Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 10:23:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally started therapy - necklace  (Read 388 times)
TigerJuice
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: estranged

« on: December 04, 2019, 02:27:32 PM »

I started therapy a few months ago, to help me with my role as a mother, to help my kids. I knew I wasn't being the best I could around them.

I'm now digging into the real stuff. My parents. Their lies my whole life. Their continued lies to make themselves look better to me and the outside world. The devaluation. It always seems to come up with me around the holidays, probably because of past gifts and current communications.

I always received "the dregs" gifts, while my siblings get/got the most expensive brand names, etc. There was no attempt at hiding inequities. I was always told "That's not who you are. You'd be uncomfortable with something so nice." But the real message was, "we think more of your siblings. They deserve more. We love them more." 

My siblings were gifted nicer family heirlooms as we got older as well, the engagement ring, the china, furniture. While I was handed things my mother didn't want anymore, or had literally broken.

I have pearl "bracelets" that she sent my girls a few years ago. She wrote a long letter about how she had been holding on to the bracelets until my girls were older and could appreciate them... The "bracelets" are actually a single necklace. It has clearly been broken. It wasn't broken in even pieces. They are both too small to even be worn as bracelets on a teenager sized wrist. I remember the antique style clasp still on one "bracelet" from my childhood. (It was my mother's necklace.) The other one has been fitted with a cheap hobby store clasp, tied on with thread.

It is so obvious to anyone who looks at it. But they lie so often and think I am so stupid that I'll accept it. Sometimes I think I should mail it back with a note, asking why they think so little of me as to lie. I don't care that it's broken. I care that she lied. And other times I think I should bother acknowledging their behavior. My siblings will just see me as ungrateful, and I'm overly sensitive.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. At least someone is listening to me now and validating it.
TelHill
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 06:23:41 PM »

Welcome new member (click to insert in post) Hi & welcome!

My dBPD mom and dad show their displeasure with me this way too. I am the one painted black (scapegoat) and my older sibling is the one painted white (golden child).

My older sibling was given all the family heirlooms recently.  I received nothing. I only noticed since I moved in pt w/my elderly parents a few years ago, that my older sibling would get more money than me.(My parents give money as opposed to a sweater or pjs for the holidays.) Dad tries to hide it in a clumsy way, so I do see.

Like you, it's not the material things that matter. It's the dysfunction of my FOO with my mom's bpd being the tip of the iceberg.

I am sorry your children received that chopped up necklace as a bracelet. I'm sure that hurt them.

Yes, we do get it and understand. Hope you can share more of your story when you have a chance. Glad you found this group.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest