Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 03:13:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Twice bitten: so many false accusations I'm losing touch with reality (part 3)  (Read 1943 times)
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2018, 05:22:17 PM »

Maybe the problem is me; how I react to her episodes.

Hmmm... .are you wishing you had reacted differently?

For instance... .how would you have rather handled her lack of a response email?  (where you stayed awake for a while).

FF

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Relationship status: Unknown at this point

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2018, 07:29:35 PM »

I think I partially was sucessful in how I reacted. I went to a beach with my son for a few hours and got away from the email back and forth. It was when I returned that I started to really worry and go insane. It is very difficult not to be affected by their dramas. If I could just see it for what it is; her feeling anxious, abandoned, unloved and lashing out at me, and not take it to heart, maybe I'd not be tortured so much by it. I think next time, because I know this will happen again (and again), I will not respond to her emails. In fact, if it gets to the point where Validation is not working, I will tell her I am going offline until ... .What I will try and do instead, is focus on something else. Something for me.

I just saw my psychologist. He has met my partner once before. It is great having him to run all this past as I first saw him when I got into a serious relationship five years ago. He has the whole history. What we discussed today was her but more importantly me, and how I react to these situations. She may never get to therapy or accept she has a problem. She may never commence DBT. But I have some control over this. I can adjust how I behave in relationship to her. You know how tricky this is. There are hundreds of 'caretakers' here on this forum and we are all struggling from time to time. Today I am feeling hopeful this might be a turning point where things slowly get better. Then again, today I have a sparly fresh coat of white enamel, and her Son is inky black.

Steady as she goes, hey? But yeah, no more of the unproductive email tennis.
Radcliff
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2018, 10:04:23 PM »

I think you see parts of this, like the need to not be engaging her e-mail drama, and not lose sleep hitting "refresh."

But the crucial point I think you may be missing, a major philosophical change that you must make in order to make things better, is that your beliefs, behaviors and strategy must not hinge on how she's behaving.  You must not simply relax and enjoy the white periods.  If you do, you'll just get hammered when things turn black, and you'll be fully participating in the cycles still.  Does that make sense?

RC
Red5

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »

*It is very difficult not to be affected by their dramas.

*If I could just see it for what it is; her feeling anxious, abandoned, unloved and lashing out at me, and not take it to heart, maybe I'd not be tortured so much by it.

*I think next time, because I know this will happen again (and again), I will not respond to her emails. In fact, if it gets to the point where Validation is not working, I will tell her I am going offline until... .

*What I will try and do instead, is focus on something else. Something for me.

*I have some control over this. I can adjust how I behave in relationship to her. You know how tricky this is.

*There are hundreds of 'caretakers' here on this forum and we are all struggling from time to time.

*Today I am feeling hopeful this might be a turning point where things slowly get better.

*Steady as she goes, .hey?... .But yeah, no more of the unproductive email tennis.

Hello 2020,

I was thinking about you this morning, so I figured I come over from "conflicted", and look you up... .see how you are doing.

Sounds like you are making your way along, .me too!... ."steady as she goes"!

Seems when I get to the end of my endurance (rope), I am starting to become more and more adept at getting a “second wind”; ie’ I’m getting better at “self-care”… “self-soothing”, like going fishing with my Son, or working on other things around the house…

I too can now effectively “disconnect” when things go too far, and get too hot so to speak.

As time passes, I am seeing progress within myself, that I do not take my uBPDw’s tantrums, and negative behaviors so “at heart” any longer, and it has taken a very long time to get to this “place”… years in fact.

Anyways 2020, just wanted to stop by, say hello, and wish you “safe travels”…

Yes Sir!… “steady as she goes”!

Come on over to "conflicted" sometime and say hello!

Best Regards, Red5

“We are so used to our own history, we do not see it as remarkable or out of the ordinary, whereas others might see it as horrendous. Further, we tend to minimize that which we feel shameful about.” {Quote} Patrick J. Carnes / author,

Relationship status: Unknown at this point

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 05:20:35 PM »

Just a quick reply as I have to get my Son off to school... .

Radcliff, I will digest your advice. This is going to be a long journey for me and there is a lot more to it than I thought. Yes I am basking in the white glow of the 200 watt bulb my partner is shining on me now, but already I can see it fading this morning. I am hearing the 'everything's  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) ed' comments. Yes, you are right; my behaviour is hinging on hers. I'll have to look at this.

Red5: Thanks for the reply. I do read your writings, in fact I have read all of them! The best one of all was the 'roses in the toilet bowl'!   I shouldn't laugh but I can relate to that! It's a long road this one, isn't it? Makes me wonder at times why I am bothering. The good times can be good though, however few and far between they may be. I must go now and steer my ship away from potential looming rocks and rapids. Hope you have a reasonable day.

Staff only
This thread has been locked for length and continued in the following new thread:
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=330908.0
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest