Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 02:37:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the NEABPD Family Connections worthwhile?  (Read 435 times)
Doughboy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 17, 2019, 06:26:41 PM »

https://www.borderlinepersonalitydisorder.org/family-connections/

I had signed up for their wait list for the telecommunications program when I was still with the Ex.  Today I received and email saying they were doing a 2 day intensive in a town close to me and I was able to register if I was still interested.

Seems like the program is geared more toward blood families more than relationship connections.  I have said in numerous places that I am sure she is 100% done after 4 tries and the smear campaign put on me.  I have also said I am done for the same reasons.  BUT, I know I may not be depending on the situation, she did finally get 6 weeks of DBT, and the information does look interesting and informative.

Does anyone have any current thoughts or opinions on the program that could help me decide if it is worth burning a full Sat & Sun?

Thanks in advance
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 06:46:26 PM »

It's a good program.  It is geared toward blood families. It would help you if you are in a relationship with someone with BPD traits.

It's hard to get in. Courses are far and few.  You are fortunate.

Doughboy

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 09:48:36 PM »

Yes they are are in most of the country. I am guessing that enough people "signed up" for the teleconference version in the region to justify the intensive weekend.  I was suprised that they only ask for a donation, suggested $60. That seems SO low!

I think I am going to do it since it is a rare opportunity. As I said, she is gone now but will probably pop back up. Might be helpful if I am weak at that point.  If nothing else I am sure that I, personally, will learn a few things that I will be able to apply to all my relationships, etc.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 10:31:36 PM »

Could you share what you learn? Even If geared towards family,  non romantic,  it sounds helpful. 

Even in the Bay Area (San Francisco, silicon valley) where I am, with 6 million people around the greater bay area,  programs like this are few and far between. 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Doughboy

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 11:10:38 PM »

I will absolutely share. It is not until mid May but that is closer than it seems.

I plan to scour their website before going so that I can be as prepared as possible.

Already have my lodging covered...and that is a story that makes me cringe. My dog sitting is covered. Having a decent support system is invaluable.  Also not having to hide where I am going to that system is refreshing.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 11:16:04 PM »

Having a decent support system is invaluable.  Also not having to hide where I am going to that system is refreshing.

This, definitely, and I'm glad you have it. 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Doughboy

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 11:30:28 PM »

Yes!
Even though they are all pretty pleased we are no longer together right now they all accept my need for knowledge and also understand that if there is the possibility of another attempt I will have a decent list of boundrys and must haves that need to happen to consider it.

If nothing else, over these 4 cycles, I have learned to manage my codependent tendencies and I have learned to stand up for myself. Both things were a large factor, imo, on the last break up but that is not necessarily a bad thing.  I have made tremendous growth. I have noticed it, my ex-wife (who is a best friend and confidant...which I know sounds weird, ) has noticed it, as have a few friends.

So sometimes, even though it is not exactly what we hoped for, these relationships with people that have BPD or just traits can be an opportunity for us to become better people!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest