Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 07:24:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Our abuse recovery guide
Survivor to Thriver | Free download.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elderly mother with BPD and Alzheimers  (Read 432 times)
Zillie
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: January 14, 2018, 08:16:30 PM »

Hello.  I'm new here and would like to introduce myself.  I'm in my early 50s and semi retired. My Mum is 78 and, in my opinion, has undiagnosed BPD and diagnosed Alzheimers. She also had a stroke in 2016 but for the he most part has recovered well. I have 2 sisters who live out of town and no other family in the town where my Mum and I live. She does not live with me but is a mere 5 minutes away.  My biggest struggle currently is not knowing if my mum is being deliberately manipulative to get people to visit and help her more or if her paranoia really is getting worse.  It's very confusing. I care about her very much as do my sisters but we are trying to do our due diligence to involve outside agencies which my mum resists every time. We do not have POA.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 11:32:22 PM »

I'm in California.  I involved Adult Protective Services which resulted in a social worker being assigned to my mother.  Several "civilians" were aghast by her living conditions. Eventually the county made it so she could not return to her home and property unless she met certain conditions to fix it up to be livable. As the SW said, "your mom is not capable of meeting those conditions."

What do you think about POA, would you be open to it?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
sweetheart

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 05:19:20 AM »

Hi Zillie

If your mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, my experience with it from my grandma is that in the early stages the person with it often knows something is off and may realise she needs more help. Alzheimer’s is also a progressive disease so your mothers symptoms will be increasing as her memory deteriorates.  Paranoia is indeed very often a symptom of Alzheimer’s , my grandma became increasingly more paranoid about being burgled. She was obsessed with locks and cracks in external doors as she deteriorated. It’s a horrible disease.

Going forward she will must definitely need additional support and she will not be able to manage without it. If this is something that maybe is potentially too emotionally triggering for you, then APS like Turkish has already said will go in and assess capacity, risks and vulnerability.

Does she have any support via her family doctor or Alzheimer’s services in your area?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest