Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 04:17:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Member Gives Me Healing Insights on BPD Hurtful Behaviors  (Read 401 times)
zachira
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« on: April 03, 2020, 03:01:52 PM »

I have received some insights from another member on one of the relationship boards on why people with BPD treat others badly. It goes like this: The person with BPD puts on a superficial mask of being a nice person for people they are not close to, and it is a constant struggle to maintain the facade. When a person with BPD drops their facade of niceness, than out comes the ugly mean behaviors which brings out the shame about how the person with BPD feels inside, thus escalating the bad behaviors with those people who know this side of them. At some point, the person with BPD can feel so much shame about showing their ugly mean behaviors to others that they distance themselves and/or ghost and/or mount a smear campaign against the people they have shown the sides of themselves that they are so terribly ashamed of.
I have wondered for years why my mother and siblings with BPD just seem to suddenly go into a rage when people are especially nice to them, and when they spend lots of time with close relatives during holidays and vacations. I have also wondered why my siblings are just nastier and nastier towards me, as I continue to be the adult in the room and respond more appropriately. I know my sibilings and other family members with BPD for who they are, and I have invaded their secret world and boundaries. There is no way they can take back how horribly they have behaved or the shame they feel about showing the ugliness they feel inside.
I share this because the insights of this member are healing. It helps more than to just say it is not about you, it is about them and how they feel inside.
It also helps me to realize that boundaries are key. I have often tried to have close relationships with people who are not capable of having close relationships and with people who desire to keep the relationship at a superficial level. I am realizing it is important to meet people where they are, and not where I wish they were.

Methuen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 05:42:44 PM »

Excerpt
I am realizing it is important to meet people where they are, and not where I wish they were.

yes yes yes Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Dissolved

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 07:59:43 PM »

People with personality issues/disorders basically crap all over our good intentions, olive branches, basically anything that we offer as “good”. pwBPD/narcissistic abusers are on a spectrum. You know this, just throwing it in there.

In my own experience, I believe that you’ve hit the nail on the head. They know that you know who they are. They’re afraid of being exposed. At least the NPD’s. The BPD’s may be feeling shame and unable to handle it. It’s hard to know for sure. Patterns can tell us a lot.

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

Relationship status: Dissolved

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 08:31:14 PM »

Patterns might help you map out where to meet them where they are.

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
gotbushels

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 04:11:18 AM »

zachira   Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

When a person with BPD drops their facade of niceness [...]
Yes, makes sense. This seems consistent with that pwBPD's behave worst with people who are closest to them. I think there's a lot of causes and reasons behind this aspect of the disorder, and I don't think they have this deliberate and conscious chain of logic where they "drop" their act. I think it's quite automatic/learned, which emphasises your point that you're not responsible for this aspect of their behaviour—it's not about you, as you put it.

It also helps me to realize that boundaries are key.
Yes, I agree boundaries are critical. Boundaries are a lot about maintaining the dynamics of a given two-person relationship and how you want it to go. Not how you may have been wishing it to go. With "normal" people they seem to have this automatic set of structures set up—but with a BP, particularly in a close relationship, the sort-of fluid structures of how they operate (socially and psychologically) mean that you have to be the one to set up those boundaries and structures in your relationship with them.

I am realizing it is important to meet people where they are, and not where I wish they were.
Yes, agreed.

I'm glad to see you're somewhat enjoying your peace.   Smiling (click to insert in post)
shield-me

What is your sexual orientation: Other

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 10:23:50 AM »

zachira, you are a survivor! You go through so much  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

I totally agree with you about how BPD siblings behave. I have heard about about this theory called empath vs. narcissist. The BPD sibling is the narcissist but the victims (like us) are the empaths. Narcissists want to steal all the good energy us empaths have because BPD siblings are empty inside. Empaths are nice innocent people and victims. And, always remember empaths (victims of BPDs) always hold the good power. You are powerful in good ways and never let any BPD sibling take that away from you  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest