Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 09:39:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting divorced need help with how to communicate with the kids  (Read 413 times)
bodhi101
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: August 24, 2018, 11:51:05 AM »

After years of unsuccessful efforts to get my spouse to find a way to hear me in efforts to improve our marriage, I have finally informed my undiagnosed borderline wife that I want a divorce. For too long, I have not established the right boundaries and now that our finances are a mess, I am cutting my losses. I was trying to find a way to let her stay in the home and those efforts have failed. Now I must force her to sell our home, and that is sure to bring a nuclear reaction. Because I don't want to hurt her, I lep avoiding the inevitable. This only enables her bad habit of not accepting our reality and our finances continue to spiral.
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »

I'm sorry that it's gotten so bad for you, and that the family home is going to need to be sold.  I hope that this step eventually brings a lot more peace to you and your kids.

How old are the children?  Do they know yet that you are going to divorce?  Are you and your STBX still living in the family home together?
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 06:47:18 PM »

So many of us were in your shoes, trying to pull the finances and family together while simultaneously being sabotaged.  However, Accepting the inevitable (acceptance is the final stage of grieving a relationship loss) is a step forward.

Losing a house is not as great a loss as you may think.  Kids don't need a particular house, annually millions of families with kids around the globe move.  A house is a location, a Home is far more important.  Yes, ending a marriage is difficult but neither parent should cling unrealistically onto the past, such as a house, as a symbol for stability.  It isn't.  Stability is in your Home, your Life.

Speak with the children in age appropriate ways.  The younger they are, the simpler it can be.

Excerpt
Living in a calm and stable home, even if only for part of their lives, will give the children a better example of normalcy for their own future relationships.  (They'll probably get married some day, wouldn't you like them to make healthy choices and not picking what they've known so far?)  Staying together would mean that's the only example of home life they would have known — discord, conflict, invalidation, alienation attempts, overall craziness, etc.  Over 30 years ago the book Solomon's Children - Exploding the Myths of Divorce had an interesting observation (the earliest quote I could find) on page 195 by one participant, As the saying goes, "I'd rather come from a broken home than live in one."  Ponder that.  Taking action will enable your lives, or at least a part of your lives going forward, to be spent be in a calm, stable environment — your home, wherever that is — away from the blaming, emotional distortions, pressuring demands and manipulations, unpredictable ever-looming rages and outright chaos.  And some of the flying monkeys too.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 11:19:21 AM »

How old are the kids?

What efforts to save the marriage didn't work?

How did she respond when you told her you wanted a divorce?

Have you retained a lawyer?

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest