Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 07:15:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad about the truck engine  (Read 407 times)
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: May 24, 2019, 10:32:27 AM »

A bit of a down day here.  Nothing to do with BPD..but still felt like posting here with you guys.

Just got back from the machine shop.  I showed them lots of pictures of what happened to the engine when my head gasket blew.  Basically missing metal there the fire went from one cylinder to the next.

It's an older chevy plow truck that was an extra vehicle for us.  Lots of memories and stories and neat things we did with it, especially back when we lived on the farm.

I've bought and sold many vehicles over my life...but I've never taken one to the junkyard.  I'm pretty sure this is what's going to happen with this vehicle.

I actually was driving it to an auction a year or so ago and as I pulled out of the driveway the distributor literally fell apart.  That "signal" from the truck that it didn't want to be sold (I get it that might seem weird to some) set me on the course of trying to fix up the truck some and get it running better.

While I do have a bit of an odd emotional attachment to this vehicle...most of my vehicles I also realize that dumping a bunch of money in it is unwise.  I was willing to spend $50 for the head gasket set and head bolts...and of course my time.

Anyway...

FF

GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 12:02:04 PM »

I thought I might need to hold a funeral when I said goodbye to an 8-cyl, 4 barrel '67 Mustang -- good fastback with black racing stripes. Hurt so bad -- so many memories!

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 12:31:47 PM »

I kept an old but safe car for many years, with the intention of the kids having it to drive when they got their license. It eventually came to the end of its time. It did feel like a loss since we had it so long. I didn't get attached to other cars but we had this one the longest.
Red5

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 12:34:43 PM »

Excerpt
It's an older chevy plow truck that was an extra vehicle for us.  Lots of memories and stories and neat things we did with it, especially back when we lived on the farm.

What year is it Formflier?

I remember my very first vehicle… it was a 1980 Chevy, custom deluxe, fleet side, short bed, with a "straight six"… it was an automatic, although I wanted "three on the tree"… I put chrome rims and street tires on it (watermelon and tobacco $)… and a front and rear (step) bumper, when I traded it in, it had an eight track player in it (spring 1983)… I had put a CB radio in it, and it had one of those "whip antennas"… with a short length of water hose on it so it wouldn't smack against the cab… it was a second hand basic truck… I had payed it off… when I traded it in on that 1984 Z28 Camaro… five speed 305, 4 brl carburetor… I drove that car for 23 years!… and I sold it to a dude that wanted to "restore it"… back in 2006.

Yes, we do get attached to our vehicles… I sometimes wonder what if anything is left of that old pickup…

All these years later, I became an SUV man, couple of Blazers, a Tahoe, and now two Jeeps… but several years ago, I got it in my head that I wanted a pickup, not a new one… a used one, just to have a truck around… to haul off things ot the dump, and back form Lowes' etc… and to pull my boat… so to ensure I didn't buy a rust bucket... my wife got involved … and I found a 2006 (well my wife found)… a nice used high mileage Silverado 4x4 crewcab, it was lifted, and had great big tires on it, think of the old Lee Major's TV show "The Fall Guy"… it was loaded, leather, cd player, heated arse warmers and all the "bells and whistle's"… it was a "sight to see" !

Seems some young Marine had gotten himself married, and then a baby on the way .. and the wife (his) said, you got to get rid of that thing .. and get me an "grocery getter"… so Red5 swooped and grabbed it up, it wasn't even out on the lot yet… down at the "Kia" place in New Bern…

I remember the wife saying… "its got dents, and I think its overpriced"… and that "you should shop around"… "its got too many miles on it"...

Keep in mind she is the one who spotted it…

I fell instantly and deeply in in love with this truck… and I told her… "I'm done shopping"… "I'm buying this truck!"… "and that's that!"…

She didn't speak to me for a week  !…

That was back in 2013, I paid it off last winter… its still a strong truck… I named it "Thor" : )

Thor has hauled all manner of cargos, and pulled many thousand of pounds of "what ever" in the trailer… it even served valiantly in the hurricane relief efforts round here last September…

Every Saturday, me and the boy, load up Thor with the weeks recycle, and trash, and down to the county dump we go : )

Yes, "you need a good old truck around" !

Sorry for your beloved old truck breaking down Formflier… maybe there is a magic junkyard somewhere, with the right parts (replacement engine +) so that you can get it back into commission again…

Red5
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 12:43:11 PM by Red5 » Logged

“We are so used to our own history, we do not see it as remarkable or out of the ordinary, whereas others might see it as horrendous. Further, we tend to minimize that which we feel shameful about.” {Quote} Patrick J. Carnes / author,
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 01:00:03 PM »

1989 K2500 5.7L ext cab 6 foot bed.

I bought it in 2010 at a farm retirement auction for 2 grand...and it had a 1 year old plow.  The guy had spent just over $5 grand the year before putting on the plow.

My oldest thought he was the coolest kid ever driving a plow truck (with the plow on it..of course) to high school.  Everyone knew him because (well because of a lot of things)...but he was only high schooler driving a plow truck.

Sigh...thanks for support guys.  I'll write more later.

FF

Red5

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »

Excerpt
My oldest thought he was the coolest kid ever driving a plow truck (with the plow on it..of course) to high school.  Everyone knew him because (well because of a lot of things)...but he was only high schooler driving a plow truck.

That's Awesome   !

Red5

“We are so used to our own history, we do not see it as remarkable or out of the ordinary, whereas others might see it as horrendous. Further, we tend to minimize that which we feel shameful about.” {Quote} Patrick J. Carnes / author,
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 03:22:44 PM »

All these years later, I became an SUV man

After wearing out two minivans we bought new and we were heading way up north to 4x4 country I decided to get my first (and only) SUV.

I grabbed a used 1999 3/4 ton GMC suburban with the 6.5L diesel.  Last year they put a diesel in.  Awesome vehicle.  We still have it.  A bit of a maintenance hog...but it looks great.

I think the weekend will be spent figuring out how to move the plow from the 1989 to the 2005 Duramax pickup.  Then...the old truck will be hauled to "truck heaven".  I talked to them today and they said I should get about $225 for it.

Sigh...

FF

AskingWhy

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 12:18:40 AM »

Cars, like other objects in our lives, are laden with meaning.

It is hard to see an old car live out its service life.  Objects break down and fall apart.

One can get philosophical over this.  All life is in a form of change.  Sometimes we have to let things go from relationships to old items.

Entropy, if you will. 

In some Asian countries, things like old knives and old scissors are given "ceremonies" and thanked for their years of service. 
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 09:01:14 AM »

Towed the old truck to truck heaven yesterday.

Since the tires were almost new..I retained those and will use on different vehicle.  When  those were off a big forklift came over and took the plow truck away.

On a related note.  For real...couple years ago as I pulled out of the driveway the distributor fell apart as I was going to an auction.

Yesterday I was going to roll it out in the street to be easier for the tow truck driver to hook up to.

The key wouldn't rotate forward to unlock the wheel or let us go out of park.  Yes...my mind went there...the truck didn't want to go...

Tow truck driver backed up to the rear of truck in driveway..scooped it up and off the truck went.

As so as I hit "post"...I'm heading out to the auto auction.  Nothing to help get over sadness like getting a "new to me truck".

There is a 99 dually that I'm going to be checking out today.  Since I "only" have one truck that call pull the goosneck horse trailer...I should probably have a backup...don't you think?   

Best,

FF

GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 12:23:48 PM »

Absolutely! Go for it.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
Red5

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 06:53:08 PM »

Yes!... as a Navy Man... brown shoe type model series... we absolutely know in order to ensure the flight schedule is executed... we need a “turning spare” on the flight deck!... ready in all respects to take the place of a downer player...

Hmmm, a ”dually” eh’ ?

The first young lady I seriously cohabited with in high school rode horses in the rodeo... she drove a “dually”... I think it was a 1980 something Ford... yes... she took something from me she can never give back : )

There is a “sea story” here... but for another day (grinning emoji)

Yeah... go and “cut one outa the heard”... you need a back-up Skipper!

Red5 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest