Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 12:52:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to handle anger at being ghosted  (Read 782 times)
Kittydarling

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: December 25, 2018, 05:12:57 PM »

Anyone else have trouble with being ghosted in relation to anger?
I haven't talked to my ex in two months.  At first I was super uspet and didn't understand what was going on. Then I stopped thinking about it and was ok for a while because I knew she wasn't talking to anyone.
Now im struggling again because I heard she has been talking to other people and still is ghosting me. She even bought xmas presents for a few mutual friends and had a xmas party with them. (In fairness it's just these two people she's mostly talking to and they are close friends)
Is it normal that this makes me really angry? We didn't date a really long time but I got closer to her than anyone ever has (she had never been in a real relationship before me).
Also is it normal for BPD people to specifically ghost certain people?  I feel like I'm being punished for something I didn't do.
How do you cope with this?
Red5

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 07:04:11 PM »

Hello Kittydarling,

Excerpt
*Also is it normal for BPD people to specifically ghost certain people? 

It is my understanding that the pw/BPD must always have a person to color/split black, and into this person, and upon this person, who is usually one of the pw/BPD’s closest... .// into and upon this person the pw/BPD deposits and piles on all of their inner hurt, loathing, and negative thoughts and emotions, and part of this process is the silent treatment... .which is “ghosting”.

Excerpt
*I feel like I'm being punished for something I didn't do.

I have experienced this first hand, the person whom is BPD; unfortunately revels in punishment, and punishing... .it is part of them, maybe something they experienced in childhood, it is almost like a form of self soothingly to them, the “non” in the relationship is usually the convenient target of all of this.

Excerpt
*How do you cope with this?

You must do your own self soothing, when the pw/BPD is in this mode’... .all you can do is wait them out, and too a person who engages in “normal and reasonable” thought, ie’ you and I the “non” in the relationship... .none of this even makes sense.

All part of being in a relationship with a boaderline.

Take care of yourself first, and do not depend on the pw/BPD to be able to “fulfill” you for any period of sustained time.

Hang in there Kitty, kind regards;

Red5

“We are so used to our own history, we do not see it as remarkable or out of the ordinary, whereas others might see it as horrendous. Further, we tend to minimize that which we feel shameful about.” {Quote} Patrick J. Carnes / author,
Tsultan

Relationship status: Single for 8 mos.

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 08:03:33 PM »

Hi Kittydarling,

My exBPDbf would punish me when we first started seeing each other by suddenly either taking me home or saying he had to leave suddenly for something that I said that he perceived as an insult.  He used to say I was taking a poke at him.  He really had me questioning myself at first.  He was very convincing and came across in a strong way and actually made me believe that somehow I was the one who was at fault.  At least for a couple days until I got my head screwed on straight.  It is not my nature to insult or take a poke at people and I knew it.  Things would be going fantastic for about 3 - 5 weeks or so then out of nowhere he would come up with a reason to in his words "let go" of the relationship. One time the reason was because I liked to watch Sons of Anarchy.  Yes, a fantasy t.v. show.  That one really confused me.  Then I had to try to figure out what was going on and that's how eventually I found this site.  This pattern would continue throughout the relationship. It is a painful experience so I can understand your anger.  It's a very hurtful thing to do to someone. 

He would say and do many things that would keep me in the relationship and give me hope that he was changing so that is why I hung in there for so long.  We actually went house shopping together and I he would ask me my opinion on the house and if I like it etc. I helped him move, picked out paint colors together, etc. I took a day off of work spent so many evenings cleaning the house for him because the goal was to eventually start living together. 

His final "letting go" was when I set a boundary with him after he blamed me for the reasons he would keep leaving the relationship.  He said he always left because of my anger.  Another false story.  That was 8 mos ago and he has only answered about 2 of my texts and 0 phone calls.  We ran into each other by a chance meeting a couple weeks ago and he acted like nothing ever happened.

Another character trait of BPD disorder is projection.  They can project their stuff onto the nonBPD if you let them.  I believe that is what he was doing when he accused me of being angry. 

Keep reading as much as you can about the disorder because it is only when we learn about the disorder that we can begin to forgive and then heal ourselves in the process.

You are in the right place. 

Hugs,
Tsultan
Marianne-11

Relationship status: Preparing for divorce

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 02:02:10 AM »

Hi,

I am also struggling with the same issue of how to deal with the anger and frustration of being ghosted. And on top of myself, my ex does this to our older son too. This lasts for awhile, and then he again helps with the kids almost like nothing ever happened. I am super confused. And when I notice that with some other people (who don't know he has bp) he can function better, it also confuses me more and makes me question myself and what am I doing wrong.

I also now realised that this ghosting happened right from the beginning of our relationship. He was really wonderful for good periods and moved his stuff into my apartment and then several times just took all his clothes and did not keep any contact for several days or weeks. Only to return later like nothing odd had happened. He even asked to move in with me only to cheat me right away.

I am also very familiar with this projection; him always blaming me for whatever he had done. Not trusting me even though he is the only one who has severely violet the trust. At times I could do or say nothing right no matter how understanding or supportive I was. But then there were the good times and closeness that always made me believe we had something really good.

Projecting the blame on me has made me so confused and telling to anyone has seemed like a bad choice because his behavior has been so unrational that who would've ever believed me.

Anyhow, I decided to start therapy myself next week in order to find ways to detach and stay as healthy as possible myself. This is definitely a difficult thing to detach and heal after such a difficult relationship. But I find this group and messages like yours helpful as we're not alone. And try to believe that one day moving on will become a bit easier. I wish you strength and hope it will get easier bit by bit. You are not alone.

Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 06:16:09 PM »

It is my understanding that the pw/BPD must always have a person to color/split black, and into this person, and upon this person, who is usually one of the pw/BPD’s closest... .

I can relate with your angry feelings there’s a lot of resentment that can build up in these r/s’s and when you’re split black and the pwBPD is avoidant it doesn’t give you a chance to validate your feelings.

You can’t talk to them, you can’t share why you feel hurt by their actions . I’d like to echo Tsultan read as much as you can about the disorder it is a part of the healing process to properly put the r/s into its respective and to be able to move forward without this affecting your day to day activities and r/s’s with others.

You didn’t mention if you got closure from your pwBPD could that be a partial reason why you’re angry? How did it end? Some experts say that BPD is a shamed based disorder,you eventually become a trigger to the pwBPD the terrible breaksups is a reminder to them of how dysfunctional their behaviours are and in order to avoid feeling shame they’ll avoid you.

Another way that you could look at it pwBPD split those black that they cared about most, the closeness in a r/s triggers the disorder you have to separate yourself from your expwBPD’s actions, it’s personal to you, the disorder is the cause not from an action or inaction on your part.

At times I could do or say nothing right no matter how understanding or supportive I was.

I mentioned resentment earlier and this is something that probably a lot of us can relate to.

Ill share something real quick I remember one week in particular and a lot of the r/s felt like this she would pick a fight during that week and I had no clue what the reason was for that fight then she’d pick a second and third fight so we had all of this conflict going on st the same time, distractions from the underlying problem and out of nowhere that week it was like she was floating on air with how she declaring her undying love for me, I was angry because of all of the conflict that week and I was resentful when I split white.

B’ack and white thinking, dichotomous thinking is a core criterion for the disorder it’s not synonymous with, depressives  have black and white thinking from their depression but a pwBPD can see you one way at any given time they can’t see the grey areas you’re either all good or all bad.

It’s ok to be angry it helps people with detaching from unhealthy r/s’s.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Cromwell
`

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »

Hi and welcome Kittydarling

allow yourself to experience it as the quicker route to getting over it, its fine short term its not long term, perhaps think about putting pen to paper, a letter to her that you never need to send and you are free to express yourself fully how you feel. You can keep them, re-read them another day, see how you felt, how you might feel slighly different. destroy them. Write all over again, whatever it takes. For some it works.

a small portion of the amazon rainforest is dedicated to letters to my ex that she has never read. It helped a lot. Sorry you have experienced the ghosting, it is something I went through but also have felt twice that I have had to do myself. Who knows why she did it at the time, she might even regret it but cant face the perceived shame of reversing it to reach out again. I saw my BPDx by chance many months after I ghosted her and we got back talking as if nothing had ever changed.
Coldfish

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 05:15:17 PM »

I just detach and do things for myself. I try not to put much emphasis on his actions. I just find that I really really don't care. I do things that make me happy so I don't dwell on him. I am way focused on me. He recently asked me why I was so robotic with him. How exactly would he like me to be? I guess he expects me to be all enraged, upset, or etc.

I have also learned to stop reaching out. He will come back to me ONLY when HE'S READY. The more I reach out, the longer it lasts. In my experience when you go on with your life and could care less it lasts much much shorter.

I also keep in my head about chasing him. I am not chasing no man. If he's interested he knows where to find me. If I am not interested then that's the chance you take.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest