Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 04:00:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I even begin? I unknowingly triggered him.  (Read 338 times)
misuniadziubek

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Semi-long distance relationship living apart.

« on: September 27, 2017, 05:42:26 PM »

We were supposed to celebrate our fourth anniversary last weekend. I I told him that I would be there around 7.

I drive up to his driveway (1.5hr drive) and it's empty I messaged him to ask him where he is and he tells me he's at his friends house 30 minutes away. I'm really upset because I told him when I'd be there. When I later confront him about it he says that he's not going to wait around for me all day he's got things to do. And that I'm always inconsistent with how I come up so what's the point of letting me know.

I drive to his friends place and I'm only on 3 hours of sleep so I'm kind of out of it. I'm making jokes and reading funny things off of a forum to his friend. at some point I go on this game called 50/50. It's one of those risky clicks websites. It lists off two different scenarios you might see. One is happy adorable or sex-related while the other one is going to be something disgusting or gory requiring eyebleach from the effect.  Ask his friend if he wants to play. I already clicked and got a picture of a naked person so I only read out the options to his friend barely noticing what it is and I'm actually reading and laugh about the picture

An hour passes an hour passes and my boyfriend says that he wants to leave. I see no problem but I noticed that he seems very distant. I followed him outside and ask him if everything's okay but he tells me not to worry about it. He takes a different route home. I try to keep up with this car so don't get lost but he just speeds off.  

I figure out how to get to his house with GPS. When I get there he's very distant and not talking to me. I said on his bed and he just continues to clean. I try to start conversation but he's very unresponsive. And when I asked what's wrong he says it doesn't matter. He mumbles something. Like if I don't know what's up then it doesn't matter. So instead of being connected and having a wonderful time he's completely closed off from me and kind of stonewalling me. I get upset and I try to get him to talk but he just responds with with "what the fuc do you want from me?" Do you really want to go down that rabbit hole?

I fall asleep because I'm ridiculously tired and upset. I Wake Up 3 hours later to him on the bed. He's kind of out of it and seems like he's on drugs and alcohol. Ask him what he took and he tells me he took a benzo and drank some whiskey so that he wouldn't have to feel anything. I kind of try to work with it. There's not much I can do at this point. I tried to coax out of him what made him I'm so upset. He keeps repeating that I just need to be more mindful with the things I say. I scratch my head trying to figure out what is going on but nothing particular comes to mind. I find myself wondering if maybe i told his friend something that he didn't know.

Fast forward the next morning. He wakes up and he tries to initiate sex. I feel very numb though. I was ignored by him for practically most of the night. I feel disconnected and sex is the last thing I want to do. Eventually noticing my disinterest gets mad and says that he's got to go somewhere. I kind of break down and start crying the moment he leaves. I was looking forward to a special weekend and he didn't even notice that I was upset and expects me to just move on.

When he comes back I try to get him to talk to me. Then explain how I feel. He gets very angry with me. Asks if I really want to start that fire. He repeatedly tells me that I should just go home and leave him and find somebody else. That he doesn't want me here.

I'm still in the dark though. Eventually he just yells out "the one thing I told you about. The one thing I trusted you with. and you just laugh about it. Just like everyone else has in my life."

That's when it clicks. Scenario one in the 50/50 game. I barely acknowledged... I definitely didn't want to see it. And that's when I realized that it actually happened to him. He's mentioned details and he's mumbled the story while he was having a severe flashback but most of it was unintelligible. But I never understood the connection. I never knew the real story and now it all clicked together. And I couldn't ask because it was too triggering to him.

At this point he's so Furious. I tell him that I'm sorry and that I didn't know. He doesn't believe me. He says he's leaving. I asked if it's okay if I come with him. Seeing how mad he is I know that at the very least if I'm in the car with him he won't pull anything risky. That the emotions are very temporary and he doesn't actually want to be alone. Otherwise he would tell me to not come with him. By the end of that drive he's pretty calm or numb.

The next couple of hours he's working on this car at his friend's house and telling me how I was the last person he could still trust and now he can't even trust me. How terrible it is for him to witness me making fun of the thing that has fucd him up so bad. I tried to tell him that I didn't realize it was exactly that thing. That I had never fully heard the story because he was so incoherent when he told me. At one point he tells me that he feels like is nothing more to live for and that I'm not the same person he fell in love with. That he doesn't recognize me. That he sees Me Like a Stranger.

I told him that he's in a lot of pain and these feelings are temporary even though they're extremely  real to him. That he's looking at everything through a distorted lens and I'm absolutely the person he fell in love with and I'm even better version of that person. I know this because he tells me this all the time. That sometime in the future it's going to feel completely different and that he shouldn't make rash decisions based on his distorted perspective. That even if he feels really alone right now I'm still going to stay with him until he stops feeling that way.

Eventually he gets back to me. Even though he's still in a lot of pain he starts to think more rationally and he starts to perceive me as somebody that cares about him. He expresses regret that we couldn't have gone out for our anniversary. I tell him that we can do that next week. That there's no time limit on it. That way we can really make it special for ourselves.

I still feel so traumatized by all of this. Coming to an empty house and then getting the grunt of his anger and dysregulation. it's a lot to experience in 24 hours and it still keeps coming up to the surface for me. Even though now things are okay again. I don't know how to move on from this in a good way.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:52:20 AM »

Sorry that your anniversary weekend didn't go so well.

For me personally I've found that any games relating to sexual topics never go well with my H. He will inevitably take something very personal. I played "Card Against Humanity" with some girlfriends last December and he still brings it up to this day.

Going back to your situation:

It sounds like you started to do a lot of JADEing. He began to tell you about how hurt he was about the scenario. Your response is to begin telling him "I didn't know." This is justifying yourself. Don't JADE This can be extremely invalidating to a pwBPD.

If you had validated his embarrassment or hurt first how do you think he would have responded?

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:05:57 AM »

I might also toss in there that anniversaries (any holiday or celebratory event) can be very triggering in itself.  H feels that any efforts will fail so he often does not try, or gets very cranky beforehand.  He feels pressure and expectations (that I try to never put on him), and that makes him more likely to freak out, to engage in silent treatment, for awkward sex where he complains or picks a fight during - it's a mess.

So, your BF may have been on edge, to begin with - he started the whole weekend off by accusing you of already ruining it by being "inconsistent" and expecting him to "wait all day" when to me it sounded like you were on time.  The first part to me sounds like he did not want to deal with it, and the incident with the game was just something to latch onto and ret-con into it all being your fault.

That said, the minute he started with the silent treatment, stop asking him, "what's wrong, what did I do, are you okay?"  That just fuels the fire since you can't read his mind and already know like he expects of you - to him it can sound like you are trying prod him even more.  His emotions are the only ones he can process and understand, especially one he's allowed himself to get upset.  Yours are not even "real" to him, and for some reason, pwBPD tend to believe we hurt them on purpose, that we enjoy causing them to get upset, that we JADE not to diffuse things but in order to purposefully escalate them.  Once you see the warning signs, stop.  Just stop trying to talk at all is sometimes safest.  There are times you can discuss things, in silent treatment mode or rage mode, those are not those times. 

Excerpt
He will inevitably take something very personal
^^ Yes.  Everything is all about them, and all comments meant to praise or harm them - there is no happenstance, there is no "I didn't know".  They are very sensitive to anything that can be perceived even remotely as a slight, and they tend to assume you (or anyone else) did it on purpose, because to them that all makes sense.  H comes out of left field, hurt and upset by things that had NOTHING to do with him, that he chose to interpret as being an insult to him.  For me, it's all very confusing and hard to tell what happened when he's upset by something that NO ONE meant against him.  He is also easily embarrassed and finds reasons to hold onto shame and negative feelings, and then push them off onto me to get rid of them. 

Try to remember this person you are with is not fully emotionally functional.  Our desire to explain away hurt comes across as a fight.  As an excuse.  It's never enough to explain, "Oh, you thought I meant something bad about you?  But I was talking about a character on TV/at work, etc."  It's always how their first emotional knee-jerk reaction made it FEEL, not any truth, logic, or facts, or even your point of view.  They have a hard time, once triggered, hearing any of those.  I try to no longer waste hours being yelled at while trying to explain how I did not even say the things he is accusing me of, that those are ideas coming out of his own head.  Later, calmer, at a time removed from it, you can talk about (hopefully).  But during the storm it's best to try to just keep a distance (physically or emotionally) to protect yourself.  When you see the silent treatment start, you can't stop the train by standing in front of it - you get off to the side, and look for the brakes.  Same with the rage.  We WANT to JADE.  It's a normal desire to make someone not mad by explaining to them how their interpretation is incorrect and so they should not be mad - but that is invalidating.  Invalidation is a form of abandonment to a pwBPD. 

isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 10:09:01 AM »

Re: Cards against humanity.  Bleh, I kinda hate that game anyway.  Its goal is to make people giggle with the imagery conjured up by the card, but I memorized them all pretty much the first time we played.  I can't really enjoy a game with midgets and a bucket being the constant punchline.   

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 10:31:34 AM »

Re: Cards against humanity.  Bleh, I kinda hate that game anyway.  Its goal is to make people giggle with the imagery conjured up by the card, but I memorized them all pretty much the first time we played.  I can't really enjoy a game with midgets and a bucket being the constant punchline.   

Haha It's way overrated. Then again, I'm more in the poop humor than sex humor Freudian stage. 

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest