Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 05:41:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trust/Jealousy/Paranoia  (Read 347 times)
AtticWisdom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 12, 2017, 07:15:25 PM »

So, in this case, I'm the jealous one. I'm hoping to get some outside perspectives, but there's some backstory to explain first.

My GF has been very jealous since early in our (3 yr) relationship. Even though I'm not the kind to even flirt with other girls platonically, she's been extremely threatened by the few women in my life (co-workers, roommates, etc) other than her, and we've had some explosive arguments as a result.

Now on to my jealousy... .My GF flirts with other guys all the time. She's always felt more comfortable being friends with guys, so I've had to get over it to a certain extent, except when it has made me very uncomfortable, in which case I've voiced that to her. But most importantly, she has an ex from 10 years ago... .no matter how much time has passed, this guy is THE ex. He's been a point of contention in every one of her relationships since. They went through some ___ together which I won't get into, but from what I know their relationship was volatile and ended abruptly. When we met, she said he was like a bad penny, and she'd been trying to go NC with him. But he's a cop, and at some point she got word that he'd been shot on duty. From that point on she was reeled back in. We've fought about it before, so she has gone through periods of not contacting him or at least pretending that she was.

Fast forward to a little over a month ago. We'd been in an LDR for a while, and I was preparing to move across the state to be with her and her kids. It was a big deal for me--leaving my job, my friends, my band behind. She came to help me move, and at some point her​ sister texted. My GF was napping and her sister had the kids, so I checked her phone. Among her texts, I saw a dialogue (for a month or two) of texts with her and this ex. And they were intimate. Not sexts, per se, but he did say some crude things, and their tone together sounded like separated lovers, not old friends. I knew that they talked sometimes, but I didn't know that it sounded like this. I was crushed, I thought my heart would beat out of my chest.

I confronted her about it. I asked her why she hadn't told me that they were in contact again. She went sullen and blank for a few hours before coming at me with this, essentially:  The texts were innocent, I was misreading them, I don't understand how this guy talks and he talks that way with everyone, and she didn't tell me because she knew I'd be upset if I I knew they were even talking, but if she didn't want me to know then she would have deleted the texts. She also eventually flipped it around, so that I was at fault for not trusting her, even though I didn't accuse her of anything. I just said that I'd seen them, and that it hurt. She said she'd never talk to him again (implying that she'd resent me for it) and that would be that. But she's said that before, so I didn't even consider it. Plus it's not a healthy option in my book.

The argument lasted for weeks, and it has fueled other arguments. Honestly, she's right. I don't trust her as much anymore. In fact, I'm completely paranoid. And not just with this one guy, I feel like I can't trust her with any guy now, my mind runs wild, where it didn't so much before.

Before I even found this site and the common advice, I found enough distance finally to set a boundary. I told her that I'd work on being okay with her talking to him, if she would at least be honest and tell me when (and how) they were talking. I thought this was a fair compromise.

So she went ahead and started talking to him again. She didn't tell me beforehand, only when it blew up in her face. The ex got mad when he saw a video of us on FB doing something that was "their thing," and chewed her out before (supposedly) going radio silent. And our relationship suffered for that too, she went cold for days. I told her again, that if they got back in touch, to be honest with me.

So a week or two ago, we had a (somewhat but not really unrelated) near-breakup. We patched it up, with me setting more boundaries. But I now know that she contacted him again while we were on the outs. I've kept quiet about it because I don't know the extent, but it bothers me a lot. All of this does. It sucks that I feel like I can't trust her, it often makes me hate myself and it certainly makes me look at her differently. I'm not really sure what to do about that. Since I feel like a certain amount of devaluation has occurred in our relationship, I'm starting to believe that she's capable of anything... .I don't know. Is there a way to stop these torturous thoughts?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 08:18:09 AM »

Hi AtticWisdom

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been trying to figure out how best to respond. I personally do not have a lot of experience with my pwBPD having outside relationships so I wasn't quite sure which direction to go. It sounds like you are in a very confused place right now in trying to determine how to handle your SO relationship with her ex.

In my opinion, this relationship sounds inappropriate. At the same time it sounds like she is going to continue this relationship no matter what you have to say about it. I think the best thing to do is to set some boundaries around the relationship such as letting her know that it hurts you when she shares intimate details about her life with him instead of with you or that you would like her to stop allowing him to make inappropriate comments to her.

It sounds like she may be setting up a Karmpan Drama Trigangle with this guy. She views him as her rescuer. When things go bad he jumps in to defend or save her. Here is a link to one of our workshops on the Karpman Drama Triangle.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=108440.0

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest