Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 12:53:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD and therapy  (Read 390 times)
beatup

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling
Relationship status: married

Mean People Suck

« on: July 23, 2019, 02:36:13 PM »

Hello to All,
    I have a question...
    Has your BPD person agreed to therapy with or without you?
    What was the result?

beatup
Onward....Through the Fog
No-One

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 04:08:02 PM »

Hi Beatup:

uBPD Sibling: No therapy that I'm aware of.  Their position is: "Nothing wrong with me!"

Me: I went to therapy alone.  That's where I discovered that my sibling was exhibiting strong BPD traits.

Possible Joint Therapy?: I broached this subject with my therapist multiple times.  The last and final time I asked, she told me that she honestly didn't think I'd get the outcome I would hope for.  She said that she couldn't be the therapist, since she was seeing me.  Secondly, she shared an honest opinion from observing situations from another therapist in her office that sees couples.  She said it doesn't take long before  one person feel picked on and decides to quit participating.

I think it boils down to the fact that unless the person with BPD or strong traits can open up and  admit they are at least part of the problem, you can invest a lot of money with little benefit.

beatup

Mean People Suck

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 08:02:26 PM »

Thank u No-One,
    My therapist told me the same thing as yours did but I did try. ubpd sis set up appointment for us with her therapist & then sis bailed out just b4 appointment. I tried again a year later & sis agreed again then picked a fight with me just b4 appointment. I guess she never intended to go at all...just wanted to engage in some way.

beatup
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 11:47:16 PM »

Therapy may or may not help reduce conflict, but a joint therapy rubric isn't going to "fix" either person's underlying personality traits,  especially those of a personality disorder. 

My mother forced me into family therapy when I was 13, thereafter abandoning me after one joint session where she jumped down my throat (from my point of view). If she had just sent me to therapy by myself rather than abandoning me, I would have resented her less.

30 years later, my ex did the same thing, though it was foreshadowed 4 years earlier when she tried to send me to a couples' communication class by myself. 

Projection has been my experience, as if I were 100% the problem. 

My mother is Dx: Depression, PTSD, Anxiety, and a hinted diagnosis of BPD (my mom told me she had it). My ex is Dx: Depression and Anxiety. Her BPD traits are my arm chair observations. 

Me? Cleared by the therapist when I was 13 (though my mom didn't tell me that until I was in my late 30s), and the couples' counselor,  a PschD, cleared me of anything other than temporary Anxiety. I spent over $10k on him.  He could have kept stringing me along, but at one point he basically asked me,  "why are you still here?"

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
beatup

Mean People Suck

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 11:13:34 AM »

Wow! It seems common that we spend our time & $$ on therapy. At least we come away with a better understanding.
Funny(?) that my ubpd sis admitted to a lie 30 yrs. later...similar to your Mom keeping info from you for 30 yrs.
thanks for your reply...it is helpful in my quest to "let go"

beatup
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest