Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 09:33:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repeated treats of leaving with our child  (Read 404 times)
cowboyssuck
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: November 26, 2018, 03:01:57 AM »

any advice on dealing with the psychological effects of repeated threats of leaving with child?
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 09:09:33 AM »

Are you concerned about your own mental health, or that of your child?  How old is the child?

I highly recommend therapy - for you, and if your child is old enough (4 or older), for them as well.  Therapy can help put you in a better mental and emotional place so that you can decide what you will or will not tolerate, and what you want to do next. 

You might also want to consult a lawyer to see what your options are if your partner actually does leave with the child. 

You have a lot of power, but living with someone with BPD can make it seem like you don't.  It's a matter right now of taking your power back - becoming informed and building up your emotional resiliency so that you can make choices that are best for you and your child (and your relationship, if you want), rather than just reacting to someone who isn't always emotionally stable.
40days_in_desert

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »

Welcome cowboyssuck! I would like to welcome you to the community even though I'm a Cowboys fan ;)

It can be gut wrenching to think about coming home to find your children gone. I'm sorry that you're suffering with this. I'm assuming that you are referring to your SO concerning these threats. I'm going to use "she" when referring to your SO for the ease of writing since I'm not sure. Please forgive me if I have gotten the gender wrong!
Here are a few things that may help that are not in any specific order of importance:

1) Have a support system for yourself: Therapist, friends, family and now this online community.

2) Can you assess how likely she will follow through? Has she carried out something this significant before whether to a friend, colleague or a previous ex? Does she have the means to do it such as funds, a place to stay where people will help her carry out this threat? Has she made documented claims of abuse on your part towards her or your children? Not that you have but that hasn't stopped many from making false claims.

3) Contact a lawyer to develop a contingency plan in case she does take your children.

4) Find some outlet in the form of physical exercise that you enjoy. When all of my "fun" started back in 2015, I began riding my bicycle again. I would ride up to 25 miles a day. It helped tremendously with anxiety.

5) Try and eat as healthy as possible. It does make a huge difference.

6) Try and get at least 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night. I know, easier said than done but try.

7) Try and stay away from illegal drugs and alcohol. Haven't heard one story yet where these have made any situation like this better.

8) I'm not sure where you are in your relationship. Focus on deepening your relationship with your children. They need you and it will help you too.

These are some that helped me when I felt like my mind/body and emotions were being thrown around in a blender. You may already be doing these, some or all. Just my suggestions.

On a side note... .I have a friend that won custody in our state several years ago because his then wife took off with their three children without his knowledge. He came home one day and they were all gone including the furniture. There was no documentation of abuse of any kind so it turned out to be the equivalent of her kidnapping their kids. Lot more details than that but hopefully you get my point. If your ex has made claims of abuse in written form to authorities or to others that you know of, contact a lawyer as soon as possible so you can clear these allegations. My ex never followed through with false allegations but did threaten a few times. Other people here have and they can help with advice if ever needed.

I wish you the best and please keep us updated and ask as many questions as you need or want. There are a lot of people here in your corner.

40 Days

“A rogue does not laugh in the same way that an honest man does; a hypocrite does not shed the tears of a man of good faith. All falsehood is a mask; and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always succeed in distinguishing it from the true face.”
― Alexandre Dumas
LovingDad

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:31:21 AM »

Hi cowboyssuck,

Welcome to the community.

It must be hard the her the threats constantly. I have had the same problem. My stbEx made lots of threats the last year. In the beginning they scared me I lot. But now I have found out that 'she is a barking dog that doesn't bite'. With treads they try to overpower. We are normally way to kind and rational to go along with that.

For me it helped to but a boundary on that. She accussed my mother of sexual abuse of my son. Based on nothing. I told her to press charges or stop with the threads. It took some time, but the threads finally stopped. For the last two months we still disagree and threads are made by her, but the are a lot lighter. We are now in a place where she sometimes sends a frustration text message and usuallyI simple don't give an answer.

My situation is a bit different from yours. I'm not in a relationship with my stbEx anymore. We are in the middle of a divorce.

Greetings,

LovingDad
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 06:21:33 PM »

any advice on dealing with the psychological effects of repeated threats of leaving with child?

It's been a week, please return and let us know more so we can provide more focused support.

As for the threats, my ex-spouse made similar threats when she was ranting and raging.  However, the emotional hurt was far more impacting than the legal repercussions.  Did I never see my son again?  No.  While there are some reports of a member's spouse skipping with the kids, it doesn't actually happen all that often.  That's why I said the impact is more emotional than real.

However, is your spouse does flee, then you can turn to the police (likely do little at first) and court.  Court will be more likely to act, such as consider something like a warrant or potentially a kidnapping charge, if a divorce case has already been started.  That's because the initial temp order usually states that the children cannot be removed from the area without court approval.

The reality is that the threat (bark) is common and less likely to result in follow-through (bite).  You do need to get confidential legal advice from local experienced attorneys.  I emphasize confidential... .attorneys you get consultations with (often inexpensive) cannot share your confidential information with your spouse or spouse's attorney.  The greater risk is the your spouse finds your receipts, notes or billing statements.  Or gets hold of your computer browsing history.  Or that you "confess" seeking support and options during predictable late night interrogations.

You have a right to confidentiality and privacy, especially if the marriage is dysfunctional and failing.

Please, how can we be of further help?  We've been there, done that, and not only survived but even prospered, well, more or less.  You know how hard it is to stand alone against the verbal and emotional attacks.  Peer support can stand with you, aid you and share vital skills and valuable education.  Just reach out again... .

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest