Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 05:05:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I put up with too much for too long  (Read 370 times)
MeandThee29

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: January 13, 2019, 11:20:17 AM »

Mod note: This discussion was split from this thread: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=333148.0

I put up with too much for too long. I was in denial despite hearing the truth from a therapist I was secretly seeing. She was the only one I confided in. I was truly an enabler though.

One of my young adults has psychological issues because of the years of turmoil and hypocrisy, and it's been a long slow road for me and my other young adult. I encourage myself in the fact that we have come a long way and are on the right path. None of us are substance abusers, and all are doing well with school and work. My melt-down days are few and far between.

He talked about leaving for over a decade, but no one around us knew. His suicide attempt woke up everyone who knows us, and then when he left again, it was clear without saying a thing that we had a very troubled relationship. I've chosen not to talk about it with other than a small handful of people.

That said, I don't live in the past. Our situation is tough at times (low income), and I am probably facing a bitter divorce in 2019 not initiated by me. There is much good in our lives though. We have food on the table and a roof over our heads in a safe neighborhood. We've learned a lot of life lessons. We have friends who love us and are there for us 24/7.

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

Relationship status: Dissolved

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »

Thanks for joining in, M&T29. I think that many of us here put up with too much for too long. It never fails to astound me how many of the members here were able to last so long in some of their relationships. Decades! I was only with S4’s mom for four years. And that was on/off. Though, not all, most of my relationships have ended up being dysfunctional. I really yearn to know what it’s like to be in a “normal” relationship. Boring almost sounds attractive to me.  No kidding!

I admire what you’ve done and what you’re doing. Also, bringing it here is a big help to everyone. Even the lurkers. We see you! Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

I imagine that the divorce has you somewhat anxious. That’s understandable. It will arrive and you’ll get through it. You’re a strong person.

You know, money is money. I could go into my thoughts about money further, but this isn’t a philosophical forum, for the most part, so I’ll stay on point with this. As you said, you provide a roof in a safe area, food and the necessary things for you and your family. You should be proud of yourself for that. In my estimation your head should be held high with your shoulders postured back because you’re rocking at life. (Insert high 5 emoji here). I was debt free, had a 750 credit score and was making good money when I met S4’s mom. I’ve since filed bankruptcy and I live in a glorified apartment (a townhouse with upstairs neighbors that apparently have very heavy feet). That’s what it is for me right now. It’s ok. I have a cozy place to spend time with my son. Lack of money and things like that doesn’t mean that he and I will stop making memories together. It doesn’t mean that I stop doing my damndest to try to teach him what values and virtues are. If anything, maybe these things are best taught with a slice of humble pie.

My parents had money. Corvettes, Cadillacs and sis and I were showered in gifts. Christmas morning was crazy. What my parents didn’t have was good character. In fact, they were sick abusive monsters. I’ll take less material for more love, nurturing and warmth any day. You’re doing a great job M&T29

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 08:37:56 PM »

Hi MeandThee29,

Quote from: MeandThee29
He talked about leaving for over a decade, but no one around us knew. His suicide attempt woke up everyone who knows us, and then when he left again, it was clear without saying a thing that we had a very troubled relationship. I've chosen not to talk about it with other than a small handful of people.

It’s hard to see what’s really going when you’re in the thick of it. It’s not easy when your self worth and self esteem are really low in the r/s and a pwBPD can cause a lot of distractions.

It’s easier to see things for what they once that you’ve spent some time out of the r/s and away from the other person. We also call it FOG the FOG slowly lifts after the breakup and you can start seeing the forest for the trees.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Lucky Jim

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »

Excerpt
I put up with too much for too long.

Join the club, M&T29!  Most of us Nons, including me, have done the same thing.

Excerpt
I encourage myself in the fact that we have come a long way and are on the right path.

I admire your courage M&T.  Yes, you are on the right path.  I'm here to confirm that it's possible to find greater happiness after leaving a BPD r/s, which is what it's all about in my view.

LuckyJIm

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest