Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 07:08:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking Action  (Read 868 times)
Grey Kitty

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »

As far as the r/s goes, he said he wants to work on it, and I should "really think" about my behavior and start showing more commitment to the r/s first, -he needs to feel he is a priority.

Thought Thought Thought He is asking you to "do the right thing by him for the relationship" according to his feelings/understandings.

You can turn that around and ask him to do the same thing. Consider asking him something like this:

"Will you 'really think' about your behavior, and show commitment to our relationship, by finding a way to resolve our conflicts without raging at me and throwing tantrums at me?"

NOTE: I'm not actually suggesting you stay it to him like that... .we have better communication tools to wrap that up in... .I'm just suggesting you consider the possibility and the idea!
allienoah

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2017, 10:52:29 AM »

Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) formflier-
I am going to mull over the separation of theory about what "he has a right to do" and is justified vs what I am obligated or want to do. I am afraid that I am bowing to FOG when I do this. You see, usually it starts with a slight -real or perceived-that I commit. Sometimes it catches me off-guard and I reply with a retort or JADE. Then the tantrum begins as I "didn't own or take responsibility" for my action. Dissecting this process, I see that even if I do commit the error, I can't allow myself to get sucked in when he throws his disparaging comment at me. If I do, then on comes the tantrum.

His reasoning that he did nothing wrong by showing the video is that he was looking for validation from his coworkers that indeed, my son was making a "drug den" for himself. He also wanted everyone to know that he had cleaned the basement out in the fall and "look at this disrespect" shown. When I said it was a violation of my privacy, he retorted with "if there's nothing wrong with it you shouldn't feel your privacy was violated"
Bf said it looks like white trash down there-it doesn't. It is still clean -and to top it off, my son hasn't even been down there since he set it up!

Grey kitty I think that your suggestion is a very good way of tossing the ball back in his court. I honestly feel I am doing so much to make things right.
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

I am exactly where I need to be, right now.

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2017, 04:42:01 PM »

Staff only

I am locking this thread because it has reached its length limit. The post originator is welcomed to open a continuation thread on this topic.  Have a great day.

We are stars wrapped in skin.  The light you are looking for has always been within.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest