Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 02:04:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hearing Was Pretty Hard: Who'd Have Thought Lawyers Could Lie?  (Read 413 times)
toomanydogs

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Living Apart

« on: August 16, 2019, 08:09:00 AM »

I'm in bad shape this morning. I woke up at 3, and it's now a little before 7.

I have C-PTSD, and it has been triggered big time by this divorce. Bad enough I had to see my STBX yesterday, but I had to listen to the lawyer for my father-in-law portray me as a money-grubbing gold digger, who has no incentive to settle (which totally ignores what my FIL is asking of me), and I had to listen to my STBX's lawyer actually lie about me, maintaining that I had a $35,000 Money Market account that I could use to pay for the divorce.

My current lawyer wants me to concur with her getting off the case, which will then leave me with no lawyer and no way to hire one. What kind of lawyer is going to want to litigate if I can't pay?

I'm not even thinking straight right now. I know when the PTSD is kicking in because I can't sleep and I forget to eat.

My STBX's lawyer started yelling at me outside the courthouse,
telling me I could walk away today with a check for $X,XXX,XXX:
"Why won't you just settle? Take the check and stop blogging about them (FIL and all his unnamed family members)"

I screamed back at her that the FIL wanted a non-disparagement clause that covered all his  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) family members. "No," I screamed. "No. Non disparagement."

Luckily, I had a friend with me who pulled me away.

But now? Here's where I'm at. I can settle and agree not to write my own  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) story,  which will kill me (I mean that literally. Writing is how I stay sane and grounded, and I'm good at it, and the way I'm looking at this is my FIL wants to take that from me.). Or what I can do is not settle and represent myself against people who are so friggin' rich they have their own foundation, so rich they buy million dollar homes for cash. How in the world can I represent myself against that kind of money?

Settling for the prenup is not an option because they are still requiring the non-disparagement.

Like I said, I've been triggered, and I feel like I'm dying.

TMD

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world... Einstein
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 08:25:57 AM »

That sounds like a pretty awful morning. 

Did the judge make a ruling on whether funds could be advanced to pay the new lawyer?  Does the prenup mention an NDA, or have they just tacked that on to the end?
toomanydogs

Relationship status: Living Apart

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 08:33:57 AM »

Did the judge make a ruling on whether funds could be advanced to pay the new lawyer?  Does the prenup mention an NDA, or have they just tacked that on to the end?
the hearing officer ruled that the trust (FIL) was not part of the divorce and therefore could not be forced to advance attorney fees.

but my L had requested fees from both FIL & STBX, and there was no mention of requiring STBX to pay.

the prenup does not mention an NDA (I'm okay with NDA just not the non-disparagement because it's not a term that's well defined)

TMD

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world... Einstein
MeandThee29

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 09:09:13 AM »

Oh my, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I can't image how hard this is for you.

I fear court too, having seen how the two lawyers interact. I have full confidence in mine, thankfully. But his lawyer and the whole process. It would derail me for weeks, I'm sure.

Thankfully it's looking more hopeful for me.
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 09:18:33 PM »

Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Hoping you can get some sleep!

Best,

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest