Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 09:37:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sibling with DBT came to visit  (Read 368 times)
threebirds
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« on: March 25, 2019, 06:48:27 PM »

Hi,

I have an adult sibling with BPD who just came to visit me for about five days.  They are in their first round of DBT treatment.  I feel so tired from their time here and like we had a very hard time connecting throughout the trip.  I've been working on reducing my codependency in therapy as well, so I am sure this played a factor in how the visit felt.  I'm  wondering: how do you balance an honest portrayal of yourself while also adjusting the needs of your family member with BPD?
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:14:49 PM »

Welcome threebirdsWelcome new member (click to insert in post)

Wow! You must be so tired! Ask any of us here who has a pwBPD in our life and we will be totally able to relate to the whole fatigue issue! I remember when my uBPDm visited, how exhausted I'd get. I was tired before, during, and after the visit. I think it takes so much emotional energy to maintain boundaries and our own healthy place/space when they come. We can only hold that place for so long before we can no longer do it.

I'm very glad to hear that she is in DBT, and also that you were doing your best to be honest with yourself and yet still love her-from a distance that was safe. Remember that you are learning a new dance, in changing the way you interact, and it is no surprise to me that you are tired and that it will take time to learn those new steps. Learning something new is not an easy process for us to be patient with. We want to be done learning it quickly, but with time, you will certainly be there. Hang on!

Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 10:52:31 PM »

What do you see as an honest portrayal of yourself? Feeling safe to voice your opinions without having someone jump down your throat and invalidate you?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Zabava

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 03:16:44 PM »

Hi threebirds,

I can totally relate to what you're saying.  I also feel exhausted before, during and after visits from uBPD mum and sister.  I think that when we live a distance away we are able to be ourselves most of the time and it's hard to put the mask  back on when they come.

Is your sibling threatened by you being your own person and having a life that doesn't involve them? 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest