Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 01:34:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First psychiatrist appointment.  (Read 510 times)
boogs152

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« on: November 11, 2018, 08:32:10 PM »

Hello,

My partner is diagnosed BPD. Today is his first appointment with a psychiatrist. He’s never had ongoing treatment before now. I hope he will go the distance.

Anyone have experiences or advice on  a partner seeking early stages of treatment?

What do I need to know? How can we remain mindful and aware?

B x

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 05:42:38 PM »

how did the appointment go, boogs?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
boogs152

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 06:18:13 PM »

My partner seems relatively unamused by his experience. The psychiatrist has completely changed his medication and wishes to see him in two weeks time.
I guess it will take time to build a relationship. He said that the psychiatrist is only after money.
I keep hoping that my partner will do long term treatment and even take up a residency at a clinic in the future but today I’m not feeling optimistic.
The way my partner treats me currently... .I’m not even sure if we’re in a relationship anymore even though we live together. We sleep in seperate rooms.He seems indifferent towards me.
☹️
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 09:11:26 PM »

there is a lot of stigma regarding seeking mental health treatment, and its not uncommon for people with traits of this disorder to be distrustful of the industry... .hang in there, though.

The way my partner treats me currently... .I’m not even sure if we’re in a relationship anymore even though we live together. We sleep in seperate rooms.He seems indifferent towards me.
☹️

how is he treating you currently? did he give any reason for sleeping in separate rooms?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
boogs152

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 09:18:46 PM »

We have always slept in separate rooms. He does this for two reasons. To keep me at a distance and also because he says that I wake him up if I snore. He has terrible sleep issues.

He treats me as if I’m a disappointment to him. Like I’ve let him down. He was telling his psychiatrist yesterday that he doesn’t trust anyone. He goes through phases where this is a prominent issues for him and then he will move onto another obsession... .saying things like... .“I’m a bad egg” I’m a bad boy”.
boogs152

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 09:26:04 PM »

Our relationship... .or whatever it is... .seems to be revolving around him. Don’t get me wrong, I’m independent and I do things... .I work have friends and see films and go out for dinner etc.

But on an emotional level... .this is how it goes... .I find myself in situations where our interactions are based on his feelings and his trauma. I validate, empathise and listen. This is rarely returned to me. And that’s where it ends. I’m either dealing with one of two scenarios... .either I don’t exist... .or I’m not separate from him. It so HARD. I keep hitting dead ends.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 09:28:28 PM »

so HARD.

this does sound awfully hard on you, boogs. its good that youre maintaining your support system, as well as the things that you like to do. these relationships, unfortunately, are not always fair.

are you seeing a therapist for yourself?

boogs152

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 09:44:03 PM »

No therapist
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 09:56:16 PM »

what do you think about seeing one? it could help in the long and short term.

boogs152

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 11:10:22 PM »

I have seen a therapist earlier this year but she more or less told me to leave him amongst other medical professionals
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 11:14:25 PM »

im sorry you had that experience boogs. 

therapists are like shopping for a good pair of shoes... .you gotta find one that fits. id be hesitant to try again too if that were my experience; theres a reason that we support you in your efforts to better the relationship on this board. there are therapists that will do that too.

boogs152

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 11:28:10 PM »

Thanks once removed. I’ve started a few posts in recent weeks. I have no idea what do given my current circumstances. Sometimes okay and other times I’m incredibly sad. I’m in love with a wonderfully kind,talented and gentle man but this is hell sometimes. I feel like an idiot. I feel like I’m being used. So many conflicting feelings.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 11:32:18 PM »

I have no idea what do given my current circumstances.

admittedly, these are extremely difficult circumstances. youre in a rock and a hard place, and there are elements of his behavior that are out of your control.

I’m in love with a wonderfully kind,talented and gentle man but this is hell sometimes. I feel like an idiot. I feel like I’m being used. So many conflicting feelings.

you are also in love with a man that is very limited in his relationship skills, his communication skills, and his ability to cope. there may be room for improvement, especially where positive reinforcement is concerned, but a great deal of this, if you are choosing to stay, will revolve around how you are coping.

boogs152

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 11:44:48 PM »

My emotional needs aren’t being met. I have no idea if I should wait it out. I have no idea how to ask even where I stand with him. Is it important to ask now or wait until he’s in stronger place?
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 11:56:35 PM »

i think asking him would be a tall order. i suspect he has less of a sense for where you stand right now than you do. based on recent events, he doesnt have much understanding of where he is in life, where its going, or what to do next.

you may not have signed up for this, but if you are choosing to stay, youre the emotional leader in this relationship. it will be more effective to, through actions and realistic expectations, lead the relationship in the direction that you want to see it go, like a captain steering a ship through a storm.

have you had a chance to read this: https://bpdfamily.com/content/your-relationship-breaking-down

boogs152

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 12:29:05 AM »

I have read it but I get overwhelmed easily at the moment. So much to remember. And when I try listening and validation that is all our relationship has become.
boogs152

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 04:56:10 PM »

I’ve noticed that my partner becomes significantly calmer after seeing a health professional. Especially if we attend the appointments together. It doesn’t last long but the change is dramatic.

Any thoughts?

And thanks.
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 05:05:41 PM »

Excerpt
I have read it but I get overwhelmed easily at the moment. So much to remember. And when I try listening and validation that is all our relationship has become.
Hi boogs.     It is okay to take a break and to give yourself some slack.  You can't remember everything all at once.  I hate this phrase but I am going to use it here with you:  it is a process. 

Your BF may find the appointments validating and use them as a release.  Generally being heard, validated and acknowledged by someone not central to the relationship is going to help. 

How long do these good times last?  An hour?  A day?

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
boogs152

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 09:35:50 PM »

Well we saw a doctor yesterday. My partner really desperately wants to be admitted to a clinic for residential care. He seemed much better after being validated etc. This is understandable.

The good times last for about 2-3 days then down hill fast.

Down hill for weeks
Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 11:38:27 PM »

boogs, that is a great sign that he feels better after seeing a professional.  Despite him saying that he doesn't trust them, it seems to make a difference.  It again makes me think of a long-term program like DBT that could provide a steady level of support.  A weekly meeting with a counselor plus a weekly skill group, each giving a 2-3 day boost, might be a good match.  Can you remind us of the availability of DBT where you are?  If I am remembering correctly, I think you said it could be difficult to arrange.

RC
boogs152

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 06:00:26 AM »

That’s a good idea Radcliffe. A weekly program and a psychologist session would definitely make a difference. I’m in Australia. There are DBT programs available but the psychologists that have a special interest in BPD are usually booked out and not taking any more clients. We got private health recently so that he can access the best treatment possible next month. A month feels like a long time to me. He spirals so quickly.
boogs152

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 06:38:35 AM »

Also, one other point... .pwBPD seems to sporadically suggest that I should consider moving abroad? I used to live in the UK for many years. I have many fond memories of my time there. Why does he keep telling me to move back there when he knows that I clearly have no plans to travel.
Bnonymous

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 06:45:09 AM »

Also, one other point... .pwBPD seems to sporadically suggest that I should consider moving abroad? I used to live in the UK for many years. I have many fond memories of my time there. Why does he keep telling me to move back there when he knows that I clearly have no plans to travel.

I would guess that, due to generalised abandonment fears, he might be  worried that you will up and move abroad (even though there is no basis for that worry). So, instead of saying a frightened "You don't want to go back, do you? You won't go, will you? You won't leave me?" he says a hostile "Go move back there!" because it gives him the reassurance he needs without having to show vulnerability to get it. That would be my guess. But it is just a guess - only he can tell you his actual motivations. Have you asked him in calmer times?

"You remind me of someone who is looking through a closed window and cannot explain to himself the strange movements of a passer-by. He doesn’t know what kind of a storm is raging outside and that this person is perhaps only with great effort keeping himself on his feet." - Ludwig Wittgenstein
boogs152

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 02:10:13 PM »

I haven’t asked him no... .the calmer moments rarely occur in recent months. I will definitely ask him at the right time. His behaviour has been very confusing in recent months. The past few weeks he’s been telling me that we’re just friends and then yesterday he was calling me babe and sweetheart. I’m finding it increasingly difficult to know what’s going on. I don’t argue with him about it.

On the inside... .in private moments I realise that I’m starting to put up walls. It’s starting to worry me because I love him and love to feel comfortable being affectionate and relaxed with him but there are walls now and I don’t know what to do.

I know he’s not well... .he’s so low functioning BPD. It’s just me and him left to work through this mess. Ultimately that’s all we have.
Bnonymous

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »

I think you're being sensible not to argue with him about it. Even though it can be hell-ish not knowing where you stand like this, he's probably confused himself and couldn't give you answers even if you asked for them.

Mine is low-functioning too and has pushed away everyone in his life but me, so I understand how tough it is navigating through these stormy seas with such a small crew. You've got us to listen and help where we can though.

Can you tell us more about the walls you're putting up?

"You remind me of someone who is looking through a closed window and cannot explain to himself the strange movements of a passer-by. He doesn’t know what kind of a storm is raging outside and that this person is perhaps only with great effort keeping himself on his feet." - Ludwig Wittgenstein
boogs152

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 09:02:24 PM »

I’ve stopped showing him affection basically. He told led not comfortable with it and I tried to respect that but on the occasions I would give him a hug if he was irritable or upset or anxious then he would stiffen up. The final time I hugged and him was more than six weeks ago. His response was one of disgust so I stopped and haven’t done it since.

Staff only
This topic has been locked, and is continued here:
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=331543.0
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest