Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 10:03:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have hope?  (Read 336 times)
Pemi23

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 18, 2019, 07:05:10 PM »

Has anyone had their significant other get treatment (such as DBT) for borderline personality disorder or related symptoms  and seen improvement? I’m looking for something that can give me some hope that things will get better.  He’s not in treatment yet but we are inching our way there.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Gemsforeyes

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Ended 2/2020

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 11:55:47 AM »

Dear Pemi23-

I’m sorry you’re having such a difficult time.  I just read through your brief history on our boards here.

I’ve been active here since about May 2017, when I googled the phrase “unprovoked rage in men” ... that was 3.5 years into my relationship with my BF.  My uBPDbf.  A roller coaster of a relationship, as you well know.  We’re older- both 61 now.  Numerous threats to break up (I’d normally just let him leave) and then he’d wait for me to “forgive and forget” his childish, but very cruel behavior.  And I have always forgiven him.  And once I learned what lies behind his behavior, I changed ME.  That helped.  The dynamic between US changed.  And he did eventually go to therapy, although I’m not certain how long that lasted.  He’s about to go back to deal with another issue.

Here’s the thing, Pemi - He’s a good man.  If he wasn’t, I would NOT stay with him.  My exH was NOT a good man.  He was filled with intentional cruelty.  My uBPBbf is not.

One time a while ago, following a particularly bad rage when he was very calm... I asked him if he’d gotten that angry at others in his past or if *I* just bring out this rage in him.  And he said he has done that to “Everyone”... I said, “I’m so sorry, I’m sure that must hurt in your body when that happens.”  It was a good talk.

What I believe has REALLY helped us during this period is that he has finally... finally...seen anger from me.  He did something and I lost it.  I blew up at him in a reaction.  He thought we would reunite as usual, but I told him I was going to therapy to work on “anger issues”.  And that was mostly true.  I was angry at myself, for what I had endured during my marriage.  And at the fact that I had allowed myself to be emotionally abused AGAIN by my uBPDbf. I knew there was underlying depression for YEARS... and anxiety.  And it had to stop.

So I started using the communication tools again.  I lead US.  I watch his face.  I am very specific in my communication with him.  When I say I watch his face... here is an example - we were having a talk about something.  I got teary-eyed.  I could see he was about to escalate and call me an idiot for becoming emotional.  So I put my arms out and said “the appropriate response to tears is hugging”.  He reached for me and hugged me.  No escalation.  All from watching his face.

It sounds like your H has some awareness, correct?  If your H is not yet ready for therapy, then YOU go.  Get help for yourself.  I really believe that if he sees YOU doing something, he will respond.

When he speaks, really listen to what he’s saying.  When mine has intense things to say, I make sure we sit down to discuss them, so he can see I’m focused.  I limit my questions so I don’t escalate.  Maybe give this a try?

I know with my uBPDbf so much about his illness is about control, the way he was physically abused and controlled by his parents.  And still is emotionally manipulated by his mother.    Such a fine line to walk.

What do you know and understand of your H’s history?  And how your own background does a dance with your beloved husband’s... There’s is nothing about this that’s simple.  But the love between you can be real.  He just needs to know that YOU are the one he can trust.  In my case, it’s all about the trust.

I don’t know that we’ll stay lovers forever, but we will remain friends.

Please keep posting.

Warmly,
Gemsforeyes
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest