Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 06:19:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPDh abandoned me yesterday - packed up & left  (Read 360 times)
bananas2
Formerly OnceHadMoxie

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 24, 2017, 11:54:35 AM »

He was doing so much better lately thanks to his therapy. Then we got into an argument last night about his past abusive behaviors and how I now have complex PTSD from everything he's put me thru, and that that involves a lot of latent anger on my part, which is just now surfacing. (Our marriage counselor even told him that he will just have to endure my anger for awhile until he makes full amends). We got into an argument & I snapped and got very aggressive. He packed up everything except the furniture (even his pics off the wall) & left & wouldn't tell me where he was going. Said he's going to maybe file for divorce, bc - get this - he needs to set a boundary regarding MY behavior, so he needed to leave to "feel safe." Granted, I was too aggressive during the argument and have had problems lately managing my newly-surfacing anger (working on this a therapist).
I think of all the things he did to me in the past (things for which he has shown little genuine remorse), and the rage just builds inside me until the valve opens & that scorching steam spews out.
So, anyway, he left. I have no idea where he is. He told me he will at some point be coming back for the rest of his possessions. He also stated that he will no longer be depositing his paychecks into our joint acct and will be taking money from our acct to set up his own. Mind you, I am totally disabled, unable to manage fully on my own, and my only income is my measly SSDI income. I cannot afford our rent, utilities, food, etc. on only my SSDI income. I'm terrified.

BPD is like a banana peel awaiting its victim.
bananas2
Formerly OnceHadMoxie

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »

Update: He contacted me after several days and I was able to convince him to come home.
These threats of abandonment & financial ruin are taking their toll on me. Seems like just as he is starting to do better, he sabotages & it puts me thru hell.

Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 11:16:54 AM »

Please keep moving forward. Believe it or not, this is still progress. (Usually it is two steps forward, one step back in the real world, despite our wishes... .both for you and for him.)

As you said, both of you were making progress before that fight.

His moving out in the middle of a fight was horrible behavior, but hidden in it is a HUGE bit of healthy progress for him:

He was terribly upset... .and in that circumstance, his approach was to remove himself from the upsetting situation (a fight with you), instead of escalating his level of violence as a way to control you.

Yes, there are ways of removing himself from the situation that are a hundred times better, and I hope that he finds one next time, if there is a next time. Yeah, he was taking your healthier coping tools (enforcing boundaries) and weaponizing them and misusing them, but again, a glint of progress.

Yeah, it is a really tiny silver lining, I know.   Stay strong. Keep doing the right things.

And stick around here and let us know how it is going, with the smaller, daily things--we can help, guide, and support you in the two-steps-forward-one-step-back thing--we, as non's do it too!
bananas2
Formerly OnceHadMoxie

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 12:35:04 PM »

Grey Kitty -
Thank you so much for your words of wisdom and encouragement! You always manage to put things in perspective and find the positive in what may seem like a negative. I had never thought of it as progress until I read your reply. You really eased my anxiety. Thank you!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest