Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 06:33:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some unexpected deep reflection.  (Read 368 times)
Imatter33

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: March 31, 2020, 10:17:01 PM »

Boundaries in place do not cure my mom of dysregulation.

No contact protects me from my mother trying to use me as her cure for dysregulation.
This feels huge to me to see this sentence written out.

LC she could still attempt to use me in this way.

I’m going to stay on this a minute. Feels like a profound reflection.

I spent years of my life trying to be her cure. I became in this position originally, as a child who wasn’t allowed to play with friends, attend church, or even complete my hw  if she had an emotional need of me. Into adulthood I was always her sounding board and did this so I could “earn” the love I wanted from her.

And no i didn’t have the knowledge of BPD but even having it doesn’t change my nature of trying to empathize and “counsel” her.

I’m still fried. Just fried. And to Zachariah’s  point this makes me angry not sad!

My mother doesn’t need me to be an emotional support.
Why would I give her the satisfaction of more attempts to emotionally overwhelm me just to appease guilt?
Face of Melinda

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married with kiddos

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 11:56:34 PM »

This does sound like a deep reflection! For now you're protecting yourself and that's what's right for you now. Makes sense. To
Methuen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 02:51:23 PM »

Excerpt
Boundaries in place do not cure my mom of dysregulation.

This is true, but I don't think they are meant to cure the BPD.  We can't cure our pwBPD, and neither can any of our behavior.  What boundaries do, is enable us to protect ourselves better.  Boundaries are for us, not the BPD.  Does this make sense?

Excerpt
No contact protects me from my mother trying to use me as her cure for dysregulation.  This feels huge to me to see this sentence written out.

This sounds like progress! Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Excerpt
I spent years of my life trying to be her cure. I became in this position originally, as a child who wasn’t allowed to play with friends, attend church, or even complete my hw  if she had an emotional need of me. Into adulthood I was always her sounding board and did this so I could “earn” the love I wanted from her.
Excerpt
I’m still fried. Just fried.

So while you are feeling like that, it's probably good to remain NC.  This is when you should be looking after yourself...ie. self-care.  Do some things that bring you joy.  Learn a new hobby?  Physical activity?  Reading?  A bubble bath?  Playing with a pet?  Cooking or baking?

Excerpt
Why would I give her the satisfaction of more attempts to emotionally overwhelm me just to appease guilt?
You don't.  Just do self-care while you are feeling like this.  Maybe consider waiting to move to LC until you are feeling emotionally safe again.  Don't rush it.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest