Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 05:22:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If a non BPD read some of the stories here, could they relate to them?  (Read 434 times)
Sandb2015

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living apart, kicked out on 12/19 after meeting 3/19/2015

« on: January 10, 2019, 11:43:42 PM »

As I read and post and soak in everything that is here, I am still shocked at some of the stories and slowly I become acquainted with my story, it’s been about a week of NC and I go down for a few hours and then further down.  The wonderful, caring and gentle advice here is lifesaving, truly. I’m in limbo as I’ve never known it and there will be an end somewhere.

I would never dare show my SO this site unless she and I ended up in a better place.  What would someone with undiagnosed BPD think after reading consistent, similar stories of others.

I would imagine they could not relate in the same way when they become cruel and say the most hurtful and damaging things and “ don’t remember”.  I always wondered why my SO would know they said some terrible things and claimed to forget the details.  Does anyone think they could relate to the stories?

Just because you think it, doesn't make it true.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Weejie

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 12:05:03 AM »

I'm not sure if you are asking whether a non BPD would relate to them or a BPD.
I can certainly relate to them and it does help to know that I am not alone.
If my partner read them, I would imagine she would be horrified but would not see that she was doing the same cruel things. That seems to be her way. She is one of the first to express dismay when she hears of someone being abusive to their partner. I have known her express this and then an instant later turn on me.
Radcliff
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 12:08:38 AM »

pwBPD often do not have very good self awareness, and have a distorted sense of reality.  I would expect that many or most would not recognize that the material here is relevant to them, especially because it is written from the perspective of a "non."

I'm sorry you've experienced a week of NC.  How did that situation come to be?

RC
Sandb2015

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 12:33:18 AM »

First, I’m sorry I meant someone that hasn’t been diagnosed.

4 year relationship, abnormal behavior that I accepted, really terrible, along the lines of most stories here. I’ve been thrown out 20-25 times at the end of an episode, many episodes in between... .

12/19 blowup, I kept in contact, constant texts, pop up at her job trying to reconcile without even knowing what to reconcile, non issues. 12/24 dinner, cold but happy and I’m confused, shaky. 12/25 small gift and the same old circular conversations and says she can’t do this, I ruined her life, extreme devaluation, worst than the usual.  Total love, connection, crying in each other’s arms on 12/31, 1/1 same thing, 1/2 she can’t do this, I don’t love you, give up because I moved on already. That night cold as ice, had dinner, same comments, move on, I don’t love you and I moved on already.  1/3 her birthday dinner, acted like I was the enemy, cold and for the first time outside in public, had an episode and started getting cruel and saying the weirdest things so different than before and devaluing me in the cruelest way.  We left before desert and she drove home and that was that.  This time is so different from before, one or two days tops with some communication.  No response to any very simple texts and haven’t been blocked which is strange.

What has happened to me

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 04:05:27 PM »

That sounds exhausting.  It's tough when the relationship goes farther south than it has in the past.  I'm sorry you had to deal with all of that over the holidays.  What are your thoughts about where you would hope to go with the relationship now?  If she contacted you again, what would you do?

RC
Sandb2015

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 04:39:48 PM »

I'm broken beyond words and I post here to cope, get advice, empathize with others here.

I'm a strategic thinker, I wax philosophical to balance things, my discussions always end up in the abstract where I thrive, not everyone, fairly few venture with me. I'm hopelessly positive and I feel void of anything good, positive or even when I'm distracted, amused.  That is coming from a person that can find humor in falling down the stairs, breaking my foot and making fun of the direction my toes ended up pointing as I manually put them back straight.

I can be very literal at times just to make a point.

I would run to her holding all the virtual pamphlets of info I've gotten here and never let her go.

This time apart... .I know I have to have learned something here, I hope if she reaches out, it's with the same idea that she has needed time also and used it constructively.  If she does reach out, I'm trying everything to not reach out to her, we must try some counseling together as a start and see how it goes.

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 04:47:33 PM »

What you are experiencing sounds similar to what I experienced at the beginning of my BPD relationship.  We would break up, then come back together and cling to each other for dear life.  There is a good chance you'll have an opportunity to reconnect with her.  If that happens, you'll need to be flexible, as well as mindful.  It's not that likely that she'll be excited about counseling.  I wouldn't suggest that in the beginning.

When you come together with her intensely, it's a combination of what she's bringing to the relationship from her past, and what you are.  What factors do you think are influencing your approach to the relationship?

RC
Sandb2015

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 05:09:11 PM »

Can you specify that last question?

Sandb2015

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 06:26:29 PM »

I'll try to interpret, I see the potential only because I see her struggles now as I look back, she was struggling.  She was struggling for herself and us, I really do believe that.  I look back and there was some horrible things I won't take personally, I did.  I did not have to, I was being overly sensitive and could not distinguish and separate me and her.

I have undying love for her, she's wonderful and has shown me such love and emotion between the episodes, I see that as who she is and the episodes and blowups as the disease.

I won't start with ultimatums, I won't start with anything other than her knowing I don't want her to feel bad, I won't abandon her and I will react different.  I'm EXTREMELY patient and EXTREMELY analytical and I used those thing to analyze and "lecture"--fix the logic with a hammer (me) that is made to chip away at a mountain, I have that type of will in helping her and I did it wrong, I need to help myself and my reactions, shouldn't be a zoning in with my emotions because that triggers myself and water becomes gasoline to her or her disease. I spun her out so many times, she started with the circular logic and I turned it into an octagon.

I could talk a elephant into becoming a mouse under the right circumstance, I'm persuasive, not manipulative.

I have to be cautions, I've read so much here and elsewhere.  This board is a sunny balcony on a dry day with large windows and white curtains.  I find the opposite elsewhere.  I'm devastated now and I remain positive about being together differently, better.  I read success stories and stories from people that suffer from BPD and it's absolutely heartwarming and beautiful and I have hope that is us later.

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 11:27:48 PM »

It sounds like you are starting to see how your earlier style of being logical and trying to lecture her didn't work for her.  Have you seen this page on learning not to “justify, argue, defend, or explain” (JADE)?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest