Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 08:31:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Realization that my sister has BPD  (Read 374 times)
bullcitybiker
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« on: April 17, 2018, 07:55:18 PM »

So glad I found this group. I have a had a pretty dependent relationship with my sister for many years and didn't realize that it was based on my behavior. I often validated her even when she was in the wrong, i buffered her from some my father, I always took her side and about 8 months ago I FINALLY realized that all of this was conditional. For the first time I took a stand and chose not to pick a side in the triangulation she often puts me in with her arguments between her and my parents. It got ugly very quickly and she couldn't understand why I chose not to participate in a situation I had nothing to do with. I live 13 hours way from them. She put words in my mouth and said that she didnt want to have a relationship with me. I came to the conclusion with the help of my therapist that this relationship has been based upon me feeding her ego. "Co-signing her bull___" as they say. Even as I write this she has made up with my parents and they are all enjoying the close relationship they had before minus me. After she called me some terrible very untrue things I told her I leave it up to her to reconnect. She has not. Apparently while I chose not to assert myself in a a situation I had nothing to do with I am the bad guy in all of this. I carry A LOT of anger around this. Sometimes the sadness overwhelms me and sometimes the anger overtakes me. I have kept our contact focused... .mostly around making arrangements to hang out with my niece while I am in town because I don't want to make the matter worse. More importantly, I want to break the cycle of saying I am sorry for things I didn't do just to smooth things over. There is some relief in this as I am not getting the raging calls complaining about my parents or her husband or her job or her friends which all of this is ever changing from I love you to I hate you. I am a trained therapist who has worked with BPD and I didn't see it in my own sister. I knew she had some issues but I always overlooked it. I didn't see all the warning signs until this big blow up. I saw her at Christmas and that was just awkward. She didn't prevent me from seeing my niece - whose care was in question by my parents which lead to blow up - no physical abuse but just my sister wanting to be out partying instead of caring for her child.

I have been at a crossroads. Sometimes I say F it and feel like I should just let it be. Let her come, if she has the ability, to me to say she is sorry to make amends. I don't think that will happen. She has a long history of rotating friends who the minute they don't agree with her she lets them go. There is part of me that wants to write a letter purging my feelings of frustration and anger which I know will not be received well. I struggle with the old me that would just fall on the sword even if I know in my heart I did nothing wrong just to take the path of least resistance.

My question to you is... .what did you do? What was successful? did you forgive and move on? I don't think I will ever look at her the same after the cruel things she said to me. I know rationally why she responded the way she did - fear, anger of abandonment, a part of her knew that she wasn't spending time with her child and I am sure there was some guilt there. Any feedback is helpful because I admit I just don't know what to do at this point. Thank you.
Pina colada

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 07:38:13 AM »

I am sorry for the sadness, anger and all you are going through with your sister.  While I as well as everyone in our family knew something wasn't right with my sister, we did our best to keep peace until we just couldn't.  For myself, it has been a rocky road with no contact and little contact.  My older sister cut me off in December because while I was out shopping at the grocery store, she asked me why I could "cut her off" but not a guy I was involved with for several years... .I told her it was "apples vs. oranges" and I was shopping, couldn't really give an answer but she kept pushing me so I told her I needed a time out and would contact her in a few.  She sent me a bunch of nasty texts which I didn't read but sent to another family member.  The last one said I was blocked and honestly I haven't shed a tear or looked back!  No contact is hard but sometimes necessary.  I also read, read, read on NPD and BPD.  So many traits for sis.  I am now at a place where I am focusing on the positive in my life which is many!  It has been a long and rocky journey but I feel sadness and compassion for my sister as I know she will never have the peace she so desires nor will she be happy.  Even though you are a therapist, it is hard to see things with our own family.  Keep yourself safe, even if it means very little contact.  Post and read the stories here.  It helps!
LeneLu

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »

Hello,

Today this really resonates with me as I am feeling very weak in my 12th month of no contact with my BPDsister. There are family events coming up (a wedding) that I won't be able to avoid her.  It is triggering all kinds of emotions in me.  That, added to the fact that my son, whom is very close to her, is saying "I wish you and Aunt ---- would make up."  I don't know how to explain it to him.

The pattern of "keeping the peace" for me makes me feel like I have a very weak emotional aptitude. There is something about facing her that I am "scared" of.  My husband asks me all the time why I am afraid of her.  I am and I just can't put my finger on it... .again, I feel weak when she is showing no signs of backing down, no matter the cost to our or her extended relationships.

As for what is a successful tact, that is what is so frustrating about this situation.  It feels like nothing works. I have yet to read a good outcome on these forums. It is said here that going no contact is very difficult because it is a different reaction that what BPDs are used to.  However, if she doesn't come around in response, does it just on like that forever?  That isn't what I want, but I don't want the alternative (of the old patterns) either.  But, like you, I will never see her again the same way after the mean, vicious things she has written me.  She won't ever go to therapy and uses the fact that I DO go to therapy as proof that the problem is with me.

I am sorry that I have nothing encouraging to share but a similar experience.

LeenLou
No-One

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »

Hi BullCityBiker:
Welcome to the Community!  I'm so sorry about the situation with your sister.  I know how difficult it can be.

Quote from: BullCityBiker
There is part of me that wants to write a letter purging my feelings of frustration and anger which I know will not be received well.

I have multiple versions of a letter that I contemplated sending by snail mail to my sister.  I still have them tucked away in a computer file - never sent. 

I think that the process of writing a letter, as if you were going to send it, can be a good way to vent. I have the "tell her everything your feel, let her have it" version, the somewhat tamed "focus on the main issues" version and then there is the totally tamed "walking on egg shells, I-Statement" version. To date, I haven't sent any version of the letter.

If you haven't drafted a letter yet, consider it as a therapeutic tool.  Write it, hold onto it, let some time pass and then read it again.  Let it evolve.  You can find that your anger may well dissipate from version to version.

I discussed various options during therapy sessions:  writing/sending a letter, various versions of a letter, asking my sister for joint therapy sessions with a neutral therapist.  After bringing up these issues over the course of a few months, my therapist frankly told me that joint therapy sessions won't likely work.  She said that another therapist in her office does joint therapy sessions (mostly couples).  She said that generally one person in the joint sessions stops coming to therapy and generally feels that they are being ganged up on. 

So, after considering and discussing various options, my therapist recommended limited contact with my sister.  She suggested that when I might be ready to resume contact, to meet some place for a meal and talk about light-hearted things. As long as we arent't enteracting during an emotional time, it's likely to be smooth sailing.

My question to you is... .what did you do? What was successful? did you forgive and move on? I don't think I will ever look at her the same after the cruel things she said to me.

Everyone's situation is a little different and to varying degrees.  I've come to understand that emotional/stressful life events can bring on extreme BPD traits.  Many people with BPD traits are severely lacking in emotional intelligence.  They can't or refuse to acknowledge that have done anything wrong. 

I, also, have had horrible things said about me and have been blaimed for things and "painted black". like many others, I've felt that I just can't pick up where we left off, as if nothing ever happened.  It's amazing how those with BPD/BPD traits can just one day carry on, as if nothing happened (as if they have totally forgotten things they said or did).

I've been told that "shame" in an issue with people with BPD or strong BPD traits.  With "shame" in the equation, you won't likely have the frank conversation most of us want (to talk throught the issues).  Until they can recognize that they have flaws they need to work on, nothing will likely change with them for the long run.  There may be periods of time when all is well in their lives, and the BPD traits are minimal.  Stressful events happen for all of us, so unless they learn to manage their emotions, a melt down is down the road.

For me, it was hard to understand how my sister could be a faithful church member and not display her BPD traits with church members.  I came to learn that it's common for people with BPD traits to save up their emotions and then dump them only with certain people and perhaps just paint a chosen one or few "black".

I've come to understand that forgiveness is in our best interest.  Forgiveness doesn't mean that you need to have future contact with your sister, just that you work through the anger. Unresolved anger will keep eating at you and use up too much energy. 

I think there is a grieving process that many of us need to go through.  We have to radically accept that we won't ever have the relationship we want with the BPD person in our life.  We may forgive, but it's hard to forget hurtful things that were said and/or hurtful acts that took place.
One event can be easy to forgive and move on from (most of us have done that in the past)  When we experience a chain of hurtful events, it becomes harder to forgive. We have to accept that our relationship won't likely be a normal and healthy relationship.

The reality is that we can't change the person with BPD/BPD traits.  Unless they make some effort to learn coping skills and ways to manage their emotions, not much will change (unless life is always smooth sailing for them).  The only thing we have power over is our boundaries, how we interact/communicate with them and how we react to them.  Everyone has to make their own decision regarding level of contact.  For some, contact level will change between NC to LC (and sometime normal contact).  We all have different situations, so we have to do what is best for us in our unique situation.

I often validated her even when she was in the wrong
Sometimes, it can be best to just not invalidate.  Validation should only be about acknowledging someone's feelings, not that you agree with their position on something or their behavior. 

Take care and let us know how things go.

YouHadMeAtHello

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »

Hi BullCityBiker!

I am in a similar situation with my sister.  I spent so many years validating her feelings, cheering her up, helping her, etc.  I took a ton of abuse from her, actually, but because her rages never scared me the way my dad's did I actually didn't even consider them rage.  That's a recent revelation for me, that even though her yelling, comments and fights didn't scare me, they were rage and they were not ok. 

Last summer she was just out of control and said and did things I can't forget.  I decided then that I just didn't want anything to do with her and I went from talking to her multiple times a week and seeing her a few times a month to only talking to her when I had to and rarely seeing her.  I just can't see her the same anymore and I don't think that's ever going to change.  My sister is about to be married and I know wedding planning is very stressful, and I feel for her that she cannot manage her stress without lashing out, but I realized that it isn't my problem anymore.  She will probably have a period of peace after her wedding (well, we can hope, at least) and be her more normal self.  I won't be around for that though, of course. 

Ultimately, I'm just low contact with my sister.  I am in her wedding party so I have had to see her and talk to her about wedding related things, but not in the way I would have 5 years ago.  Back then I would have probably made her invitations, her place cards, arranged the flowers, etc.;  I would have done a ton for the wedding.  Instead, I've done nothing but buy a dress and I'll show up on the day.  This is much better for me and I am enjoying a less stressful life.  I'm sad I won't have the relationship with my sister that I used to think I had.  I thought we were so close, but when I think back and actually examine things, I realize that we were never on equal footing; our relationship was always about me doing for her.  Always.  So, I'm opting out of that now and I feel lighter without her stress. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest