking for a sense of community. I think my mom has BPD. Or narcissistic pd, or traits of both. As far as I can remember she was diagnosed with depression but I guess that may have just been a symptom of her BPD. It feels like I'm constantly walking on eggshells around her, unless she is In a good mood. Until recently, I thought I was a selfish daughter but realized that's just a story I've been told over and over again. I'm an only child, which I think doesn't help the situation either. Also, feel like the identified patient with my parents. Like my parents use me as a scapegoat and my mother tries to pin my dad against me. Their love is very conditional. And if they don't approve of a life choice I make, it is made really clear by stonewalling me or shutting me out. It's all kind of sad. I guess the saddest part is that i am only seeing things clearly now. Until recently, I thought we were very close, which is really funny because we couldn't be further apart.
Kwamina
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 06:43:24 AM »

Hi Loveyourself

I love your screenname Smiling (click to insert in post)

Welcome to bpdfamily, we have a lot of members here with BPD parents who will be able to relate to you. Having disordered parents can be very tough and at the same time it can also be very difficult to really see what's going in your family when this life is all you have ever known. You have now come to the point that you are starting to realize there is something wrong with the way your parents behave. Did something perhaps happen recently that caused you to look at them differently?

I have older siblings but they are way older than me and for many years I lived alone with my undiagnosed BPD mother. It is very difficult when you are a child alone with disordered parents. You also mention your dad and it seems he also exhibits some quite troubling behavior. Do you think he also has a PD?

Take care

The Board Parrot

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest