Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 04:50:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do I have a hard time letting go?  (Read 628 times)
Shedd
formerly burnerin

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 26, 2018, 05:27:39 PM »

I wish I could just be like F** you.  Not give any S*** about someone who treated me badly that wants to leave my life, but I can't. 

I tend to care way more than I should.  I mean... .Why should I care if they don't?

I've never really felt accepted my whole life really.  Never really fit in anywhere. 

I tend to be a loner. 

Just wondering why I hold onto people who don't deserve my care in the first place.

Insom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 06:05:28 PM »

Hi, Shedd!

These sound like important but difficult to answer questions.  Congratuations on having the strength and insight to ask them.  I can definitely relate to wondering if I've "over cared" for people who don't deserve it.

Excerpt
  I've never really felt accepted my whole life really.  Never really fit in anywhere. 

This is something I think a number of us here can relate with.  Me included.  Have you thought about where this feeling comes from?  Do you remember the first time you felt it?

Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 06:49:19 PM »

Hi Shedd,

These r/s breakups are really tough you’re left with so many questions and virtually no validation from your ex it’s natural to feel like it’s hard letting go. I think Insom asked good questions. I shared similar feelings too for example I’m an intrrovert so I can handle people for just so little mg and I need my alone time time and then there’s my low self esteem, feeling like I was inadequate and was never worthy enough I think that was a part of me pushing people away. Can you think of some reasons?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Jeffree

Relationship status: divorce

Encourage Mint

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 08:18:15 AM »

Just wondering why I hold onto people who don't deserve my care in the first place.

I think we tend to hold on to the person we fell in love with and spend a lot of time trying to reconnect to that person too long after that person has disappeared.

It's like trying to get the license plate number of the car that just hit you, long after it's way out of the power of your eyesight.

Basically, it's a tough transition to make away from that person who once seemed so perfect to accepting that the personality of that person actually doesn't exist anymore.

J

"Live as if your life depended on it." ~ Werner Erhard
Shedd
formerly burnerin

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 10:56:16 AM »

Hi Shedd,

Can you think of some reasons?

I'm also an introvert.  Very socially anxious.  I can't handle big groups of people.  I tend to friend those who are unwanted.  I think my ex saw that in me.  She always told me I pittied her.  Which wasn't true at all.  I always was trying to tell her how I felt so that she wouldn't believe that, but she never believed me.

I just don't like people who are very into themselves... .EVEN THOUGH she was. , but she also wasn't? She wasn't in secret, but to others she seemed fully confident.  In the closed doors of our relationship she would constantly tell me she hated herself, and that she was ugly.  I would try and try again to tell her she wasn't.

She always needed validation, and I think I didn't offer her that.  She said she didn't like big groups of people she didn't know, but now seems to have found that for herself.  Guess she just didn't like the people I hung out with.

I guess idk if I'm really answering the question right, but these are some things I've learned about myself, and our relationship. *Shrug*

Shedd
formerly burnerin

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 11:00:53 AM »

Have you thought about where this feeling comes from?  :)o you remember the first time you felt it?

Honestly,

It comes from school.  I got bullied in junior high because of my weight.  I didn't used to be shy before my weight gain.  I had to take meds that made me extremely heavy.  They bullied me to the point where I would leave school saying I was sick.  After I stopped taking the meds I lost weight and got back to normal, but my feelings didn't change about people.

Then I just became depressed, and even didn't feel like I fit in with my family.  My sisters all hung out together they wouldn't include me in stuff.  Idk why. (Probably because I didn't want to do drugs?) HA.

Then always had conflicts with friends about them chosing another friend over me.  Makes me wonder what all I do wrong even though I don't feel like I do anything.  Guess I'm just not a wanted person so I stay to myself now a days.

Lucky Jim

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 12:11:51 PM »

Excerpt
I tend to care way more than I should.  I mean... .Why should I care if they don't?

Hey Shedd, That's a great question that I suspect many of us Nons can relate to.  We tend to overlook their flaws and make excuses when they treat us poorly.  We accept the unacceptable, so it makes sense that letting go is complicated for us Nons.  Your acknowledgement of this issue, in my view, is a good first step towards resolving it.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest