Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 04:17:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 431 times)
locksnkeys
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: December 30, 2017, 09:46:54 PM »

Hello,

Firstly thanks for admitting me to the group.

My wife (four letter word) was recently admitted into acute care after a self harm . C is undiagnosed but the healthcare professional suspects bipolar.

We have had issues over the years with the classic traits of BPD.  I know that self or non expert diagnosis is fraught with issues but I am so sure that BPD is a correct diagnosis.

I am reading several books promoted on this site and they are helping me set limits.  However I have a particular issue around getting the professionals to even consider BPD.

We have some private medical cover available would I be better getting them to have a deeper look and provide opinion of the symptoms?

Thanks for your replies - I hope this contributes to the community.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

an0ught
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 07:24:38 AM »

Welcome locksnkeys,

it is great that you found us and are joining in  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post).

Dealing with self harm can be very scary and taxing  Such situations are difficult and you want to do the right thing but at times the right thing may not be in reach and you still may be making progress. Progress is a long and hard process and while targeted therapy is very helpful true progress still takes time and changes from your side. It is very understandable that you want to share your insights with professionals but ultimately therapy is a path she has to decide to embark on and commit to a direction. Boundaries are critical here to avoid getting into triangulation games and there are reasons therapists are very reluctant to communicate too much with partners.

People with BPD are often misdiagnosed as bipolar (and the other way round happens too but less frequently). There are many reasons but one is that BPD is the illness who's name is not spoken as it carries a stigma with patients. Her doctor may very well suspect BPD but may first need to build a relationship to get anywhere - who knows. It is very difficult for you from the outside to understand what is going on. Her doctor may well have said it *may* be bipolar and her b&w thinking turned it into a solid bipolar diagnosis. With self harm BPD should be an obvious consideration but labels tend to scare.

The path to therapy is rarely straight. It is always a very good sign if the journey is started   . Don't worry too much about what the diagnosis is a the moment but encourage your wife to start and continue therapy. At the minimum it would give her another emotional leg to stand on and eases the burden on you  . You'll find others here that are in similar situations somewhere along that path.

Welcome here and a better year 2018 for you   ,

a0

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest