Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 01:22:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi, new member seeking tools to be stronger.  (Read 590 times)
Thatch
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 22, 2017, 12:08:38 AM »

Hi all. Just joining up for help living with my partner and mother of my 2 children. I just discovered this info on borderline personality disorder and that seems to be what is going on. Any coping tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 03:41:43 PM »

Hi Thatch,

Welcome and hello Smiling (click to insert in post)

What are some of the main challenges going on?

Glad you found the site, and sorry for the sadness and pain that brings you here.

LnL

Breathe.
pearlsw

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 04:28:18 PM »

Hi Thatch,

Welcome! Smiling (click to insert in post) There are many great tips and lessons on the right hand side of the board. I have some background in Mindfulness so taking the time to refresh on that skill and apply it to my current relationship situation has been helpful!

I find this one on Don't be Invalidating helpful because it reminds me to speak more carefully/deliberately with my partner: https://bpdfamily.com/content/communication-skills-dont-be-invalidating

Is there one that sounds interesting to you? Smiling (click to insert in post)

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
Wanda

Relationship status: in second marriage for 20 years on valentines day

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:11:26 AM »

there is a lot on here to read... I love boundaries they are for you not for them. that helped me to be stronger, the thing to remember with boundaries when you set one up if you do this i will do that you have to go through with it...
example along time ago when my husband used to road rage it scared me... so my boundary  was and u told him he road raged again when i am in the car i won't drive with him for one week. one time he was in my car and raged my boundary was you rage when i am driving u will get out and walk. let me tell you i will never forget it was fathers day and he raged and i stopped told him to get out or i will call the police, he did and walked from noon till 5 or 7 told him to call me when he was ready to act appropriate in a car. i went about my day it was father day, so seen my dad.  he finally called he walked along way. to say it never  happened again... as far as road rage once he found out i meant buisness that stopped also took a few times but he stopped road rages...
  another one he calls me and rages on phone i won't answer him for hours i usually gave it a few when he knew i wasn't going to listen to him rage he adventually stopped. due to i would hang up on him. by me doing these things i became stronger i had to call the police only once, he just knew i meant buisness there is a book called boundaries that is a good one to read. Hope this has helped . lots to read on here so keep reading and the more you learn the more it will help you
AskingWhy

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »

One of my first recommendations in living with a partner with BPD is to not take things personally.

The acting out, rages, threats and other manifestations are not about you but about your partner.

It's easy and common to take these things to heart, but try to step away from your immediate responses.

You are on the way to understanding how and why BPD functions in the pwBPD.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest