Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 09:28:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mommy issues  (Read 439 times)
midnightchurch

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: February 06, 2020, 01:27:17 PM »

Hello. I believe my mom has BPD. Although she has never been officially diagnosed (she refuses to get therapy), she has always been challenging to deal with, and her relationships are often unstable. I am an adult in my 40's, so over the years, I have learned how to deal with her by setting up proper boundaries (lots of therapy helps too  Smiling (click to insert in post) and not falling into her "traps." So next year, my cousin (his dad is my mom's brother...so my uncle) is having a destination wedding. Close friends and family are invited...sounds fantastic, except for one thing...my uncle and my mom are not speaking. Besides, my cousin (the groom) and my mom had a falling out because my mom wrote something on Facebook about her and my uncle's rocky relationship (she told me she didn't realize that when you comment on a post, it is public...eye roll inserted). My cousin confronted my mom, and the rest is history...another relationship ruined.
My husband and I are so excited to attend the wedding. I try so hard not to get involved in family drama, and to be quite honest...we will have a much better time if my mom does not attend. She seems to ruin everything. I have vowed never to go on vacation with her after she has ruined multiple family vacations in the past.
I told my mom we are attending, and she didn't seem to be that upset about it. However, it is still a year away, and I am sure as it gets closer, that may change. Thoughts on how to hand this? I keep thinking this is not my circus nor my monkeys   Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)
Thanks
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 07:48:39 PM »

My husband and I are so excited to attend the wedding. I try so hard not to get involved in family drama, and to be quite honest...we will have a much better time if my mom does not attend. . .I told my mom we are attending, and she didn't seem to be that upset about it. However, it is still a year away, and I am sure as it gets closer, that may change. Thoughts on how to hand this? I keep thinking this is not my circus nor my monkeys   Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)
Hi midnightchurch:
I'm sorry about the situation with your mom. 

You nailed it - Not your circus, Not your monkeys!  Stay out of the drama triangle & resist any urge to become a rescuer.

Be strong with enforcing a boundary with your mom & others.  Don't have further discussions with your mom about the wedding.  Set a boundary to NOT discuss the issues with your mom or other relatives.

Continue to look forward to the wedding.  You mom won't likely mend all the fences needed for her to attend. 
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 11:59:16 PM »

Attend the wedding. Your invite has nothing to do with your mom's disinvite or drama. Their conflict is between them.  You don't need to fix issues between other adults.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest