Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 10:56:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New here: has anyone had experience with ECT?  (Read 671 times)
Glitter
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: February 12, 2018, 01:04:49 AM »

My daughter is 16. She has a diagnosis of severe depression, anxiety, and ADHD. When she was at residential they said she has “BPD traits.” She hears voices daily telling her to kill her self and has psychotic episodes in which she says she feels like she is possessed. I have asked the psychiatrist multiple times if this is JUST depression and she says yes.

In the past year and a half my daughter has attempted suicide 11 times. Last Thursday night, she overdosed on lithium and zyprexa and was in ICU for 3 days. We transferred to the University Neuropsychiatric Institute in Utah on Thursdsy.  The drs have recommended ECT, electroconvulsive therapy. We have tried acute psychiatric care 6 times and she spent 2 months in residential. She sees a counselor and psychiatrist every other week and she’s been on multiple med regimens. I am hoping ECT is the right decision but I’m also worried about the procedure. Has anyone had experience with ECT? Do you have any additional insights or resources?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
bluek9

we are full of color

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:08:42 AM »

Hi Glitter, welcome to the board. So sorry to hear that you are dealing with intense challenges. You are in the right place. Just a few seconds ago I had my reply all typed out then hit the wrong button and it disapeared, sorry. Well I'll start over now. No I have never had to think about that kind of therapy. And I'm so glad for it. I have very strong feelings about a treatment that is so aggressive and permanent. I'm counselor and 5 years ago I was working with a young lady, her parents decided to have this treatment done (on) for her. I didn't interact with her for 2 months. When I did finally get to see her I was schocked, stunned, and so very sad. She was in no way the same person I knew before. To me it was not for the better. I know full well I was not in her parents shoes, and I'm not in yours either. I do know that when our children are in pain and suffering, we want to make it better. Please do due dilegence in educating yourselves in this treatment and just exactly what it is going to do to her brain. Once done, it cannot be undone. For me personally I never would never inflict this treatment on someone. In my 60 years of being around, 35 of those years caring for my own BPD d I have not come across any information that would make me change my mind to think that this treatment had any benefit. I know this doesn't really help your decision, it's just an opinion. One of the best parts about coming to this board is to get feed back, feelings, opinions and options from others who are going through the same tulmultious dilemas. Please come back and post again, I will be very interested in what you decide. No matter what that is, as a parent I support you and your strenght in taking care of your child. Bluek9

H:healing, O:options, PE:positive encouragement
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 08:44:12 AM »

Hi Glitter,

Welcome

I’d like to join bluek9 and welcome you to bpdfamily l. I’m sorry to hear that you and your D are going through this. It sounds like a serious and difficult decision to make judging by the previous posters comments. I don’t have a child with BPD in my life it’s my ex I’m sure that others with more experience will join us soon. You’re not all ne.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »

Here is some information on Electro Shock Treatment (ECT) and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation therapy
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=64612.0

Hi!  Welcome!

August93

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »

Hello Glitter,
Welcome to the board.  My daughter has had ECT.  When she was 17 she had 4 ER visits in a matter of 2 months which lead to a week each inpatient for SI.  No attempts were ever made.  She suffered from depression, anxiety and BCP and was a severe cutter.  By the 4th visit we signed the papers to have her admitted to a residential center near by.  She spent her whole senior year there.  She went through many different meds with no success.  They recommended ECT.  It was mentioned to me during her 3rd ER visit but I didn't agree to it.  This time I researched and spoke to the drs that would perform it and heard from people who knew others who had success with this treatment.  We live near NYC so I knew the hospital that was doing the procedure was well known for it.  The one thing the dr did tell me was that it will not help BCP traits but it will help with depression.  Now, I have to tell you that the residential center did not diagnosis my DD with BCP.  They told me that they do not see it.  Her outpatient therapist and my DD both told me that she has BCP.  She is a quiet, well behaved girl that does not like confrontation.  So I wanted to believe that she didn't have it.  We agreed with the treatment.  She had about 20 rounds from February 2016 to July 2016.  The residential center felt it was working.  My DD said it wasn't.  I didn't see any difference.  However, I fully believe they were telling me she was getting better because she was turning 18 and was aging out.  6 weeks after being discharged she landed back in the ER for SI again.  So the ECT stopped.  She had an amazing new Psychiatrist who changed her meds to Effexor and she has been doing great since then.  Her only side effect a little bit of memory loss - very slight.  Today she is doing well.   Please do your research and speak to the drs that will be performing the procedure.  Good luck!
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 02:57:38 PM »

Very helpful... .

Glitter
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 04:02:35 PM »

Thank you for the information and feedback. Due to the severity of her attempts, we are proceeding with ECT.  In addition, while in treatment she is doing DBT and we will continue this practice when she returns home.  We are hoping for a positive outcome!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest