Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:01:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My beautiful chaos  (Read 345 times)
GoldenA
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Step mother

« on: November 09, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »

I have a beautiful  step daughter, 17 years of age, who is thoughtful, compassionate, giving, smart and who's smile lights up a room. This same beautiful girl is full of rage and hate. She is explosive. She is irrational and impulsive. When she doesn't get her way she sets out to destroy. She flings accusations. Accusations that could destroy with no regard who she hurts. She is the master manipulator. We love her and we fear her.

Her father and I  feel helpless and are at a loss on how to help her into adult hood. She has been in/ out of hospitalization was recently discharged from an RTF where she was in placement for 14 months. Her father and I don't feel safe having her in our home, I have another child who is only 11 and I have to protect him from this chaos.

I feel overwhelmed and alone and at a loss. How do we support her and protect our family from her.

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 03:16:44 PM »

Hello A
Welcome to the group. I am glad you found us and sorry for what brings you here. Having a child or stepchild with BPD is a tough situation. We all get it! You asked specifically about how to keep your family safe. May I ask what it is you fear? Is your stepdaughter physically violent, emotionally abusive, or both? Different tactics apply to different scenarios. Please share anything at all you feel comfortable sharing. We are all here to listen and learn together.
Hugs
Faith
Lulu808

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 05:27:11 PM »

Welcome GoldenA. Sadly I am familiar with what you are dealing with - my beautiful, amazing daughter has had BPD for a very long time and we had no idea what we were dealing with even though she was in psychiatric care. They kept saying it was adhd. The raging is very scary - especially when it is out of control and there’s no rhyme or reason behind it. I am learning to be less sensitive to the abusive behavior but it has been really hard to handle - I’m not used to having someone screaming at me and calling me out on everything I say constantly and our encounters leave me shaken and frazzled. I started keeping a journal of her episodes and began seeing patterns to what triggered her rages. With my daughter I noticed that if she has low blood sugar from not eating or if we bring up certain subjects it sets her off. So we avoid them. I am determined to help her get into DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) to help her get under control. Your 11 year old will be able to understand if you let him know that his sister is ill and what to expect ahead of time. I’m so sorry for all you are going through. You are not alone!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest