Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 05, 2024, 06:43:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Part 3 Friends playing rescuer  (Read 802 times)
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2019, 12:49:35 PM »

I don't think you should do the work.

You've done it before.

Wait until she shows signs (who knows what that will be) that this time is different than the umpteen other times she has "cried wolf".

Don't save her from the effects of "crying wolf".

Best,

FF

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2019, 02:16:30 PM »

Hi Cat,

What do you think your experience would have been if your parents had divorced and you'd have stayed with your Mother?

Also, was you Dad happy?

I think my dad would have fought for custody. There was a time when both parents were trying to win my approval, asking me which parent I liked better.  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

My mom, when she was in a good mood, could be quite lovely. It wasn't until my teenage years that her BPD became so overwhelming--probably coincided with menopause.

My dad was emotionally self-sufficient, much like how I am. He made the best of whatever circumstance he was in.

Together they were like oil and water. Over the years, my dad retreated further and further from her.

Watching the dynamic between the two of them gave me a skewed template for what a marriage is. I believe that led me to tolerate horrible behavior from my husband in my first marriage, thinking that I'd made a commitment and I just had to see it through.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
ct21218

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2019, 02:49:30 PM »

Cat, I see the same things in this that you do.  I worry that the example being set is that you have to stay in a marriage no matter how abusive. 

Enabler, what would your advice be if your daughter was with someone who actively cheated on her and had no intention of stopping?
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »

Staff only This thread has reached its maximum length and is now locked. The conversation continues here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=339773.0

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest